“Historic Charm & Exceptional Customer Service Make the Hawthorne Hotel THE Place to Stay on the North Shore”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Canterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The thought occurred to me that I've had the pleasure of staying at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, Massachusetts many, many times and have enjoyed every single visit yet have never written a Trip Advisor review letting people know what a wonderful place it is. Time to amend that!

I first started staying at the Hawthorne in the fall of 2010 while on a visit to my daughter's college in nearby Beverly though I had been wanting to stay since having a wonderful lunch at The Tavern in October of 2008. Since then I've stayed at the Hawthorne more times than I can remember with my last visit being this past April.

Having had lots of time to build up expectations as to what a stay at the hotel named for Salem's native son and literary phenom, Nathaniel Hawthorne, might be like I've got to say that I was not disappointed in the least. All of my expectations were not only met but exceeded as I was treated like visiting royalty by the staff who obviously know exactly what good customer service is and deliver on just that. My youngest daughter and I enjoyed that first visit so much that we've made the Hawthorne Hotel our "go to" place whenever I wander up to Salem - which has become a lot over the past few years!

Walking into the lobby of the hotel with its overstuffed couches and chairs and beautiful floral arrangements sets the tone for what one's stay is going to be like - gracious elegance minus any pretentiousness. From the hotel's comfortable guest rooms with new luxurious linens and recently renovated baths to the warmth of Nathaniel's - the hotel's award-winning restaurant that offers some pretty amazing specials on a regular basis - to the casual coziness of The Tavern where guests can enjoy scrumptious meals, delicious desserts, and taste-tempting spirits while sitting either at the bar or at one of their comfy tables fireside, there is just nothing to not like about the Hawthorne Hotel.

Of course being located in Salem where mass hysteria gripped the town in 1692 and the infamous witch trials ensued, there are rumours that the Hawthorne has its own haunted room or two also. Having stayed in both rooms where others have reported some form of paranormal activity, I tried to sleep with one eye open to see if anything went bump in the night but alas, I can only say that if anything out of the ordinary did happen I never noticed it as I was too busy comfortably sleeping the night away!

Others may have different tales to tell but as for myself the only haunting of the Hawthorne that I can report is myself in the halls as often as possible as the Hawthorne Hotel has rapidly become my "happy place" on the North Shore.

Room Tip: Rooms on the sixth floor towards the front of the hotel or on the same side as Salem Common offer so...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LindaOSki
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear LindaOSki:

Because I have a self-imposed policy of responding to each and every TripAdvisor review, I find myself now writing back regarding the absolutely nicest review we have ever received!

Thank you hardly seems adequate but certainly is appropriate – I just wish there were more monumental words to convey our feelings to you.

Should you find yourself traveling back to the Hawthorne Hotel, and is seems like that might be the case, I would certainly love to meet you in person to express our gratitude for such a lovely review. Please feel free to contact me at 978-744-4080 to speak to me in person, so that I might arrange to do that.

Thank you again, and again, on behalf of our entire TEAM here at the historic Hawthorne Hotel.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Turkish first
Fitchburg
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Last week my husband and I spent two days at the Hawthorne. From the time we entered the charming lobby, greeted by the most exquisite arrangement of fresh flowers, until check-out two days later, the historic charm was mirrored by old fashioned quality service. What was remarkable was the thoughtfulness of the craftsmen working on restoration. The charm of yesterday was carefully captured in the modernization of our room and bathroom. We are looking forward to a return trip with pleasure.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook Salem Common offer a wonderful view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Ellen D:

Thank you so much for all your kind words. We are always so very happy to hear from our satisfied guests. Oftentimes it is the guests who are happy that never take the time to write these reviews, so we are especially grateful that you did.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Recently stayed here for a conference. Our room was bigger than I expected, two double beds with two full bath; clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and Jess at the front desk was great about helping our group find a place to eat outside of the hotel. The rooms for the conference itself were great; not overheated or cold. LOVED the library downstairs; what a fabulous room. Lunch that was prepared for the conference was fair, but dessert was out of this world. This hotel knows its sweets! The location is prime for seeing the sights of Salem, very easy to walk to where you would want to go. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear 7savvytraveler:

Thank you so very much for your kind review of the historic Hawthorne Hotel. Most especially we love that you recognized Jessica for her excellent customer service skills. Because you did, she will receive an extra little something from the hotel.

We are grateful for all of your kind remarks, and so appreciate it that you mentioned a number of aspects, which helps to give others a good overview of what a stay in our hotel is like. Your review will be valuable to future travelers.

Of course, your final words say it all and we love reading them! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 30 April 2012

First rate professional and considerate customer relations, obviously the hotel really has earned its award on quality service. Apart from being attractive physically, the material hiccups here and there are far overcome by the quality in service.

Room Tip: I was given a lovely room 402, seemed people had my comfort and needs in mind from before I even arr...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Helen L:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this delightful review. We are always happy to receive feedback from our guests, as it helps us to know if we are doing well, or need to improve. We especially appreciate the fact that you recognize how good service can be so very important, and can help to overcome most everything.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

St. George, Utah
Reviewed 29 April 2012

On my first trip to the east coast, we decided to stay here. We planned to be in town on Halloween, and they had a ball going on. The atmosphere in Salem in Halloween is fun, and the history of the town is amazing! So much to see for you history buffs out there like me. The rooms were different than what I expected but overall I enjoyed it. The lobby was great and the location was perfect.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear TedV:

Thank you so very much for such a delightful review. We love that you still remember us so fondly from last October, and that you delight in the history of Salem.

If you liked our rooms in October, we think you will love them even more now, as we have continued to improve upon them during our recent renovations.

We do look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Port Angeles, WA
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We spent one night at the hotel utilizing a AAA package deal which included one free
dinner in the dining room, free breakfast for two, and two free admissions to a museum
of our choice. We loved the ambiance of the old hotel including the bar and the dining
room. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. My wife liked that the room was
very clean and the bed was comfortable. The flat screen TV with all the cable channels was
a nice bonus. We enjoyed our stay immensely. Great location. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear ronald k:

You are certainly correct when you noticed all the great value you received while staying at our hotel utilizing the AAA package deal. We value our partnership with AAA and the members of that organization, and we make sure that the deal is always the best you can get as far as our packages go. Therefore, when you outline things like this here, you are being very helpful to future travelers who might be members (or considering becoming members) of that organization.

We love how you noticed that we have been able to blend the ambiance of the old hotel with the new basics that travelers have come to expect wherever they stay. Our rooms all have flat-screen, 32” televisions with true high-definition cable, as well as iPhone docking stations/clock radios and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

Thank you so much for your kind recommendation.

Victoria, Mn
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Great service through out the entire hotel. Restaurant outstanding, and front desk ladies very knowledgable with the entire city.

Room Tip: Another eating restaurant is across the street and the antique shop across the street is also outsta...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear mumbojumboman:

While your review may be brief, it certainly covers much of the basic information that a future traveler might want or need.

Thank you so much for writing it. We sincerely appreciate your time.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!