“An enjoyable experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Melrose
“An enjoyable experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed in the guest house out back and found the room exquisitely charming. The bed was very comfortable and the room itself was large. On either side of the fireplace, two small closets had been turned into the bathroom. One held the sink and toilet and the other held the shower.
If you are not looking for this old type of New England charm then this is not the place for you. I am from the area and was staying there for a wedding at the Peabody Essex Musuem. So if you are someone who is looking for this type of experience, then I hightly recommend the Hawthorne Hotel. Some of my family stayed in the hotel proper and thoroughly enjoyed their experience as well. But, as I said, we are all hearty New Englanders.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear May C:

Thank you so much for your kind words about our guest house, the Fidelia Bridges House. You are so correct that staying in a building that was built in 1807 is a very different experience, and not one that every guest is able to appreciate. But the ones who do really get it, and that appears to be the case with you!

You also understand that the nicest place to visit in Salem is the Peabody Essex Museum, and we totally agree with you about that assessment. What you may not know is that we have a lovely package that you can buy which includes tickets to PEM, as well as a gift certificate to spend in their wonderful Gift Shop.

Thank you again for writing this lovely review. We are sincerely appreciative, as it gives our future guests a first-hand account of what staying in our Guest House is all about.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Turkish first
New Haven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

The Hawthorne has lovely rooms and, importantly, superbly firm and comfortable beds that provided an excellent night's sleep. The room in which we ate breakfast was elegant yet not staid, and the dishes were tasty. Everything you would want to see in Salem is within walking distance. I would also put in a plug for dinner at Finz by the water for excellent seafood.

Room Tip: There was no pool or spa, but we knew this before our stay.
2 Thank Eric G
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Eric G:

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We sincerely appreciate every guest who takes the time from their busy schedule to do something like this. So many of us rely on these kinds of review sites, but they are only as good as the input such as yours that come to them.

We especially appreciate your kind words about our beds. Our mattresses are made right here in Salem by the Gardner Mattress Company, so we are acting locally to provide you with an excellent night’s sleep.

We are also very appreciative of your kind compliments about your breakfast dining experience. Should you choose to do so, we always love getting separate reviews of Nathaniel’s Restaurant on TripAdvisor, as sometimes that is what guests search, rather than simply on the Hawthorne Hotel.

We refer many guests to Finz for their excellent seafood. Thank you for mentioning their excellence as well. I will be sure to share your comments with the owner of Finz.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Lowell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My wife and I recently spent a Friday night here and really enjoyed it. We'd never stayed in a historic hotel before so we weren't sure what to expect. The rooms are somewhat small but that added to the charm of the hotel and was perfect for the two of us. The room was very clean and the king size bed was pretty comfortable. The look and feel of the hotel makes it easy to get a sense of stepping back in time to the hotel's early days in the 1920's and 1930's. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. As a bonus, the hotel is ideally located to all the main attractions in Salem. Everything is within easy walking distance. We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit Salem.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jay H
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Jay H:

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this lovely review. You certainly gave an accurate picture of what most of our guests think of staying in our hotel.

We do not pretend to be a modern hotel, but instead focus on excellence in customer service combined with a hotel that has all of the modern amenities such as true high-definition television on 32-inch flat panel televisions, clock-radios with iPod, iPhone and related docking stations, complimentary Wi-Fi, excellent beds with double the number of pillows you would expect, and the largest on-site parking lot in Salem, all located within a very walkable area proximate to all that Salem has to offer.

The charm of the property is apparent, as you have noted, and we sincerely appreciate your kind comments about that, and know that your review will be helpful to other travelers.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Niagara Falls, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The location is great seeing that it is in short walking distance to the sights of Salem however the rooms are small with not very many amenities. Not to mention the renovations that were going on. They put us in a room three doors down from the chaos and was awaken by a sander every morning at 7am. The renovators had no consideration for the guests staying for they were loud, swearing and even smoking. My husband and I found garbage for the pervious guests and old toothpaste in the sink. My husband and I are planning one more stay after the renovations are complete just to try and be fair but if our satisfaction is not met then, we will not be staying again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steffirose23
Dear Steffirose23:

Please accept our sincerest apologies for failing to meet your expectations during this most recent visit. We are very sorry that you experienced the construction noise that you did. We did try to notify every guest before arrival of the construction work going on in the hotel, and it appears we might not have gotten that letter to you letting you know that the construction would be going on starting at 7 am each day. It is imperative that we get this work done, so the quality of all of our bathrooms will be the best we can have them be, and that the work is done before the busier seasons arrive.

I am truly more concerned about the two housekeeping issues that were missed, as there is certainly no excuse for anything like that. The two staff members who were involved (the person who cleaned the room and the person who inspected it) have received the appropriate corrective counseling to make sure nothing like this ever is allowed to happen again.

I am surprised to read your comments about the amenities of the hotel. Here is what I know we provide to our guests in the way of amenities: complimentary morning coffee and tea service, complimentary USA Today newspapers, true high-definition television, including complimentary HBO, on 32-inch flat panel televisions, clock-radios with iPod, iPhone and related docking stations, complimentary Wi-Fi, excellent beds with double the number of high-quality pillows you would expect, triple sheeting, high thread-count linen, duvets, complimentary passes to the Salem YMCA in addition to a small fitness center here in the hotel, full Room Service for food and beverage service offered 18 hours per day, and free on-site parking.

Because of your comment, as compared to what I have listed above, we would honestly be very interested to learn what kind of amenities one would expect in a hotel charging what we do, for a room with two queen beds and a full bath plus a half-bath?

We are sincerely pleased that you wrote you would give us another opportunity to show you the kind of excellence in hotel lodging that has made the Hawthorne Hotel what it is today, and thank you for your taking the time to write this review. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss our hotel amenities, you can call the hotel at 978-744-4080 and ask for me. I'm certain such a conversation would be mutually beneficial, and result in better service to future travelers as well.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I recently visited the tavern and hotel to see if it was the right fit for me and my family! The answer is NO! The hotel is dark and dingy. The food in the tavern eis less than good... The only savior was Ceni in the tavern... Knowledgable, helpful and curtious! Not only did he know about the Hawthorne but about the surrounding Salem area! Great service on his part but not on the cold, dark and dingy front desk and lobby... Save your money and go down the street to the waterfront :(

• Stayed April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mages4192
Dear Mages4192:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your visit to the Tavern. While I am very pleased that you received excellent service from Ceni, we are sincerely sorry that you did not otherwise enjoy your time with us.

We obviously have a very successful hotel operation here, including an excellent reputation for our food and beverage. It seems that you were not impressed, and we would like to know what we can do to improve. If you would contact me directly, I would like to make amends to you if we have not done so already. You can call me at 978-744-4080.

Crozet, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just spent two nights at the Hawthorne and loved it!

We had a 2 room suite, which was perfect for travelling with the kids. The kids room had a sofa bed, their own TV and was separated from our bedroom by a bathroom and entryway. The rooms were newly remodeled and beautifully decorated. Most importantly, our bed was super comfortable. This was especially appreciated after days filled with endless walking.

The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. I contacted them a couple of times prior to our stay and they made a point of making sure all of our needs were met. This included information on tours, great places to eat and where to find the local grocery store.

The hotel was going through renovations during our stay so there was construction on our floor, opposite side of the building, during the day. The hotel emailed us at the time of our reservation to make us aware of the construction, so we could have chosen to stay somewhere else if we felt it would have been a problem. The workers were gone by 4pm and we were out most of the day, so it didn't bother us at all.

The only disappointing part was the restaurant. We had breakfast there and my daughter's french toast and my bacon were overcooked. I went for a healthy sounding muffin, which was small and definitely not healthy. Hence us finding out where the grocery store was :-).

I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend this hotel and will absolutely stay there if we are in Salem again.

Room Tip: Do be aware that the front of this building faces a somewhat busy street. If street noise bothers yo...
2 Thank ShellyT792
Dear Shelly T:

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I am very pleased to see that you were so happy with your room, the hospitality and communication with the front desk on behalf of the hotel, and even the lack of interference with your enjoyment of your time here by the construction.

Naturally we are appalled that you had a poor experience in Nathaniel’s for breakfast, as we do enjoy a good reputation for excellence in breakfasts there, with many people in the community even coming there for special occasions.

I have copied your review to the culinary and dining services team members so they can see their faux pas, and we all offer our sincerest apologies to you. If you will kindly contact me, I would love to be able to refund the money you spent for that breakfast, or find some other way to make amends to you. It is very embarrassing to us when one of our guests has such an experience, and that would be the right thing to do for you, in our opinion. You can call me at 978-744-4080.

Thank you again for all your kind comments. We do look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

new to the area looking around for a place for family to stay when they visit. Tried some food and drinks in the tavern. . The staff was ok ceni in the tavern was good, attentive, good server. When asked to see a room at the front desk, the elevator was very small and padded walls? Was brought to a suite to see the Emmerton suite where the bathroom was newly renovated very small and in the shower a window and covering was a shower curtain? No and the toilet was like a public toliet. The rest of the was wear down.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank pearl1616
Dear pearl1616:

We obviously have a very successful hotel operation here, including an excellent reputation for the quality of our property overall. It seems that you were not impressed, and we would like to know what we can do to improve. If you would contact me directly, I would like to make amends to you if we have not done so already. You can call me at 978-744-4080.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
The Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College
Winthrop Arms Hotel
Winthrop Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Winthrop

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!