“Perfect Location * Focus on Customer Service * Historic”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 14 May 2014

So you might think that October is the perfect time to see Salem?? No, springtime is beautiful and the Hawthorne with a room overlooking the Salem Commons! We dined at Nathaniel's the first night and the manager stopped by our table to ask about our stay. Not only did she recommend the best Salem attraction, the Peabody Essex Museum with the Chinese house tour (200 yr old house moved and reassembled here) and house tours of 3 homes one each built in the 1600s, 1700s and 1800s, but she also suggested places to see in Kennebunkport, our next stop. Everything was within a few blocks walk - shopping, additional great restaurants, House of the Seven Gable, the wharf.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Macsam3,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and have to agree that Salem is just as lovely in the springtime as it is during our busy autumn season! The Common is beautiful and blooming, so I’m not surprised that you enjoyed the view.

I’m glad that you enjoyed our fine dining restaurant, Nathaniel’s, which delivers excellent food and service. We also have a more casual pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green, which is a wonderful spot to stop in for a relaxing bite to eat or a drink.

As you mentioned, we are located centrally in historic Salem, placing us a short walk from the city’s many wonderful attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum. I’m glad that you enjoyed the suggestion of visiting the Yin Yu Tang house, as well as the three centuries of architecture tour. Those are both always a delightful experience.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Write a ReviewReviews (2,048)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is very traditional and tries to be all things to all people. It is accommodation to pets (and has a room service menu just for them), it really makes an effort. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms have hot showers, our room had a good view. we appreciated the coffee to go option where you could get coffee when the bar was open and from 5.30. The ambience is really nice. The only thing that let this place down for us was the glacial service at breakfast where there were only 3-4 tables but two staff on duty. One member of staff managed to walk past our check folder with a credit card sticking out twice and even moved it once but didn't take it to process. Our orange juice was sat on a counter but took five minutes to make it to our table. It was a real let down compared to the rest of the stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Playfairest,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room to be comfortable and welcoming. We are one of the few accommodations in the area that allows pets, and we love meeting our guests’ furry companions.

I’m sorry that your experience at breakfast did not live up to the rest of your stay. As you can see from the reviews of our Hotel and of our two restaurants, your experience is an exception to our usual high standard of service. If you have the time, I would love to speak with you further about when you dined with us so that we can determine which staff members were working that morning and provide them with additional training as necessary. I can be reached at 978-744-4080 or via e-mail at info@hawthornehotel.com.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It is only through the experience of our guests that we are able to continue improving our hotel and restaurants.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is my second stay and I highly recommend to anyone visiting Salem. Beautiful historic surroundings, outstanding customer service (from the front desk to the two hotel restaurants) and perfectly located to see all of Salem. They could not be more accommodating to their guests!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Jewelorama,

Thank you for your succinct review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you experienced excellent, friendly service from our Front Desk and Dining Services teams. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to them.

I’m also glad that you appreciated the Hawthorne’s central location in historic downtown Salem. I hope you enjoyed the many museums and historical sites, as well as the city’s excellent shopping district. The renowned Peabody Essex Museum, Pickering Wharf, the Salem Maritime Site, and Visitor’s Center are all just a short walk from our front entrance.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here at the Hawthorn for one night with a friend and my two little dogs. They are very pet friendly and even have a pet room service menu and even gave them a couple of toys. We stayed on the top floor in the Suite, where "the most haunted Room" in the hotel is. The staff was exceptional, room service A+, Bathroom, A+, TV, A+, Over all room, AAA+++.
BUT the bed, it's very pretty, but so darn uncomfortable. Knotty, and left us sore the next day, it was really bad. Please invest in a new mattress....otherwise, it was a perfect stay! Thanks!....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear glassgirlvw,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the special welcome we offer our guests’ furry friends!

I’m sorry to hear you experienced some issues with your mattress. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as we typically receive compliments on our firm mattresses, made right here in Salem, and often have guests ask where they can purchase one themselves. As soon as she read your review, our Executive Housekeeper e-mailed me to let me know she is looking into the situation so that another guest does not experience the same issues.

Thank you again for your feedback, and for your lovely compliments for our Hotel and our excellent team. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have been to Salem in fall 6 years. The past two years I stayed at the Hawthorn Hotel.
It's clean, cozy and the location can't be beat. Rooms are small but that is not what is most important to me. You can feel the history at the Hawthorn. Lovely lunch at the hotel restaurant and very relaxing. Hope go back this year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Mary A,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the Hotel’s atmosphere. As one of the Historic Hotels of America, we take pride in our history and in the history of Salem, and we do our best to maintain those key aspects of the hotel while still continuing to improve our guests’ experiences with modern amenities.

I’m glad you also enjoyed dining in Tavern on the Green, our pub-style restaurant which is open for lunch and dinner. With its large chairs and cozy fireplace, we have to agree that the Tavern makes for a nice place to relax and enjoy a meal or a drink.

As you stayed with us in October, I’m sure you know what a unique time of year it is in Salem. If you haven’t yet been here for our annual Halloween Party, please consider it. This year’s party will be held on October 25, and the theme is a Mardi Gras Masquerade. We are all very excited and we’re certain that it will be a great night!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here again on our recent trip to New England. One night at the start of our break and our final night before flying home to the UK. This was also the night of my Husbands 40?Th birthday. We have stayed once before in October and we wanted to return. We have travelled a lot and The Hawthorne is one of my favourite hotels .
The first night we aye in the Tavern , as always the service was impeccable and the food good value and delicious, very large portions. The red wine I had was delicious. Our room was spacious with a large bed and beautifully furnished. It was bitterly cold and the Tavern had a lovely fire and was warm and cosy.
On our final night we arrived early and we were seated in the Tavern to enjoy a drink until our room was ready . We were upgraded to a suite and there was a birthday card from the hotel which my husband was delighted with. We love Salem and will return here again and stay at The Hawthorne. I would highly recommend this hotel, the staff are friendly, professional and always helpful.
Salem is lovely even out of season with lovely restaurants and bars. Everyone we came across was friendly . See you again soon x

Room Tip: All the rooms we have had were lovely. A suite for a longer stay gives more space. I would recommend...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Karen F,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were able to surprise you with a room upgrade and birthday card for your husband. We train our staff with the idea that we are not in the hotel business but in the hospitality business, and it is through those small gestures we feel we are able to connect with our guests and make their stay that much more enjoyable. I’ll be certain to pass along your compliments to our great team.

I’m glad that you also enjoyed dining in the Tavern. Like Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, the Tavern offers delicious food and excellent service. Its more casual, cozy atmosphere is wonderful for a relaxing meal.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel is beautiful and comfortable. More importantly, the customer service here is amazing. Every employee was knowledgeable and concerned with the quality of the stay.

Perfect location as well. Great place to stay in Salem.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear DCandAD,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I appreciate your kind words for our hotel, and especially for our excellent staff. We believe that we are in the hospitality business, not in the hotel business, and it is important to us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable. We train our staff with this in mind, and so I will be certain to share your kind words with our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
#2 of 7 in Gloucester
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!