Hawthorne Hotel
The Hotel Salem(Salem)
  • Breakfast included
Econo Lodge(Danvers)
2,064 results
All reviewstavern on the greenbeautiful historic hotelrooms are smallan older hotelhalloween ballwithin walking distancethe general managerfront desk staffthe peabody essex museumtwo queen bedsfree parkingnew englandwitch museumvisiting salemthe publobbywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Hawthorne Hotel was lovely, with old-fashioned charm and contemporary amenities. A comfortable bed and prompt room service breakfast delivery were the perfect start to my work days. The complimentary bottled water and newspapers were a nice touch.

Room Tip: No comment on the value, because I didn't pay for my stay and have no idea what the rates are.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank miriambyk
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear miriambyk:

Thank you for the succinct review that covers so many aspects of a stay at the Hawthorne Hotel. We sincerely appreciate your mentioning your delight with some of our amenities that you enjoyed. We are one of the very few hostelries in the area that provide true room service meals, delivered to your room. That service is available 17 hours each day, which usually covers most of our guests’ needs. We offer food service in our Tavern from 11 to 11 daily, and breakfast and dinner in our Nathaniel’s Restaurant.

We are very grateful for the time you took to write a review for us.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We have made many trips to Salem, but usually do day trips. This time we decided to stay overnight since we were meeting our daughter who was driving down from Burlington, VT and we were visiting our son, wife and newborn baby. We wanted a place to go when they needed quiet time. Salem has so much to offer; we loved being in the center of the action. We rented two rooms. Both were very clean and comfortable. The bathroom products were outstanding. The staff was great and in the morning when my daughter overslept and missed the free coffee in the lobby, someone went and got her a cup for me to take up to her room. Now that was really impressive! My husband and I had breakfast in the dining room and the crab cakes were delicious. They gave us a late checkout which was really appreciated too since it was the night to turn the clocks ahead an hour. If you love historic buildings, good food and Salem, you will love staying at the Hawthorne.

Room Tip: The hotel also has passes to the Y if you want to swim which was a big plus for our daughter who likes to swim daily. Free parking is also a big plus. Didn't see the other rooms, but ours was quiet and great on the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear symmetry62:

Thank you so much for the lovely review. It is always interesting to us to read the narrative of a guest who takes the time to share their reason for staying with us. We are very centrally located, and we do give our guests passes to the Salem YMCA which has not one, but two swimming pools – one that is perfect for swimming long laps, and the other which is called the “family pool” which is kept at a higher temperature.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

What a wonderful place to stay. Very Rustic, Charming and a wonderful Staff. Juli Lederhause made us feel very welcomed! We checked in Monday Afternoon & stayed until Thursday Morning. They even held our luggage while we shopped around town. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Jane C :

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your stay at the historic Hawthorne Hotel. While it is succinct, you certainly touched on everything that a future traveler would need to know about your feelings on a stay at our property.

It was so nice to meet you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I'd been wanting to stay here for years and finally got the opportunity--and I was not disappointed! When I walked into the lobby, I felt like I had stepped back in time. And I knew I had when I opened the door to my room. I felt like I was back in the 1930s when people lived in hotels. My room had a darling bathroom, a walk-in closet and another small closet. It had a great, comfy bed and a nice sofa. The hotel has kept the integrity of its history with just the right amount of modern conveniences. The soaps and lotion are Pharmacopia, and they are fantastic.

Regarding the service, the staff is wonderful. Friendly and helpful. After I checked in and went up to my room, a staff member called me to see if I needed anything. Very nice! I was also selected as the VIP guest of the day. They gave me a gift certificate for one of their restaurants and said I could choose what state/country flag for them to fly the next day. Being from Illinois, that was the flag I chose. It was a nice touch and made me feel a bit special and proud of my home state.

I had the crab cake sandwich in the Tavern on the Green restaurant, and it was delicious. So was the chocolate banana bread pudding.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It's right near the shops, restaurants and everything that makes Salem such a great town.

I highly recommend the Hawthorne Hotel. They will take great care of you! The value for the money is high. I thought it was a pretty decent price. I also hear it is a wonderful place to hold your wedding.

One more thing, they still have the old glassed-in mail shoot between the elevators (drops down to the first flood). I dropped postcards to my daughter in there and wished she was there to do it, too. She'd get a big kick out of it. I know I did!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Minda P

o Dear CemeteryMind:

Wow, you can certainly write a valuable hotel review! I don’t think there is any aspect you omitted, which will make this commentary so useful to fellow TripAdvisor users.

Your specific commentary on such things as our in-room amenities, our excellent menu items, and even our original-to-the-property mail chute paint a great word picture of our historic hotel.

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you (and your daughter) back soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I spent an overnight with my college kids on winter break. The hotel is beautiful - stepping back in time to the age of grand hotels. The staff were all friendly, professional and a pleasure to deal with. Room was larger than expected and spotless. Same for bath which had some very nice verbena toiletries. We will definitely be back in the warmer weather when all the shops are open again. We had plenty to do for an overnight tho. Supper and breakfast was awesome at Nathaniels. Props to Scratch Kitchen down the street as well. We had an amazing lunch there. If you want a reading, see Demetrius across the street at Crow Haven. He was spot on.

Room Tip: 414 - 2 Queens,spacious, facing front street views, shower curtain closed on it's own overnight...try it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear posbldremr :

Thank you so very much for writing to bring your perspective to other travelers visiting Salem. Your specific comments about both your stay in our hotel as well as your meals in our restaurants will help others know what to expect when choosing our centrally located historic hotel.

In addition, your recommendations for other businesses such as Scratch Kitchen and Crow Haven Corner will be helpful too.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.