“The only place I stay in Salem”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Brooklyn, New York
“The only place I stay in Salem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

Just got back from a four day stay here yesterday. I have lost count of how many times I've stayed here now. As soon as I arrive I feel welcome, a few of the front desk girls already know my name when I get there-that's how attentive and nice they are. One night, unfortunately, I was outdoor dining when a dog ran away from its owner and One of the girls called the police for me because my phone was uncharged. On a side note, I always bring a donation of books for their lending libraries. As for dining, I always find time to dine at Nathaniel's downstairs for breakfast. I love their pancakes. Always eat at The Tavern. The portions are huge, even when you get an appetizer. The coffee in the lobby is really good, too. Thank you to everyone at The Hawthorne for all that you do.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank KarenDeGennaro
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear KarenDeGennaro:

We certainly enjoy welcoming you back again and again here at the Hawthorne Hotel. We love that so many of our guests are repeat customers, as that pays us the highest compliment – to return is the highest recommendation you can give an establishment.

I will be sure to share your kind comments with all of the team here at the hotel, from the girls at the desk to the staff of the Tavern and Nathaniel’s, and all of the team members that our guests don’t see but are so important to the proper functioning of the hotel. We all thank you for your loyalty and kind comments.

With warm regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Turkish first
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stopped over in Salem on our way up the coast and are so glad we selected the Hawthorne for our one night there. Because some of the reviews had mentioned the small rooms, we reserved a corner room and WE LOVED IT! The staff was just super! Yes the bathroom is not what you might expect in a large chain upscale hotel, but the way they have updated/renovated this lovely old hotel is marvelous! It was spic and span clean, freshly painted, lovely detail. You felt like you were staying in the large bedroom of a very nice older home rather than a hotel. We ate in the "pub" downstairs which is more, really, like a nice restaurant (not typical pub fare) with very comfy chairs, lovely decor, but the menu offers a much less expensive option to the very nice upscale restaurant on the other side of the lobby. It was nice to relax and enjoy a drink and then simply take the elevator to our room! The manager allowed us to remain parked there for the next day so that we could walk and sight-see. If we return to Salem we will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear tnroses4me:

We adore your description of what you felt your stay in our hotel was like – we try to think of it like a giant home! Thank you so much for the charming review.

We also really appreciate your comments about the Tavern, our more casual restaurant that serves the same menu from 11 am to 11 pm every day. We have a very loyal local following, but it seems that our hotel guests love us just as much as our neighbors do.

It is a delight to read that you would stay with us again if you return to the area, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a very nice hotel in an excellent location. The front desk staff was very pleasant, professional, and helpful. The room was very clean. It was also very small, but that was not a problem. The bed was very comfortable and the hotel was quiet. It is a plus to have a parking lot. With this location you can park your car for the duration and walk to the major attractions.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Dotcouple:

While your review might be brief, you most certainly covered all of the important issues for anyone considering staying in a hotel – location, room cleanliness and comfort, especially the bed, parking and your interactions with our staff. We seemed to have made the mark in all of these areas for you, and we sincerely appreciate your writing this review to let others know of your satisfaction with the Hawthorne Hotel.

Thank you so much for your time and effort in writing this review!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed in several places on our driving trip to New England, and this was by far the friendliest and quietest, with the most comfortable bed, and the cleanest bathroom. Our room was small, but for a couple's overnight stay this was certainly not a drawback. Love this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear S F:

I am certain there cannot be a more lovely review written in the same number of words! Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this for the benefit of future travelers to Salem. We especially love that you recognize both how friendly our staff members were and how clean your room was. Our beds are made right here in Salem by the Gardner Mattress Company, a made-in-America product of outstandingly high quality.

We look forward to welcoming you back again some time soon.

Jeffersonville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

The Hawthorne Hotel was much more than I expected. The customer service was wonderful. The building was historic and well maintained. I wish I had stayed more than one night and plan to visit again in the future for a much longer stay. My nine year old grandddaughter and husband were with me and the hotel delighted all of us. I look forward to making it a stopping point everytime I travel up the New England coast. We arrived in time to do some sight seeing but were too tired when we arrived back at the hotel to walk the five or ten minutes to nearby restaurants. Because we were casually dressed, we decided to dine in the tavern area. It was lovely and as a family we felt very comfortable there. The service was excellent and the menu choices were outstanding. The food was not your typical "bar food" but a full menu of dinner items. I had a delicious salad, and my granddaughter chose a delightful dish from the children's menu. My husband enjoyed his dinner as well. I look forward to staying there again.

1 Thank merrymerchant
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear merrymerchant:

We are delighted to learn that we gave you a fabulous surprise when you chose to stay with us at the historic Hawthorne Hotel. We are especially happy that what you were so happy about was the service that we offer at our hotel. We know that is one thing over which we have much control, and something we can improve on each and every day. We try very hard to listen to our customers and to anticipate their needs -- and we think that is something that does set our service apart.

It was also lovely to read about your nice experience in our Tavern Restaurant. While the atmosphere might be a touch more casual in the Tavern, we believe the quality of the food and service should still be top-notch, and it is so nice to see that we succeeded in making your visit so special there as well.

Now that you know what to expect from a visit, we hope you will return again and again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

East Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

The staff of this wonderful hotel was gracious to us from beginning to end of our vacation. The rooms were clean, spacious and very comfortable. We were even allowed to bring our two dogs, Nikki and Dusty, who were return guests. They welcome our pets with open arms and even have a menu for them too.

The first night there we were travel weary and we ordered room service from Nathaniel's restaurant located right in the lobby of the hotel. The food was melt in your mouth delicious right from the first course to the dessert. They were very attentive to our needs and even picked up the dishes after we were finished.

During our stay we also ate at their Tavern located at the bottom floor also. The menu was very varied and included everything from full meals to muchies.

What made it great was the fact that the hotel was located right next door to a large park where you could run and walk your dogs. At night they showed movies and sometimes throughout the year they have fairs. Shopping was close by.

The hotel was so centrally located we did not take our car out once. The wharf was close and we enjoyed the ocean views.

We enjoy the hotel so much we go twice a year and have been doing so for the past five years. Enjoy - make reservations today and you will not regret it.

Room Tip: I would look for specials and coupons that are posted from time to time on their online site.
1 Thank Marie V
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Marie V

It simply makes our day to receive a review like this here on TripAdvisor. Thank you so very much for being a loyal and regular guest.

You really were able to highlight so much of what makes a stay at the Hawthorne Hotel so special, as you created a word picture of your perspective of a visit to our property.

We really do appreciate our regular visitors, and cannot wait to welcome you and your fur family back again soon.

nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I needed to stay in a very oversold vacation town (Salem MA) on a summer weekend and I wasn't on vacation but moving my daughter. I could not find a hotel within 50 miles. I finally decided to call hotels directly and to my great surprise the Hawthorne Hotel had ONE availability!! So I grabbed it! Anyway the room was "off campus" in a historic home they owned next door to the Main Hotel building. Very very sweet hotel room as described. The bathrooms i are akin to Cruise Liner style (think small). We had a minor issue with Air Conditioning which the General Manager Juli made right. The one restaurant we tried Nathaniel's was excellent for breakfast with amazingly fresh food and fresh Corned Beef Hash!! Try that at a one of those chain Hotels. Very near the docks and historic areas this hotel is a keeper...

Room Tip: Traditional Hotel should stay in the Main building, those who can appreciate historical lodging can...
1 Thank jazzman69123456
Dear jazzman69123456:

Your review certainly points out how much value there is to an actual phone call rather than simply always relying on an on-line booking. We never put the rooms in the Guest House on-line for booking because we feel that they need special explaining to make sure that we match up the guest with the rooms in that 1807 house.

Thank you so very much for your very kind review. We love being different than the chain hotels, and we especially enjoy it when we are able to receive guests who appreciate this kind of accommodations.

We like being a keeper,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!