“Enjoyable stay”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a brief visit to Salem. The hotel is in a very good location, within easy walking distance from most of the sights and lots of shops and restaurants. The hotel has a free car park and offers free wifi in the rooms. It is quite an old building and is currently having some updating to the rooms ( new doors and things like that ). We did have a very comfortable stay though, and the hotel is full of atmosphere, which is great for a Town like Salem. The Hawthorne has two restaurants, one formal and one more casual. We ate in The Tavern on The Green ( the casual one ) on both nights, and enjoyed ourselves very much. We would certainly stay here if we visited Salem again.

Room Tip: Haunted room on 3rd and 6th floor - we stayed on 3rd floor but saw no spirits ! The House of the Se...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank riverside7
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear riverside7:

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad you could appreciate the unique atmosphere the Hotel has to offer from the guest rooms to our Tavern restaurant.

We are working through updating our rooms, though the shaving of the doors in the guest rooms is a result of the humidity trapped in the building this winter, causing the doors to swell. We appreciate how corporative all of our guests have been with us through this process.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review, though your stay was brief. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Salem.

Warm Regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Write a ReviewReviews (2,050)

Reviewed 16 September 2012

First of all, I got lost in Salem and found the surroundings so enticing. The building from outside is marvelous!
My first impression of the lobby was so great that upon checking in I stayed at the lobby looking around the beautiful designs and its inviting atmosphere.
I stayed in for 2 nights. The hotel staff was helpful, nice and always smiling. Very accommodating ladies and perfect match for the image the hotel wants to portray.
The room was small, which I requested upon making the reservation. Cozy, very clean. Bathroom was perfect.
The hotel is renovating many aspects of the interior. Upon ckin, the hotel staff advised me about it. And gave me the power to let the maintenance people know that my room was out of limits until I ck out. This was a plus to me.

Check out was at 11am which was a bit of an inconvenience for me, but not a big deal. Hotel staff took care of my bags until after 11am. fast and efficient checkout.

Overall, excellent experience. Didn't have the chance to tour the city but when I go back to Salem, my first option will be The Hawthorne Hotel. Totally recommend it, no doubt about it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Marco02

Dear Marco02:

Thank you for a glowing review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our lobby. First impressions are everything and we love hearing from guests who
immediately become enamored with the furnishings when first entering the Hotel.

I am glad you were not bothered by losing your way when you arrived at the Hotel. The area can be a bit confusing at times, but it is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the sites as you traveled.

Being able to navigate the city on foot often helps guest navigate the area, due to our proximity to all major attractions. We hope you will get to experience some of what Salem has to offer on your next visit.

Thank you again for all of your kind words.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We recently stayed at the pet and people friendly Hawthorne Hotel. It has a warm and inviting atmosphere. The staff is engaging, friendly, and accommodating in all facets; desk, luggage, maid, and dining services. We were traveling with our two dogs, a poodle and boxer. We were greeted with dog toys and offered pet services. Additionally, the location is outstanding. It is adjacent to the Salem Commons which was ideal for the dogs, and a block from the waterfront and historical sights. Once we parked our car it stayed parked. Everything we wanted was walking distance. We vacation in various parts of the country 5-6 times a year, and in recent memory cannot remember a more pleasant or enjoyable stay than our time at the Hawthorne. We highly recommend the charming Hawthorne Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank outerbks55

Dear outerbks55:

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was great to meet both you and your canine friends.

The Hotel prides itself not only its service to its four legged guests, but their owners as well. I am delighted to know that you felt comfortable and welcomed throughout your stay, from the front desk staff to our dining services team.

I am also pleased to hear how convenient our location was, not only for you, but your furry friends needing to stretch their legs on the Common. We love being able to offer our guests a central location to call home when they visit Salem, as it allows them to easily take in everything the city has to offer.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It will certainly benefit future Salem travelers.

Hopefully I will see you at the Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed at the Hawthorne on our family reunion vacation. Since there were four of us the extra sitting area in our room was great. The staff was wonderful ,they really make you feel special. We had a vacation package so breakfast was included and it was wonderful and the wait staff were all great

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicky D
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear Vicky D:

Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent stay at our Hotel. We are pleased we could play a small part in your family reunion.

I appreciate your comments about our staff. From the waiters and waitresses in the Tavern and Nathaniel’s to the many hard workers behind the scenes, our staff is the heart of the Hotel. I will be sure to share your review with them.

Hopefully we will see you on your next trip to Salem.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

A stay at the Hawthorne is a must if you're traveling to Salem! It has an old world elegance with updated amenities and a top notch, friendly and efficient staff. I've stayed at the Hawthorne twice on vacation and each time was a pleasure. The Tavern is a great place for dinner or just drinks - my husband and I loved the food and the atmosphere. Location is great for sightseeing.
I'll stay there as often as I can - my favorite hotel experience!

Room Tip: Go with the advice of the reservation/front desk staff! They are friendly and helpful.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 95KathleenM

Dear 95KathleenM:

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We love all the little “quirks” that make the Hawthorne a unique place to stay in Salem.

I am glad you noticed and appreciated the charm of the Hotel’s historic décor, but the updates we have made in the past year have enhanced the visits of many of our guests. Little things like a flat-paneled television, iPod docking station, and a few extra pillows can make a big difference in a guest’s experience at the Hotel and we are happy to know it made a difference for you during your stay.

We love hearing from our guests; especially those who have stayed with us multiple times. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed 9 September 2012

It was my first trip to Salem and my sig other and I had the best time enjoying the city. It was mostly due to the Hawthorne. Its proximity to everything in town is perfect, parking was best at any hotel I've stayed at and the staff was friendly above and beyond.

I was able to get coffee in the lobby before walking to a local yoga class (very walkable area) and then out again for breakfast. They have a jazz brunch on Sundays with a great menu for a prix fixe cost. The drinks are well made in the Tavern bar.

I should also mention that we were there for a wedding. From what I could tell, it was well organized, the food was good and it provided the perfect backdrop for the couple involved. In my opinion its a perfect venue for that academic couple with a love of history and literature.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat. It was absolutely charming and unforgettable...even if we didn't get to see the ghosts my boyfriend was hunting. :)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Dear Jennifer N:

Your words paint a very lovely review of what a stay at our hotel is like. Thank you so much for all that you had to say. We really appreciate our guests who take the time to write reviews here on TripAdvisor so that other travelers can know what our hotel is really like.

One of things we just learned about our Jazz Brunch is that it was voted by diners who use OpenTable to make restaurant reservation as one of the Top Ten Sunday brunches in the entire metro area. In fact, we are listed as #4. Given that area includes all of the restaurants in Boston, we were extraordinarily flattered and happy.

We also enjoy an excellent reputation for how well we provide all of the aspects of a perfect wedding reception, so it is nice to have you notice that aspect of your visit as well.

Thank you again for your charming review. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I enjoyed my stay very much. It is a beautiful hotel. Very friendly staff. Beautiful rooms. Great hotel to visit. The hotel was beautifully decorated for halloween. Everything (shops, restaurants, events were practically at ur door step. Great location. We will enjoy.

Room Tip: Love it. Very charming great stay.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank roeNy

Dear roeNY:

While your review is for a stay last October, it certainly is appropriate for future travelers to read. We are located in the epicenter of Halloween Central, Salem, Massachusetts. Thank you so much for writing this

We hope you will have the opportunity to return soon, and we look forward of being of service to you again.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
#2 of 7 in Gloucester
Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!