“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Rockland, Maine
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We only stayed for 1 night but I wish we could have stayed longer. This is a fantastic hotel, the service was great, the girls at the front desk where very friendly and helpful. Our room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel. The room was small but I was told that when I booked it and the size is on the web site so I new what to expect. We don't spend a lot of time in our room so it was no problem. It was still very cozy and comfortable. I love historic hotels and this one was a great find.
I work in a 5 star resort so I'm a little spoiled. I was not disappointed with the Hawthorne. The complimentary coffee and tea and hot cider in the lobby is very nice for guest on these cold winter days.
We brought our dog with us and I loved the doggie room service menu, how cute. They even gave him a little teddy bear blanket when we checked in.
We had the explore Salem package so we had dinner and breakfast in Nathaniel's and both meals were very good. The Peabody Essex museum is a must see, very interesting.

Room Tip: Look at the size on the web site
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Echo522,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our Explore Salem package, which includes breakfast for two in Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, as well as two dinner entrees for the price of one in the same restaurant. The package also allows guests the choice of visiting the Peabody Essex Museum, the House of Seven Gables, or the Witch Museum, all of which are within walking distance of the Hotel.

I agree the Peabody Essex Museum is a must-see on the list of things to do around Salem, and hope you enjoyed the Future Beauty and Impressionists on the Water exhibits currently on display.

Because you enjoy traveling with your dog and are interested in the Hotel’s special offers, I also recommend our VIP (Very Important Pet!) Package. This includes accommodations, room service breakfast for you and your pet, a welcome treat for your pet, and discounts to a local pet store.

We hope to welcome you and your furry friend back again soon!

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Turkish first
Savannah, Ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I am the owner of The Olde Savananh Inn in Savannah Ga, and I cannot rank this hotel higher enough. I was selected as their VP when I checked in to a double suite at no additional costs. Beautiful historic suite. I brought my 1 year old Mr. Cooper(Beagle) and he didn't bark once. They allow dogs and that was a big plus. The desk called a couple of times during my 3 night stay to make sure I didn't need anything. Customer service was excellent. I own and operate a 5 bedroom luxurious Diamond Collection Bed and Breakfast and I was impressed. They live uo to Select Registry Historic Hotels. The Foyer was decorated beautifully for Christmas with an enormous poitsettia Christmas tree and poinsettias all over the lobby. Stunning! I wished I had breakfast in the dining room but I spent most of my time visiting family in Marblehead. The location was perfect as I could walk to Dunkin Donuts on Derby St. Loved my stay and actually, I wished I could have afforded 6 nights. I have a 2 yer old grandson who stayed with me one night with my daughter,....Difficult at best trying to keep him occupied and quiet. I would definitely stay at The Hawthorne on my next trip. They are the BEST...Thank you for making my trip home the best holiday...I will highly recommend you to everyone who will be visiting Salem, Mass. See you again soon, Kathleen and Mr.Cooper

Room Tip: I was on the fourth floor and loved the view of the historic District...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Kathleen and Mr. Cooper,

Thank you for your warm review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We love getting to know our guests and to make them feel special, and our Guest VIP of the Day has proven the perfect way to accomplish both. I’m pleased you enjoyed the experience and your room upgrade. I hope that Mr. Cooper also enjoyed the special Doggie Room Service menu we offer to our furry guests!

December is certainly a special time at the Hawthorne, as Santa arrives in Salem from our rooftop, and we host several holiday-themed events throughout the month, including our Christmas Day Buffet. I’m glad that you appreciated the welcoming holiday décor in our Lobby, and that it helped make your trip home a little more special.

Again, thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. As the owner of a bed and breakfast, I’m certain you understand how much we value feedback from our guests.

We hope to see you both again soon.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

My husband and I first cae to the Hawthorne ~ 10 years ago, strangly, we remeberd the coffee and the breakfasts. Upon our return this October we were thrilled to find the food quality and very helpful staff had NOT let standards fall. The Hawthorne is perfectly located in the middle of the historic district of Salem. October in Salem should be on your short list of thngs to do. The General Manager of the hotel is to be commended and I have suggested to more than hotel manager since to visit for a lesson in service, food quality, atmosphere and attention to details. The Tavern couldn't be cozier. Nathanial's Jazz Brunch alone will have us coming back (from New Olreans/home). This was a year of clelbration for our 25th anniversary. We visited Italy, Disney, Colorado and The hwathorne and Mount Washinton on this trip. Fro The Hawthorne, a tough act to follow, and the staff here dod NOT leave us wanting. Don't miss if you're ever in the area. Run, don't walk to The Hawthorne. get your coffee, get a seat in lobby, and let the good times roll!
Love,
The Couple from The Big Easy/New Orleans La.

Room Tip: Get a view of the park and Witch Museum : )
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie N
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Stephanie N,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We are honored that you chose to stay with us as part of your 25th anniversary celebrations, and I’m pleased that after all these years you still found our service and quality to be as good as you remember. We strive to offer true hospitality to our guests, and it is through compliments such as yours that we know we are doing just that. I will be certain to pass along your kind words to our team.

October is certainly a unique time to visit Salem and the Hawthorne. Not only are we within walking distance of the city’s many excellent attractions and shopping district, but we are in the heart of downtown, and therefore the heart of the Haunted Happenings celebrations. As someone who enjoys that time of year in Salem, I wonder if you have considered visiting the weekend of our annual Halloween Party? The party takes up three floors of the Hotel and includes live music, delicious food, and an exciting costume contest. This year’s is planned for October 25 – I hope to see you here!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

once again we returned, this time took advantage of the Hawthorne's package, dinner breakfast and best of all, passes to the PEM We particularly enjoyed the piano player and the waitress, stayed on Friday night, the manager, Juli had given us a dinner certificate - the food is standard American, good waitress and service, we prefer the food at The Tavern over Nathaniel's. Even though there was a wedding, it was only a party of five people, odd. We particularly enjoyed talking to two other couples, they were not staying at hotel but we highly recommended it. Although they tell you that you can have coffee anytime, it was not available in the late afternoon only hot cider, but that is a minor issue. We love the Hawthorne hotel, a very romantic get away for us and we live at the tip of Cape Cod !

Room Tip: pay the difference for a larger room, suites, and a view of the square we always prefer the higher...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jamaica6100,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you took advantage of our Explore Salem package and enjoyed a tour of the fabulous Peabody Essex Museum.

Both of our restaurants offer quality menus and service, though each boasts a unique atmosphere. Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, hosts a piano player on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, as well as special performances during our Sunday Jazz Brunch. Our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green, is certainly an enjoyable place to relax by the warm fire after exploring Salem. I’m pleased you enjoyed dining in both restaurants and will be sure to pass along your kind words to our Chef and to our servers.

Just as a note for future visits, we do offer complimentary coffee to our overnight guests throughout the day. While it is true that we do not serve coffee in the Lobby in the afternoons, you are always welcome to visit the Tavern or Nathaniel’s and ask for your complimentary cup of coffee—to stay or to go!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband, daughter, and mother stayed in the suite overlooking the Common. The view was wonderful. The room was pleasant with lovely old furniture and comfortable bedding. I won the free night in the suite in a Facebook contest, and I'm so glad I did! The hotel staff were so friendly, helpful, and nice to us! We had never been to Salem and they gave us tips and advice on the best attractions. They also made us feel so welcome in their lovely hotel, and made our stay comfortable and memorable. We roamed about the hotel, exploring all the rooms, and I must say this is the most interesting hotel I have ever stayed in! It's the epitome of vintage, classic, timeless beauty. A lovely ballroom, wonderful rooms upstairs and downstairs, "hidden" delights. . .I can't say enough about it's old time charm. I especially loved the spooky rooms upstairs. There's a picture on the wall of a grand party in the ballroom, probably about 1925, and if you look closely. . .well, let's just say you expect to see Jack Nickolson's character from The Shining sitting in the seat at the bottom, with all the other ghosts!!! That really freaked me out in a good way! Salem is a lovely town, and the Hawthorne is right where it belongs in it!!! The Tavern is the restaurant inside where we ate, and all I can say is I'd eat there every day if I could! Delicious!!!!! Wonderful food, wonderful service. We didn't really try Nathaniel's, but we plan to when we return. We just couldn't get enough of The Tavern so we'd always end up there! It's a lovely hotel I highly recommend, great for anytime of year but I bet it rocks in October!!

Room Tip: Try to get room that give you a good view of the Common, as we did.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 6kiddos
Dear 6kiddos,

Thank you for sharing your lovely experience with the Hawthorne Hotel. As someone who had never before visited Salem, I am pleased that not only did our staff make you feel welcome, but they helped you to make the best of your visit with suggestions of sights to see. We choose and train our staff based on the belief that we are not in the hotel business, but the hospitality business, and it is through kind words such as yours that we know we are offering our guests the kind of experience they deserve.

We are very lucky to be centrally located in Salem, within walking distance of the city’s many wonderful attractions and shopping district. You are correct that October is a unique time of year for the city, and for us being in the center of the Haunted Happenings celebrations. Our weekends in October sell out quickly, especially the weekend of our annual Halloween Party. We do recommend the experience, but if you are considering staying with us at that time of year, make your reservations early!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Hawthorne Hotel in Salem is a hidden gem with superb dining. Nathaniel's is spectacular but my favorite is the Tavern which is a paneled room with a fireplace. Menu is diverse and everything is outstanding. When you are the in the area, stop by. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear sandycross26,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel, and of our two restaurants. Both Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, and Tavern on the Green, our pub-style restaurant, offer excellent service and delicious menus, and I’m pleased that you enjoyed both. I’m not at all surprised that you enjoy the Tavern’s cozy atmosphere and warm fireplace—we love it, especially at this time of year.

As someone who lives nearby, I wonder if you have tried our Sunday Jazz Brunch? Hosted in Nathaniel’s, it is a favorite of local visitors and guests alike!

Again, I am glad you enjoyed dining with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I traveled to Salem on business and on my client's recommendation, I booked the Hawthorne Hotel. Everything about the stay was absolutely perfect! So much so that my boyfriend and I decided to extend our stay for an extra night! The hotel itself is stunningly beautiful and so clean and organized. The front desk staff were all very sweet, professional, and helpful in giving us recommendations on sites to visit and directions to get around town. The food in the Tavern was excellent and breakfast in Nathaniel's was exceptionally delicious. I highly recommend staying here and can't wait to get back for another stay myself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear JennyLRose84,

I’m pleased you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay at the Hawthorne Hotel. Your choice to stay an extra night with us is the highest compliment we can receive, and I thank you for sharing your experience with us. I will be certain to pass along your kind words to our Front Desk team, and to the rest of our staff as well.

Thank you for also taking the time to write a separate review for our Tavern on the Green restaurant. Having that additional information helps Trip Advisor readers in planning their own trips, and I’m sure that they appreciate your feedback as much as we do.

We look forwarding to seeing you again soon.

Best,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
The Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College
Winthrop Arms Hotel
Winthrop Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Winthrop

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!