“Outstanding B&B, Highly Recommended.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Holbrook, New York
“Outstanding B&B, Highly Recommended.”
Reviewed 17 September 2007

We had an awesome experience staying at this B&B, the room was beautiful and perfectly maintained. The hosts Don and Ada were wonderful, they were friendly, gracious and very helpful to us. We very much enjoyed our morning conversations with them and the other guests over breakfast. The location is great and attractions are within walking distance. We would absolutely stay at Amelia Payson again during our next visit to Salem or surrounding areas. Outstanding B&B, Highly Recommended.

• Liked — The hosts and gorgeous room.
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ohio
Reviewed 22 August 2007

This was the first time we have ever stayed at a Bed and Breakfast, so we did not really know what to expect. We had chosen this due to it's location (within walking distance to everything in town), the value, and the positive reviews. First, the room was excellent, huge and clean. The hosts were awesome, and very friendly. They suggested activites and eats for us that were awesome. We were traveling into Boston the next day, and planning to take the train in to town. They suggested that we should take the ferry, because the day was beautiful. We took the ferry, and it was a great ride across the drink. I would, and alrady have suggested this B&B to friends, and we WILL go back!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My wife and I stayed at this wonderful guest house for three nights. The room was very nice, the location was within walking distance of all of the sights and the location was mostly quiet and peaceful for a nice getaway. The highlight of this place is in the quality of the hosts though. Donald and Ada are by far the nicest hosts we have ever had time to get to know at any B&B that we've been to. The conversations with them over breakfast were the highlight of our trip. The breakfast was wonderful every morning; both the food and the company. It is wonderful when your hosts are willing to sit down with a map of the town and help you get the most out of your trip. The other guests were more friendly than we've seen at other B&B's too. This must just be the friendly atmosphere that the hosts establish.

I just can't say enough about our experience at the Amelia Payson Houst and would recommend it to all.

• Liked — Hosts
  • Disliked — Firm beds
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ballmantx
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 20 June 2007

I enjoyed my 10-day stay at the Amelia Payson House immensely! Friendly hosts, lovely food, immaculate rooms-what more could one ask for? This air-conditioned B&B is within walking distance of all major attractions in Salem, and the hosts are endlessly patient with queries for directions. One day when I was running late, the host even gave me a ride to my appointment so I wouldn't miss it. Thanks for a great stay, Ada May and Donald! I'll be back!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Prynne1850
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2007

My friend and I recently stayed at the Amelia Payson House and although it was only for one night, we were throughly spoiled and impressed by what this bed and breakfast had to offer. First, we LOVED our room - it was spacious, tidy, and very clean. The decor also seemed to follow the tone set by the house structurally inside and out.
We were exhausted when we got there (10 hour drive from Mississauga to Salem), and Donald was kind enough to lug my heavy suitcase up the flight of stairs (thanks!). t was so cozy, considering the weather outside was anything but. Our poor timing found in cold weather followed by rainy (thanks to Hurricane Barry).
I have absolutely no complaints about breakfast - my friend got enjoy cereal while I indulged myself with the plentiful cornicopia of fresh fruit avialable to me. I'm a sensitive eater in the mornings so this was an added bonus. The hot tea served to us just what we needed to start the day. Not only did we get to enjoy the company of our hosts at the table, but we were able to converse with two lovely ladies also staying at the house. Overall, we were sorry to go and would highly recommend this to any who are considering staying in Salem. Both my friend and I agreed that there's something much warmer and more personal about a bed and breakfast than a hotel. I take a B&B any day.
Also, since everything was so close, we were able to leave our car parked behind the house and freely walk around the town. What a great experience!

Kathy & Kathy

• Liked — The amazing reception we recived and the comfort of our accomodations
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank FrugalK24
Chicago
Reviewed 21 May 2007

By far the best B&B I have been lucky enough to experience! Everything was perfect! The rooms were beautiful and roomy (lots more space and fun than my 4-star hotel in Boston)! Breakfast was fantastic and treats, tea & coffee were always available. But the best quality of the stay were the patrons. Ada & Donald make you feel like real guests in their home. Do not miss the chance to stay at such an incredibly beautiful home! Amelia Payson House was the icing on the cake for our trip to Salem.

• Liked — The Patrons (Ada & Donald)
  • Disliked — Nothing! Everything was Great!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Southern California
Reviewed 12 April 2007

When you ring the bell and the wonderful Ada greets you, you know you are in for something special. The beautiful, large guest rooms are impeccably clean and nicely appointed with sizable bathrooms. The beds are comfortable. The house is within walking distance to everything you may want to see in Salem.
Breakfast was served in a common dining area and was great. Fresh fruit, freshly baked muffins, stuffed french toast...and frest juice and coffee a'plenty served by Donald.
If you have stayed at bed and breakfasts before or are a first timer, you must give Amanda Payson House a try. From the charming hosts to the comfort of the house to the great breakfast, you can't go wrong!! We can't wait to return!!

• Liked — The Hosts, the atmosphere, VERY clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darkenfra
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 16 April 2007
One plus about reading reviews on this site is knowing that our guests have arrived home safely. We appreciate that you had a good time in Salem and that we could play a part as ambassadors of hospitality for Salem.
Ada May & Donald Roberts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#3 of 9 in Salem
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!