“Hawthorne Hotel, Salem, Massachusetts”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A magnificent historic hotel, with the most helpful and accommodating staff possible. The hotel is located in Salem, Massachusetts, one of the most important New England sites. The Hawthorne Hotel is beautifully restored and completely modern. But on each floor you will see evidence of our early American traditions: paintings, books, and history, from a time when Salem was one of our great seaports.

The food is great, by the way, and their breakfast especially. It's quiet, comfortable, very clean, welcoming, and gracious in every way. We loved our stay at this hotel, and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KSpruce
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear KSpruce,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the Hotel’s history and atmosphere. As one of the Historic Hotels of America, it is important for us to retain the historical quality of the hotel, while still providing our guests with the modern comforts they require.

I’m glad that you also enjoyed dining in Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, and will be certain to share your compliments with our Chefs.

We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hawthorne Hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I just came back from a lovely 3 night stay at the Hawthorne. The rooms are furnished with Colonial style charm, comfortable. but with all the new age gadgets. They have 2 restaurants on site, one fine dining and one tavern style. I ate at the tavern twice and loved both meals. I ate breakfast at the fine dining restaurant twice and was not disappointed. The prices at both restaurants was very reasonable, and the portions were large. The staff at the hotel, from servers, housekeepers, and the front desk, were always pleasant and would go out of their way to accommodate a guests requests. The hotel is ideally situated. You can park your car and never have to return to it until you check out. All of the things to see in Salem, are within walking distance,,,shopping, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc...All in all, it was a wonderful stay and would highly recommend anyone traveling to Salem, to stay at this lovely hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear pelalem,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took advantage of our great location to better enjoy Salem and its many attractions. I’m glad that you also enjoyed our two wonderful in-house restaurants. Both Nathaniel’s and Tavern on the Green deliver excellent service and delicious food, and it seems you received just that.

We believe that we are not in the hotel business, but in the hospitality business. We take great pride in finding staff members who exude the kind of friendly, welcoming personality we want to offer our guests. As such, I appreciate your kind words for our staff as well, and I will be sure to pass them along to our great team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I didnt love the hotel, I thought that they were unaccommodating and rude on several occasions. The room itself was nice and the bed was comfortable but the enitre place smelled like cigarette smoke and the food wasnt good at all. I was there for an event and they ended it very abruptly on us and actually went around taking drinks out of peoples hands. I wouldn't go back to the hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Brian R:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We are always disappointed when someone doesn't enjoy themselves while visiting our hotel. As you can tell by the myriad of excellent reviews on this site, we generally do an excellent job for our guests, and that is what we work for in each and every interaction with our visitors.

We will certainly look at what transpired and see what we can do to improve things for future guests. Should you wish to discuss this particular stay with us, we would be happy to take your call. You can contact me, or our Front Desk Manager, Andy Seidel, at 978-744-4080.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We really enjoyed our one-night visit to the Hawthorne Hotel. Not only is the location perfect for exploring Salem, but the restaurants at the hotel are also excellent. The staff were friendly and attentive. In particular, Sarah at the front desk made both the arrival and departure a pleasant experience, getting us oriented to the hotel and nearby attractions and doing it all in a professional and welcoming manner. Would definitely return here for another visit!

1  Thank NYCTraveller2014

Dear NYCTraveller2014,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that not only did you have a pleasant stay with us, but that you also took advantage of our two lovely in-house restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s. Although each restaurant offers a different menu and atmosphere, both deliver excellent food and service, and so I’m pleased that you enjoyed dining with us as well.

I also appreciate you recognizing Sarah for her friendly and helpful nature. We recently named her our Employee of the Month for the very reasons you named--and more. I will be certain to share your kind words with her and the rest of our Front Desk team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. If you are going to Salem this location is perfect, everything is within walking distance, park the car and forget about it. There are two restaurants located at the hotel. One is fine dining, it is very good, the other is a tavern style and it is excellent. The rooms are all different in style and size and are done very well. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We are going back again next year. Great hotel!!!!

Dear Joseph T,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to express your enjoyment not only of the Hotel itself, but also of our two restaurants, Nathaniel’s and Tavern on the Green. As someone who has stayed with us previously, you are obviously familiar with what we offer our guests. I’m certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will also appreciate your kind words for our rooms, restaurants, and staff.

As you mentioned, the Hawthorne is ideally located in downtown Salem. Because we guarantee parking to our overnight guests, this means you are welcome to check-in, park your car, and—as you said—forget about it while you go off and enjoy the many wonderful attractions this city has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for an "Explore Salem" weekend package at the end of April. There were 2 weddings going on that we were unaware of when we made reservations, only to find out upon check in. We were told that our room had been upgraded to a larger room than we expected as part of the "package". We are SO glad we stayed....it was so peaceful and quiet, you'd never think ANYTHING was going on. The Hotel staff, every single person, was so pleasant, professional and eager to please. They were also VERY knowledgeable about the area and the attractions that were the best. We chose to have room service the first night as we had arrived later than we expected and the food was delivered quickly and was delicious! We ate dinner on Saturday at Nathaniel's, which is located inside the Hotel. The wait staff was amazing and attentive AND the food was SUPERB! The Hawthorne is the BEST place to stay and we plan on doing so again in the near future with other family members!

Room Tip: Don't be concerned with a front of the Hotel- main road facing room. You can hear a slight din...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear WellRestedAndHappyNY,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne. We love making our guests feel welcome and special when they arrive, and our VIP of the Day program is one way we discovered to do just that. I’m glad that our special welcome added to the enjoyment of your stay.

Our Explore Salem package is certainly one of our most popular special offers. Not only does it allow guests to stay at a special rate, but the package includes breakfast for two, dinner vouchers to Nathaniel’s, and of course tickets to your choice of one of Salem’s museums. To top it off, we are just a short walk from all of the city’s great attractions, meaning guests can park, for free, behind our Hotel and explore Salem worry-free!

Thank you again for your many kind words about our Hotel and about our staff. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I recently hosted my third event at the Hawthorne for my daughter. First it was her bridal shower in the fall of 2009, then her wedding February 2010 (with hotel accommodations for our guests)and on April 26, 2014 we had her baby shower as she and her husband are expecting twin boys!
I cannot say enough about the Hawthorne. From the assistance and prompt responses while planning, to the fabulous menus with multiple choices, to the awesome, friendly, professional staff!!
All three events have been wonderful.
The staff is always available prior to the event and on the day of the event the coordination of every detail is excellent. I have worked with several members of their staff and most recently with Alaina Ferriero, Manager of Catering Sales. Her professional, friendly manner made planning the event so wonderful. She always answered my emails timely, provided great ideas that incorporated all the ideas I had into a perfect event. Alaina was there during my recent event and was ready to assist any way she could. All 3 events have been flawless and my guests always comment that each event is as wonderful as the last.
I would also like to mention a staff member, Cheryl. She has been at each event and I was thrilled to see her at our last one. She is so professional, friendly and efficient. I know that everything will run smoothly with Cheryl there!
I can't say enough about my wonderful experiences at the Hawthorne, and know that any time I plan an event, the Hawthorne is my first choice. Maybe there will be a christening party there in the near future!!
Mary Jordan

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mary,

First of all, congratulations to your daughter and her husband! That is wonderful news. Second, thank you for choosing the Hawthorne as the place to celebrate so many wonderful occasions. As I’m sure you know by now, we absolutely love our part in helping to create special memories, and we can ask for no higher praise than guests who choose to return to us to celebrate these moments.

Thank you for recognizing Alaina and Cheryl for their hard work, warm personalities, and overall care for our guests. I’m happy to share your kind words with them and the rest of our Catering and Banquets teams.

Congratulations again to your family. We look forward to welcoming you all back again soon!

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!