“Fall Fun in Salem”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have been to Salem in fall 6 years. The past two years I stayed at the Hawthorn Hotel.
It's clean, cozy and the location can't be beat. Rooms are small but that is not what is most important to me. You can feel the history at the Hawthorn. Lovely lunch at the hotel restaurant and very relaxing. Hope go back this year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Mary A,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the Hotel’s atmosphere. As one of the Historic Hotels of America, we take pride in our history and in the history of Salem, and we do our best to maintain those key aspects of the hotel while still continuing to improve our guests’ experiences with modern amenities.

I’m glad you also enjoyed dining in Tavern on the Green, our pub-style restaurant which is open for lunch and dinner. With its large chairs and cozy fireplace, we have to agree that the Tavern makes for a nice place to relax and enjoy a meal or a drink.

As you stayed with us in October, I’m sure you know what a unique time of year it is in Salem. If you haven’t yet been here for our annual Halloween Party, please consider it. This year’s party will be held on October 25, and the theme is a Mardi Gras Masquerade. We are all very excited and we’re certain that it will be a great night!

Best,

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here again on our recent trip to New England. One night at the start of our break and our final night before flying home to the UK. This was also the night of my Husbands 40?Th birthday. We have stayed once before in October and we wanted to return. We have travelled a lot and The Hawthorne is one of my favourite hotels .
The first night we aye in the Tavern , as always the service was impeccable and the food good value and delicious, very large portions. The red wine I had was delicious. Our room was spacious with a large bed and beautifully furnished. It was bitterly cold and the Tavern had a lovely fire and was warm and cosy.
On our final night we arrived early and we were seated in the Tavern to enjoy a drink until our room was ready . We were upgraded to a suite and there was a birthday card from the hotel which my husband was delighted with. We love Salem and will return here again and stay at The Hawthorne. I would highly recommend this hotel, the staff are friendly, professional and always helpful.
Salem is lovely even out of season with lovely restaurants and bars. Everyone we came across was friendly . See you again soon x

Room Tip: All the rooms we have had were lovely. A suite for a longer stay gives more space. I would recommend...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Karen F,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were able to surprise you with a room upgrade and birthday card for your husband. We train our staff with the idea that we are not in the hotel business but in the hospitality business, and it is through those small gestures we feel we are able to connect with our guests and make their stay that much more enjoyable. I’ll be certain to pass along your compliments to our great team.

I’m glad that you also enjoyed dining in the Tavern. Like Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, the Tavern offers delicious food and excellent service. Its more casual, cozy atmosphere is wonderful for a relaxing meal.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel is beautiful and comfortable. More importantly, the customer service here is amazing. Every employee was knowledgeable and concerned with the quality of the stay.

Perfect location as well. Great place to stay in Salem.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear DCandAD,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I appreciate your kind words for our hotel, and especially for our excellent staff. We believe that we are in the hospitality business, not in the hotel business, and it is important to us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable. We train our staff with this in mind, and so I will be certain to share your kind words with our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

A magnificent historic hotel, with the most helpful and accommodating staff possible. The hotel is located in Salem, Massachusetts, one of the most important New England sites. The Hawthorne Hotel is beautifully restored and completely modern. But on each floor you will see evidence of our early American traditions: paintings, books, and history, from a time when Salem was one of our great seaports.

The food is great, by the way, and their breakfast especially. It's quiet, comfortable, very clean, welcoming, and gracious in every way. We loved our stay at this hotel, and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KSpruce

Dear KSpruce,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the Hotel’s history and atmosphere. As one of the Historic Hotels of America, it is important for us to retain the historical quality of the hotel, while still providing our guests with the modern comforts they require.

I’m glad that you also enjoyed dining in Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, and will be certain to share your compliments with our Chefs.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I just came back from a lovely 3 night stay at the Hawthorne. The rooms are furnished with Colonial style charm, comfortable. but with all the new age gadgets. They have 2 restaurants on site, one fine dining and one tavern style. I ate at the tavern twice and loved both meals. I ate breakfast at the fine dining restaurant twice and was not disappointed. The prices at both restaurants was very reasonable, and the portions were large. The staff at the hotel, from servers, housekeepers, and the front desk, were always pleasant and would go out of their way to accommodate a guests requests. The hotel is ideally situated. You can park your car and never have to return to it until you check out. All of the things to see in Salem, are within walking distance,,,shopping, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc...All in all, it was a wonderful stay and would highly recommend anyone traveling to Salem, to stay at this lovely hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear pelalem,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took advantage of our great location to better enjoy Salem and its many attractions. I’m glad that you also enjoyed our two wonderful in-house restaurants. Both Nathaniel’s and Tavern on the Green deliver excellent service and delicious food, and it seems you received just that.

We believe that we are not in the hotel business, but in the hospitality business. We take great pride in finding staff members who exude the kind of friendly, welcoming personality we want to offer our guests. As such, I appreciate your kind words for our staff as well, and I will be sure to pass them along to our great team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I didnt love the hotel, I thought that they were unaccommodating and rude on several occasions. The room itself was nice and the bed was comfortable but the enitre place smelled like cigarette smoke and the food wasnt good at all. I was there for an event and they ended it very abruptly on us and actually went around taking drinks out of peoples hands. I wouldn't go back to the hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Brian R:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We are always disappointed when someone doesn't enjoy themselves while visiting our hotel. As you can tell by the myriad of excellent reviews on this site, we generally do an excellent job for our guests, and that is what we work for in each and every interaction with our visitors.

We will certainly look at what transpired and see what we can do to improve things for future guests. Should you wish to discuss this particular stay with us, we would be happy to take your call. You can contact me, or our Front Desk Manager, Andy Seidel, at 978-744-4080.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We really enjoyed our one-night visit to the Hawthorne Hotel. Not only is the location perfect for exploring Salem, but the restaurants at the hotel are also excellent. The staff were friendly and attentive. In particular, Sarah at the front desk made both the arrival and departure a pleasant experience, getting us oriented to the hotel and nearby attractions and doing it all in a professional and welcoming manner. Would definitely return here for another visit!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYCTraveller2014

Dear NYCTraveller2014,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that not only did you have a pleasant stay with us, but that you also took advantage of our two lovely in-house restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s. Although each restaurant offers a different menu and atmosphere, both deliver excellent food and service, and so I’m pleased that you enjoyed dining with us as well.

I also appreciate you recognizing Sarah for her friendly and helpful nature. We recently named her our Employee of the Month for the very reasons you named--and more. I will be certain to share your kind words with her and the rest of our Front Desk team.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!