“First rate hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Gaffney, SC
“First rate hotel!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at this dog friendly hotel February 24th and 25th, 2014 and loved it! The location is fantastic, the beds comfortable (not quite HIE comfortable, but nice), and the staff is incredibly friendly. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Salem!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear morris003,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to make our guests (and their furry friends!) feels comfortable and welcome from the moment they step into the Hotel, and so I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our wonderful staff.

We hope to see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Turkish first
Maynard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had an great stay at the Hawthorne. We took advantage of a package deal that included museum tickets, breakfast, and a voucher for Nathaniel's Restaurant. The service was excellent at check in, which was followed up with a phone call to make sure everything was to our liking. The food and service in Nathaniel's was perfect. We were impressed with the professionalism of the staff and how comfortable everyone made us feel. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Paul C,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It sounds like you chose our Explore Salem Package, which is always a popular offer! I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as your dining experiences in Nathaniel’s. I hope your visit to one of our great local museums was just as enjoyable!

Thank you for also recognizing our excellent staff. We believe that we at the Hawthorne are not in the hotel business, but the hospitality business and we hope that our staff exemplifies that. Reviews such as yours help us know that they do, and I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our team.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

A great experience. An overnight with my daughter to enjoy the local sightseeing. Friendly, comfortable and more than accommodating! The service was wonderful at the front desk and they were always there to assist. Especially excellent service in Nathaniel's Restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear RosieCoeymans_NY,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your kind words for our Front Desk and Dining Services teams. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to them.

I’m glad you also enjoyed taking in the great attractions that Salem has to offer. Because of our perfect location downtown, we are within walking distance of all the sights to see, including Pickering Wharf, the Peabody Essex Museum, the Salem Witch Museum, the Witch Trials Memorial, the House of the Seven Gables, and many others.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel earlier this year. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant, The Tavern, where I was treated to great food and friendly service from Brent and Allison. The front desk staff was also excellent - Sarah, Dilya, and Liz. My room was very comfortable with an amazing view of Salem. Overall, the Hawthorne has a wonderful ambience mixed with history and modern day in the backdrop of a charming town. I plan to come back with my family to spend more time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Eric C,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We strive to offer our guests a true hospitality experience from the moment they arrive at our Hotel until the very end of each stay. I’m pleased that you felt so welcomed by our Front Desk and Tavern teams, and will be certain to pass along your kind words to them.

We have individually furnished each of our thirteen different room types for the most comfort. I’m glad you found your room to be so comfortable, and that you also appreciated the Hotel’s history, which offers a unique, charming atmosphere for guests.

Thank you for also sharing your experience with the Tavern on the Green on its own Trip Advisor page. No doubt this additional review will be very helpful for those Trip Advisor readers who may not be as familiar with the Hotel and might be looking for a casual place to dine in Salem.

We look forward to welcoming you—and your family!—back to the Hawthorne soon.

Warm regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Came, with my dog, for just 2 days - but felt like part of the family by the time I left. The hotel is SO comfortable with so many amenities: gracious lobby - with lots of nooks and crannies for quiet chats, lively tavern, wonderful dining room, comfy rooms. Very classic and old school but with top of the line amenities. And - most important - really comfortable bed! The place seems to hum along effortlessly and you get the sense that the staff all actually ENJOY their jobs - It was a wonderful atmosphere - and I will be back.
Even with 2 wedding receptions occurring during my stay - there was NO disturbance in my peace and service!

Room Tip: Enjoyed the top floor room (which is also a "doggie" floor).
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear M C,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. There is no greater compliment we can receive from our guests than to hear that they felt at home, or a part of our big family. I’m so pleased that you and your dog enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff so friendly and welcoming.

You may be interested to know that our mattresses—on which we receive many compliments!—are made right here in Salem. We took great care in choosing them and in choosing our bedding, knowing how important it is for our guests to enjoy a great night’s sleep.

Thank you again for sharing your lovely experience with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Westford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had my son's wedding reception at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem and it was wonderful! All who stayed at the hotel were delighted with their rooms. The beds were comfortable, the rooms very clean, the service excellent. We had the reception in the Grand Ballroom which was beautifully decorated. The food was delicious and the staff was wonderfully gracious. Thanks to all who helped make this such a special day for us! Our waitperson , Mike, was grand.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear mary m,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that we were able to be a part of your wonderful celebration. As I’m sure you can imagine, we host many special events throughout the year, and we enjoy helping to make each one special. I’m glad that not only did you enjoy our guest rooms, but that you enjoyed the reception for your son and new daughter-in-law in our Grand Ballroom. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our wonderful Catering, Banquets and Culinary team members. Mike has been with us for over 15 years, and his service is exemplary – genuinely caring, meticulous in detail, and yet very easy-going.

Warm regards,

Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband and I spent a weeknight ( 2/20/2014) at the hotel as part of his birthday celebration. When I made the reservation several months ago, I had requested a particular room by number which we had stayed in last year for the same purpose. The front desk was very helpful and made a note on the reservation to book our special room. We had a delightful time, and enjoyed cocktails at the bar, dinner at Nathaniel's, and an elegant breakfast in the dining room the following morning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JoAnn G,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that we have become a part of you and your husband’s celebration of his birthday! We absolutely love getting to know our guests and helping to make special occasions all that much more special, and so I’m glad our Front Desk team made sure to set you up in the same room, as you requested.

I’m also glad you enjoyed dining in Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, and will pass along your compliments our Chefs. We look forward to seeing you both again next year!

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!