“Grand Old Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Frederick, Maryland
“Grand Old Hotel”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This hotel has been lovingly maintained/renovated(?) and is a spotless piece of old world charm. Elevators have cushioned paneled walls, the baths are modern and up-dated. The staff takes pride in working there as one maintenance person revealed that he and his extended family all work at the hotel. The personal commitment and pride shows, The location is very good right on the main square and a block or two from the major tourist attractions in Salem. (Salem itself however was a disappointment).

, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Keith58:

How nice of you to notice all of the things that make the Hawthorne Hotel so special. We do take a very personal interest in providing the best experience for each and every guest who comes to our hotel.

Because of our concern that each guest has an enjoyable visit, we were very distressed to read that Salem itself was a disappointment to you. There are many aspects to Salem, and I have to wonder if your expectations were not met because we did not help you find the kind of interesting things to see here that would have meshed with your personal interests.

Please feel free to call me at 978-744-4080 so we can discuss your interests to see if we can facilitate a better visit for you next time. I would be happy to try to help.

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I hope we can help you have a better visit to Salem next time.

Kind regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hawthorne with our boxer dog. They greeted her with a toy, we had a lovely room on the 6th floor that overlooked the common. It was very nice. The staff were customer service oriented, we had room service and were impressed with the service and the delicious food. They even offer pet dishes for the pampered pooch or one on a special diet of chicken and rice or something. I hope we get back there again soon.

, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Rose Mary S:

Thank you so much for the lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We are especially happy that you enjoyed our pet-friendly approach in welcoming the special member of your family.

The Hawthorne Hotel is the only lodging property in Salem that offers true Room Service, so it is especially heartening to read that we delivered impressive service and delicious food.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed at the Hawthorne for one night before moving on to Boston. It is an old hotel so the room was small but manageable. The decor and furnishings were lovely, antique looking. We had a comfortable bed and shower worked well. The air conditioning was good and you could also open the window if you preferred. The hotel was clean and staff were friendly.

Breakfast is not included but we had a very good breakfast in their restaurant. The hotel is well located within walking distance of shops, restaurants and attractions.

Now for the haunted part. It may have been the fact we were in Salem or exhaustion from two weeks on the road but I think our room was haunted. I kept hearing a scratching sound coming from the nightstand but there was nothing there and my husband could not hear it. Eventually it went away and I went to sleep. During the night my husband woke me to ask me what I wanted. Dazed and confused I asked what he was talking about. He had heard a women's voice call out his name and thought it was me, it was not. Enjoy your stay at the Hawthorne and don't worry the ghosts are friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Dianne228:

Thank you for taking the time to write to TripAdvisor about your stay at the Hawthorne Hotel. We sincerely appreciate each and every review we receive.

Thank you so much for all the nice comments that you made. We are always happy to hear from our guests about what they like in our hotel.

I’m not sure what to say about your “experience” with a potentially friendly ghost? We occasionally receive feedback of that nature, but when TAPS was here they could not find anything.

Thanks again for your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The Hawthorne is a nice older hotel located within walking distance of many of the Salem attractions. I rented a suite on the 2nd floor (smoking floor). The room was of a good size, and very clean. I was amazed that I really couldn't smell much of a cigarette odor. Since there is just one main control for the entire building, guests really don't have any control over the a/c or heat in the individual rooms. It would have been great to have been able to leave the windows open in the evening, but my suite overlooked the main road and there was way too much road noise.

Apparently, a lot of wedding receptions are held in this hotel, and there was a really big reception on our floor the first night we were there. The hotel only has 2 tiny elevators in the building, and they were both monopolized by the wedding party. One of the wedding guests suggested that my 72 year old mother take the stairs. Checkout was a pain in the neck because everyone was trying to get on the elevators to check out at the same time.

As for Salem, I was completely disappointed. There wasn't anything of historical significance related to the witch trials to be seen. We ended up leaving Salem a day early because of this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main road are very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear xtrasigner:

TripAdvisor just came out with a new feature, so now I can see exactly which reviews I have responded to (or not) which in your case was not.

I want you to know we appreciate all reviews on this site, and all of the feedback given to us by our guests, and I am sorry to have missed your review earlier.

While I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay, I can assure you that we do not appreciate guests who suggest to a 72-year old woman that they take the stairs! I wish I had known about that then, as I would have certainly tried to do something to take the sting out of that kind of cruel remark.

Regarding your disappointment with not finding anything really related to the witch trials, I have to point out to you that was a period of history in Salem that was really swept under the rug for the longest time, and very few actual relicts remain. However, there are some, and if you care to learn about them more, I would be happy to assist you in knowing where to look. However, there are many things of historical significance to see in Salem, including the Peabody Essex Museum, the House of the Seven Gables, the Steven Phillips Trust House, and our lovely historic districts such as the McIntire District, and more.

I do hope you will consider coming back again another time. Perhaps we can assist you in seeing more of the real Salem then?

With kind regards,

Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This was one of the hotels booked for our niece's wedding in Beverly and we were glad this is the one we picked. We really enjoyed the historic atmosphere in the hotel, especially the beautiful lobby where we had some good times visiting with other family members. We appreciated the morning coffee and newspapers provided. The staff was EXCELLENT and we appreciated their helpfulness. Yes, the bathrooms are small and we had trouble adjusting the shower but the renovators put in everything they possibly could in the small space. We appreciated the shelf around the bathroom since it lacked counter space. Yes, the elevators are slow but it gave us an opportunity to meet folks from all over the country. We did try the Tavern on the Green and found the food and service to be excellent. We liked having free parking right on site and the location of the hotel made it so easy to walk every where we wanted to in Salem. We did not use the internet but know that the wireless system was being upgraded last week while we were there.

Dear Bama29501

Thank you so much for the excellent review. Your thoughtfulness and fulsome descriptions of why a stay at our hotel was special for you will certainly be of help to future travelers trying to decide where to stay.

We appreciate your kind remarks about our bathroom remodel. We did try to make our bathrooms as user-friendly as we could. Now our new Wi-Fi is up and running and doing an excellent job of providing every user within the Hawthorne Hotel with an excellent experience, all at no charge to our guests.

Thank you also for noting the excellent hospitality you received from our staff. That is the one thing we feel really sets us apart from other hotels – that our staff members are truly hospitable, and will go out of their way to offer the best in service to our guests.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hawthorne Hotel in the future.

Sussex, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed for three nights on business at this hotel. While it has historic roots, it was not an ideal place for business. The internet was slow, rooms old, the "workout center" had two pieces of equipment and everything was musty. Maybe for vacationers this would be more fun but it just felt outdated and mediocre.

I will probably not stay here again given there are better options in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah B
Dear Sarah B:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I would like to address several of your concerns.

First, we just the end of last week finished having a totally new Wi-Fi system installed in the hotel. We went from 9 repeaters to 21, and increased the bandwidth by 500%, so the issues you encountered with our free Wi-Fi are a thing of the past.

Also, we do have an alternative arrangement for people who want a full workout facility. We offer complimentary passes to the Salem YMCA which has an excellent facility including two indoor swimming pools, steam rooms, saunas, indoor tract, basketball and a complete array of fitness equipment. We do have a small fitness room on site, but it does have top-of-the line treadmill and stationary bicycle for those who might want something quick. The Y is located only 4 blocks from the Hawthorne Hotel – a very easy walk from here.

We realize we cannot be all things to all people, but we do try very hard to address each and every comment that we receive, and to that end I would appreciate it if you would contact me so I can further address your particular issues. Our phone number is 978-744-4080 and you only need to ask for me.

Thank you again for writing.

maui
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Very nice room..tiny bathroom...close to everything...lots of parking. My only gripe is that it was quite pricey. Its fun to stay in a historic hotel in a great location, but it was too expensive.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear mauigirl8888:

Thank you for taking the time, and making the effort to review your stay in our hotel. We do price our rooms according to the demand, so rooms can be priced at many different price points. Generally the earlier you make your reservations, the better price you are likely to encounter.

Many hotels charge extra for things like parking and wi-fi, but we do not. It is also very costly to do the upkeep on an historic building, and that is factored in the cost of our rooms.

Thank you for your compliments about the quality of your room and the location of the hotel. We are glad you experienced an overall excellent stay.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!