“highly recommend, our fourth stay at the Hawthorne late Dec.2013”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Boston, Massachusetts
“highly recommend, our fourth stay at the Hawthorne late Dec.2013”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

once again we returned, this time took advantage of the Hawthorne's package, dinner breakfast and best of all, passes to the PEM We particularly enjoyed the piano player and the waitress, stayed on Friday night, the manager, Juli had given us a dinner certificate - the food is standard American, good waitress and service, we prefer the food at The Tavern over Nathaniel's. Even though there was a wedding, it was only a party of five people, odd. We particularly enjoyed talking to two other couples, they were not staying at hotel but we highly recommended it. Although they tell you that you can have coffee anytime, it was not available in the late afternoon only hot cider, but that is a minor issue. We love the Hawthorne hotel, a very romantic get away for us and we live at the tip of Cape Cod !

Room Tip: pay the difference for a larger room, suites, and a view of the square we always prefer the higher...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear jamaica6100,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you took advantage of our Explore Salem package and enjoyed a tour of the fabulous Peabody Essex Museum.

Both of our restaurants offer quality menus and service, though each boasts a unique atmosphere. Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, hosts a piano player on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, as well as special performances during our Sunday Jazz Brunch. Our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green, is certainly an enjoyable place to relax by the warm fire after exploring Salem. I’m pleased you enjoyed dining in both restaurants and will be sure to pass along your kind words to our Chef and to our servers.

Just as a note for future visits, we do offer complimentary coffee to our overnight guests throughout the day. While it is true that we do not serve coffee in the Lobby in the afternoons, you are always welcome to visit the Tavern or Nathaniel’s and ask for your complimentary cup of coffee—to stay or to go!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband, daughter, and mother stayed in the suite overlooking the Common. The view was wonderful. The room was pleasant with lovely old furniture and comfortable bedding. I won the free night in the suite in a Facebook contest, and I'm so glad I did! The hotel staff were so friendly, helpful, and nice to us! We had never been to Salem and they gave us tips and advice on the best attractions. They also made us feel so welcome in their lovely hotel, and made our stay comfortable and memorable. We roamed about the hotel, exploring all the rooms, and I must say this is the most interesting hotel I have ever stayed in! It's the epitome of vintage, classic, timeless beauty. A lovely ballroom, wonderful rooms upstairs and downstairs, "hidden" delights. . .I can't say enough about it's old time charm. I especially loved the spooky rooms upstairs. There's a picture on the wall of a grand party in the ballroom, probably about 1925, and if you look closely. . .well, let's just say you expect to see Jack Nickolson's character from The Shining sitting in the seat at the bottom, with all the other ghosts!!! That really freaked me out in a good way! Salem is a lovely town, and the Hawthorne is right where it belongs in it!!! The Tavern is the restaurant inside where we ate, and all I can say is I'd eat there every day if I could! Delicious!!!!! Wonderful food, wonderful service. We didn't really try Nathaniel's, but we plan to when we return. We just couldn't get enough of The Tavern so we'd always end up there! It's a lovely hotel I highly recommend, great for anytime of year but I bet it rocks in October!!

Room Tip: Try to get room that give you a good view of the Common, as we did.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 6kiddos
Dear 6kiddos,

Thank you for sharing your lovely experience with the Hawthorne Hotel. As someone who had never before visited Salem, I am pleased that not only did our staff make you feel welcome, but they helped you to make the best of your visit with suggestions of sights to see. We choose and train our staff based on the belief that we are not in the hotel business, but the hospitality business, and it is through kind words such as yours that we know we are offering our guests the kind of experience they deserve.

We are very lucky to be centrally located in Salem, within walking distance of the city’s many wonderful attractions and shopping district. You are correct that October is a unique time of year for the city, and for us being in the center of the Haunted Happenings celebrations. Our weekends in October sell out quickly, especially the weekend of our annual Halloween Party. We do recommend the experience, but if you are considering staying with us at that time of year, make your reservations early!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Hawthorne Hotel in Salem is a hidden gem with superb dining. Nathaniel's is spectacular but my favorite is the Tavern which is a paneled room with a fireplace. Menu is diverse and everything is outstanding. When you are the in the area, stop by. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear sandycross26,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel, and of our two restaurants. Both Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, and Tavern on the Green, our pub-style restaurant, offer excellent service and delicious menus, and I’m pleased that you enjoyed both. I’m not at all surprised that you enjoy the Tavern’s cozy atmosphere and warm fireplace—we love it, especially at this time of year.

As someone who lives nearby, I wonder if you have tried our Sunday Jazz Brunch? Hosted in Nathaniel’s, it is a favorite of local visitors and guests alike!

Again, I am glad you enjoyed dining with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I traveled to Salem on business and on my client's recommendation, I booked the Hawthorne Hotel. Everything about the stay was absolutely perfect! So much so that my boyfriend and I decided to extend our stay for an extra night! The hotel itself is stunningly beautiful and so clean and organized. The front desk staff were all very sweet, professional, and helpful in giving us recommendations on sites to visit and directions to get around town. The food in the Tavern was excellent and breakfast in Nathaniel's was exceptionally delicious. I highly recommend staying here and can't wait to get back for another stay myself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear JennyLRose84,

I’m pleased you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay at the Hawthorne Hotel. Your choice to stay an extra night with us is the highest compliment we can receive, and I thank you for sharing your experience with us. I will be certain to pass along your kind words to our Front Desk team, and to the rest of our staff as well.

Thank you for also taking the time to write a separate review for our Tavern on the Green restaurant. Having that additional information helps Trip Advisor readers in planning their own trips, and I’m sure that they appreciate your feedback as much as we do.

We look forwarding to seeing you again soon.

Best,

Syracuse
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight Saturday 1/4/2013 for a romantic/sightseeing getaway. You couldn't ask for a better location!! It is literally a short walk to everything you would want to see and do.
Check in and Check out was flawless and everyone we came in contact with was very friendly and professional.
The room we had was spacious and comfortable. Even though there was a wedding there and some of the wedding guests were on our floor we didn't hear a *peep* and slept soundly through the night.
Although the bathrooms (2 in our room) were on the small side, the water pressure and water temperature were PERFECT!
Room service was VERY inexpensive, prompt, and DELICIOUS!
The only negative (very minor) was the front of the building for check in and the parking lot could of been better cleared of all the slush from the snowstorm 2 days prior
The coffee service offered in the Lobby is GREAT! Only one suggestion. Possibly providing *java jackets* for the cups. The delicious coffee was so hot my fingers were on fire carrying them by the time I got to the 4th floor.

Room Tip: Order room service from the Tavern! Inexpensive,prompt, and DELICIOUS!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott E
Dear Scott E,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your getaway with us, and that you found your room to be welcoming and comfortable. As a historic hotel, we differ from chain hotels in that rather than having one or two standard room types, we have thirteen room types—all varying in size and style, and offering our guests a unique stay with each visit. Those with two bathrooms happen to be one of my favorite types, and I’m glad you enjoyed it.

It’s wonderful that you also took advantage of our great room service menu. Both Nathaniel’s and Tavern on the Green, our two in-house restaurants, offer varied menus, and I’m sure that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your recommending our room service option.

I’m sorry that there seemed to be an issue with slush near our main entrance and in the parking lots during your visit. We always do our best to monitor and manage these weather-related issues as best as we can, but we understand that improvement is possible at times. Thank you for letting me know that this was the case so we are able to discuss this with our Maintenance team to see if we can better our approach going forward. I will also discuss your recommendation of adding java jackets to our coffee station with our Food & Beverage team.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are always looking for ways to improve the experience of our guests.

We hope to see you again soon.

Vermont
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our overnight getaway at the Hawthorne was excellent on all levels. I especially want to recommend dinner at Nathaniel's. Excellent food, quiet ambiance, and our waitress (Julie), and piano player (Steve) made for a special evening. My 17 yr. old granddaughter, who had never before experienced live background dinner music, put her own technology away and was fully engaged and smiling. We both enjoyed the evening very much!
I might add, that we were welcome to order from the Tavern menu, which worked well for my granddaughter.

Room Tip: We opted for a room with two bathrooms--helpful with a teenager!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ASCVermont
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear ASCVermont,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your granddaughter enjoyed your stay with us, as well as your experience in our fine dining restaurant, Nathaniel’s. It’s wonderful to hear that in addition to enjoying our Tavern menu, your granddaughter also appreciated the charming atmosphere and Steve’s piano playing. While each part of the Hotel offers a unique atmosphere, we receive many compliments for the live music that accompanies dinner in Nathaniel’s on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, and during our Sunday Jazz Brunch.

As I’m sure you understand, we strive to provide our guests with high quality service and a delicious menu, and it is through the kind words of our guests that we know we are doing just that. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us, and for also leaving a review on our Nathaniel’s page. I am certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate this as well.

We hope to see you again soon.

East Rochester, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is the essence of cozy-yet-magnificent Old World splendor, style, and hospitality. It was immaculate, and the staff was gracious, friendly, and totally attentive to our comfort and satisfaction at all times. The Tavern off the main lobby was lively and fun, and the wait staff was friendly, congenial and quick to serve. One especially nice bonus was that, as a guest of the hotel, the tavern provided a free cup of coffee "to go" whenever we wanted. After a long trip there and, the next day, after a trip into Boston followed by a crowded train ride back, that was SUCH a perfect touch! We had a scrumptious breakfast in the restaurant and were within walking distance to the train station as well as many Salem attractions, and the desk clerk was quick to not only give us a map to the places we needed but also penciled in the routes we would have to take. Our room was sumptuously decorated, and we especially liked that the shower was in its own area, separate from the sink and toilet. That cut down on our Getting-Ready time immensely. Finally, there was no noise EVER in the hallways, and that, coupled with a very comfortable bed, made for a GREAT two nights of sleep. We had a perfect stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RachelleAllen
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear RachelleAllen,

We love to hear from our guests, and it was such a pleasure to read this warm review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you not only found your room to be welcoming and comfortable, but that you also appreciated the charm of our historic hotel. Each of our rooms is individually furnished to offer a unique atmosphere, and we have taken great care in choosing our mattresses and bedding to ensure comfort.

I’m glad that you also had the chance to experience our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green. After a day of sightseeing, the large fire is certainly welcoming. I will be certain to pass along your kind words to our Tavern team!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!