“The Snow Ball - An Evening to Remember”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Malden, Massachusetts
“The Snow Ball - An Evening to Remember”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Hello Juli:

I wanted to send you a quick note for an on behalf of one of your employee's, Melissa who serves at your front desk. She is a lovely, personable person with whom I made our reservations with for the Snow Ball this past Friday. She not only handle this reservation with such ease and made sure when I called on Friday morning that it would be possible for not only myself and my husband but another reservation I made for the Morrison's that we were able to check in early. She also was kind enough to make sure that we received the room rate for the Snow Ball

I think that when an employee goes above and beyond the call of duty and treat your guests with such kindness not only on the telephone but especially upon meeting Melissa in person on Friday, deserve to be made mention of.

I just wanted you to know that such a lovely young lady is a true asset to the Hathorwne Hotel.

I might want to mention that breakfast in the morning was delicious.

Happy Holidays!

Warm Regards,

Janet Pilleri
Pilleri Romano PC

Sent from my iPad

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the common at Christmas!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet P
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a warm experience at the Hawthorne Hotel! I’m pleased you enjoyed your time with us, and hope that the Salem Snowball was just as enjoyable.

We also appreciate you recognizing Melissa for her friendly and helpful approach in making your reservation, and in greeting you upon your arrival. We take great care in choosing staff who we believe will offer our guests the true hospitality that we strive for at the Hawthorne, and it is through feedback such as yours that we know we are doing just that. I will be certain to share your compliments with Melissa and the rest of our Front Desk team.

Thank you again. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Cheboygan, Michigan
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had nine crazy women stay at the Hawthorne for the Witches' Weekend in October. The hotel itself is very cool...old world elegance, but it was the staff that made the stay a wonderful experience. They were so courteous, quick to help whenever needed, and very funny!!!! We can't wait to go again, and would stay nowhere else, but the Hawthorne! Thank you for a fantastic stay!

Room Tip: Rooms 612 and 325 are haunted if you are looking for a "spooktacular" stay! Not a bad roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear jill k,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. October is certainly a unique time to visit Salem and the Hawthorne, and I’m pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. I also appreciate your compliments for our excellent staff. We pride ourselves on the hospitality that we offer our guests, and reviews such as yours let us know that we are on the right track.

I wonder if you know about our annual Halloween Party? It is our biggest event at the Hotel, and one of our favorites. The 2014 Halloween Party is set for October 25, and we are already looking forward to it!

Cabot, Vermont
Reviewed 9 December 2013

To celebrate my mother's 75th birthday, several of us traveled from all directions and met at the Hawthorne for the weekend (We booked 2 rooms). We thoroughly enjoyed Salem and the hotel was comfortable with really nice amenities. I am a linens snob (true) and loved the sheets and pillows! A big plus. I got free YMCA passes so I could swim laps on the visit. Another huge plus. The location is convenient and parking is plentiful. Really, this was just a fantastic weekend. I'd definitely go back. Did I mention the coffee in the lobby in the morning and the delicious hot cider in the lobby in the afternoon? Nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gail G
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Wendy S,

We are honored that you chose to celebrate such a momentous family occasion at the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room and bed to be comfortable. We take great care when choosing the mattresses and bedding for our guestrooms, and so I appreciate your feedback.

It’s wonderful that you took advantage of the complimentary passes we offer to the local YMCA. In addition to their two swimming pools, they also offer a large exercise facility, and we are glad to be able to offer this great amenity to our guests.

We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a recent opportunity to spend a couple of nights at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem,Massachusetts. The immediate feeling we had was that the staff was really committed to making their guests feel welcomed. It was a surprise to have such a youthful staff in such an older hotel.
The cleanliness of the facility combined with the friendliness of the front desk employees as well as the restaurant staff and housekeepers made our stay very enjoyable and would surely plan on staying at "The Hawthorne" on our next visit to Boston's North Shore.

Room Tip: A corner room is a plus!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John F
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear John F,

Thank you for sharing such a lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel and our staff. We believe that it is important to remember that we are in the hospitality business, not the hotel business, and we choose our staff accordingly. Kind words such as yours help us to know that we are on track, and I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our wonderful team!

Thank you especially for noticing the people who sometimes are not noticed – the housekeepers – who work so hard to maintain our clean rooms. We know that cleanliness is one of the most important things we must provide to our guests, and having you note that aspect so prominently is very fulfilling to us. I will be certain to share your comments with the entire team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was very impressed with my stay at Hawthorne. We wanted some ghostly activity but werent so lucky. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the food was excellent!!! I would stay here anytime I am ever in Salem again. The prices are very reasonable. I was even the VIP customer of the day when I stayed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sabrina B,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We love the way in which our VIP Guest program is allowing us to get to know and interact with our guests a little bit more, and so I’m glad this enhanced your stay.

I’m also pleased you enjoyed dining with us. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our Chef and Dining Services team.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

When we arrived at the hotel to check in the parking lots were completely full and there was no parking available on the side streets. We were going to a wedding reception at another location with no parking. The hotel was very busy with functions.
The young lady at the front desk was very helpful and gave us a parking pass that allowed us to leave our car in front of the hotel while we attended the reception and when we returned we moved the car to the lot. She also helped us with directions to our reception.
We stayed in room 417. It was good sized with a small but clean bathroom. This is expected in a historic hotel. Beds were comfortable and the room was very quiet despite the business of the hotel.

Room Tip: We liked 417.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Jan M,

We appreciate you sharing your lovely experience with us. I’m glad that not only did you find our front desk team friendly and welcoming, but that the clerk who checked you in was able to make your night easier by offering directions to the reception you were attending, and a temporary parking solution as well.

Our Deliverance Room, a deluxe room with two queen beds, is certainly comfortable, and I’m pleased that you found it clean and quiet. Our housekeeping team does an excellent job in maintaining our rooms, and I will be sure to pass along your compliments to them.

Drexel Hill
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My family recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel and must say it was just wonderful. The people at the front desk were very helpful, the room was spotless and loves the lobby area with coffee and the newspaper in the morning. We received a call from the lobby that our lights were left on and thank the staff for informing us. Location was perfect too and the best hotel to stay in Salem!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear T G,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We pride ourselves on offering true hospitality to our guests, and love to hear when our employees are doing just that. It’s great to know you found our front desk clerks to be welcoming and helpful during your visit. I’m especially pleased to know we saved you some hassle when we discovered you had left your car lights on!

We are very lucky to be centrally located in downtown Salem, just a short walk from the city’s many great attractions. As it seems you stayed with us in August, I hope you had a chance to visit the Peabody Essex Museum’s wonderful Faberge exhibit while it was here.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!