“Couldn't Be Better”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I had seen the Hawthorne Hotel on my first trip to Salem but they were all booked up (it being the Halloween season), but I signed up for their email news and was offered a wonderful deal which I just took advantage of. My stay couldn't have been better. The room was beautiful, the food was terrific (I ate in both Nathaniels and the Tavern) and the staff is lovely. I have recommended the Hawthorne to all my friends. Salem is such a lovely town, and staying at the Hawthorne really enhances a visit. I hope to stay there many times in the future.

Room Tip: Sign up for news and deals on the Hawthorne Hotel website, which is how I got my fantastic deal.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Dear Marilyn S:

Wow, what a terrific review. Not only were you very complimentary to all of us here at the Hawthorne Hotel, but you also gave future travelers great suggestions about how to get good value when they travel here.

In addition to signing up on our website, you can also like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter for additional special deals, including the random “Juli says” specials.

We sincerely appreciate all guests who take the time to write these reviews, as we know that many travelers use them as their guideline for where to stay. It is important for guests who are happy with their visit to write, but sometimes easy to have the best of intentions which are never realized. Thank you so much.

We look forward to your return.

Juli

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Wonderful cuisine, fruit salad, best fish I have ever had. Food is dwarfed only in comparison to stellar service by Kristen and Manager Patrice!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear InOrder:

Thank you for taking the time to write this brief but wonderful review. I will make sure that Patrice and Kristen receive word of your review, and are appropriately thanked.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Edited to add: After I wrote the original review (below), Juli Lederhaus contacted me through TripAdvisor and offered me a partial refund as I was disappointed with some aspects of our stay. I really appreciated her prompt and friendly emails which definitely helped redress some of the issues we had while staying there.

Original Review:
I spent 2 nights here with my husband and it was fine but there is definitely room for improvement. At check-in, the girl was very helpful, telling us where restaurants etc were in the locality. She did warn us that there were some renovations going on but they shouldn't affect us as they were the other side of the hotel from us- this was not mentioned on the website. We took the lift to the 5th floor and did notice that wallpaper was peeling and it looked dusty in the corridor (although not sure if this was caused by building work). On the right they had closed off an area for building work and our room was around to the left. It is an old hotel and you can hear the plumbing from other rooms if someone flushes a toilet, runs the taps etc and we also heard snippets of conversations. The room looked a little tired but the bathroom was ok.

On the first morning we were awake early due to jetlag and when the building work started at 7am we heard the workman talking and yelling very audibly. As we were already awake we did not complain as it may not have woken us but it did seem to be very inconsiderate.

We ate breakfast there the first morning and it was really good, especially the waffles with orange honey butter. Breakfast is a little pricey and service was slow but it was still good. The next day (Easter Sunday) we went to get breakfast at 9.20 (it is usually served until 10.20 on sundays), but there was a sign outside saying it finished at 9am. We asked a member of staff what was going on and they said they were preparing for a brunch later so they finished breakfast early. We were not told at any time that breakfast was finishing earlier (it was not included in our price but we still should have been advised). The staff member did not suggest anything else. In the lobby we met a member of staff who said they hoped we were having a good day. We told him our problem but again there was no help forthcoming. Eventually I asked the girl at reception and she advised us that there was a good place not too far away (about 10 mins walk) called Reds. We went there only to find it closed. I rang the hotel and they gave us the name of another place another few minutes walk away. I was not impressed that they did not try and accommodate us at the hotel, or at least have the names of places that were open - it seemed like their brunch was more important than the goodwill of the guests.
Overall it was ok but there definitely needs to be some work done.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MillicentDDublin
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2014

Dear Sheila R,

Thank you so much for the kind comments. We think the highest compliment a guest can pay us is when they bring their friends along to enjoy the Hawthorne Hotel and when they show their friends all of the special things about our unique property. It often feels like the guests are treating our hotel as their home away from home.

We are happy that you appreciated the hot cider in the lobby. If you ever stay with us during the summer you will find it that has changed into ice-cold lemonade.

We can’t wait to welcome you back for your next October visit!

Reviewed 10 June 2012

One of the only places in Salem still open after our evening tour. Coming in from the rain we found the Tavern very cold (I was freezing) and uncomfortable. Food was less than mediocre, I had a basic BLT and fries (fries were awful) and my husband had turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, which he said were ok. We did however enjoy the hot bread and a bean and bacon soup! Should've stuck with that only!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1CrazyTraveler
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear 1CrazyTraveler:

We are one of the few places in Salem that serves food late, and we usually find that people are very appreciative of that fact. I apologize that you had a less-than-perfect experience. I was certainly disappointed to read your review here today. We do work very hard to please our guests, but it is apparent that we did not complete that task when you came to the Tavern last month.

I wonder if you mentioned to the staff that you were cold when you came into the room? We always are trying to please our guests, and will instantly make adjustments when an issue is brought to our attention, including lighting a fire in the fireplace if that will help. Did you ask and we were unresponsive, or did you feel that what was there was what we had to offer and not say anything?

In regards to your food, it appears that your husband’s meal was okay, but you did not like our fries. Again, I wonder what made them “awful” and would certainly appreciate knowing more. Did you mention your dissatisfaction to the server or ask to speak to a manager? We do always have a manager on duty who can resolve issues for our guests.

If you would feel comfortable doing so, I would appreciate your calling me so that I can endeavor to make things right for you. The hotel phone number is 978-744-4080. I feel I can always create a better outcome for both parties when we engage in a conversation.

Thank you for considering these questions, and for your feedback. We do know that it is through all kinds of feedback that we are able to improve on what we do.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I recently stayed at the hawthorne hotel. The sorriest day in my travel experience. The room was tiny, and had a distinctive odor that was not very pleasant. It is understandable that people desire to keep buildings of historical interest in operation. However, in my opinion, the public would be better served if this hole was leveled and a more customer friendly place was built.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank talis4
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Dear Talis4:

We were certainly disappointed to read this review, for several reasons. First, it concerns us because we have no knowledge that you contacted us upon arrival to let us know of your disappointment in your room, as we would certainly have taken action to rectify things for you if you had.

Second, your review seems very much counter to virtually every other recent review on this site, which makes us wonder if you are possibly reviewing the wrong hotel?

Third, we have done so very much to our hotel to preserve its historic appeal while updating all of the important aspects of a hotel stay, from high-thread count linens, multiple, very comfy pillows, flat panel high-def televisions, iphone/ipod docking station clock radios, new bathrooms including all new copper pipes and new ventilation, that we find your commentary that our hotel is a "hole" very perplexing.

I would appreciate your contacting me to see if there is anything that I can do for you at this point. The Hawthorne Hotel phone number is 978-744-4080. Please ask for me and refer to this review.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I enjoyed staying in a wonderful suite, room 612, at the Hawthorne Hotel. It was comfortable and roomy. From the front windows you had wonderful vistas west and can watch the sun set. From the windows on the south side you can catch a glimpse of the harbor! The hotel was quiet, the breakfast delicious!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear MMR48,

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We are so happy you enjoyed staying in one of our suites. The suites are all corner rooms with lovely views, no matter the room.

We are also pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast with us. Many Salem residents say that Nathaniel's is THE place for an elegant breakfast. In fact, yesterday the Mayor brought a young elementary school student in for breakfast. The student had "won" breakfast with the Mayor because of a school accomplisment. You certainly stated the situation correctly when you said we offer quiet elegance.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We booked two rooms, for two couples, both at the same price. We arrived to be greeted by a lovely foyer/lounge that oozed New England style and cosiness. Each couple was checked in by a different person and off we went to view the first room. What a wonderful sight it was! Sun streaming through two huge windows with views over the trees in the park outside - the room was beautifully furnished with two large beds, comfy chairs, and a lovely bathroom. Leaving the first couple in their room, off we along the corridor to ours. What a shock that was! There are obviously two VERY different styles of room in this hotel. Our's was tiny, dark and had a "view" of the back of the hotel plus all of it's workings and we've seen bigger bathrooms in a caravan. It was difficult to believe that the two rooms were in the same hotel. A phone call to reception confirm that all of the outside rooms were taken for our first night, but we would be moved to one the following day for our second night. The staff were helpful and accommodating, but it seems odd that, having booked months in advance, we were not allocated two outside rooms in the first place.

I don't know if the inside and outside rooms have different tariffs (if not, they really should) but we had both paid the same amount so really should have both had the same standard of room. Our second room was just as lovely as the other couple's so we assume all outside rooms are of the same high standard.

The rest of the hotel oozes charm and comfort and is well situated in Salem with everything within easy walking distance. We all decided it must be a magical place to be in the winter when the fires are burning and it's dark and snowy outside.

All in all we would heartily recommend the hotel - just make sure you get outside rooms!

Room Tip: Make sure it's an outside one.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Sarah-Keeling:

Thank you for writing to us. I apologize that at first you did not like your room, but the original instructions we received from the reservation process indicated that you desired rooms proximate to each other, and therefore we did what we were requested and kept your rooms close to each other. Your room assignment was nothing other than trying to follow instructions.

Once we were able to find out what you really wanted, we were able to move you to another floor, and thus insured the kind of room view that you wanted, more than being close to your traveling companions.

In a small hotel such as ours, with 13 different room types, sometimes matching all of the requests with the available rooms is a bit of a puzzle. I am happy to learn that we were able to satisfy you in the end, and so pleased to see that you would heartily recommend our hotel.

Should you decide to return to Salem again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would be more than happy to insure that you receive the best available room, which most completely satisfies your travel requirements.

With kind regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!