“You get what you pay for”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Winnipeg, Canada
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel was just fine. It is very pricey, so it should be! My room was clean and nice, but very small, so I was glad I was by myself. I went for work, other people who stayed too, had different experiences. There is always an event in the ballroom. This means the restaurant is closed, although there is another. Even on the sixth floor if your above the ballroom you can hear the event. Staff were very friendly and helpful, just what I expect for what it costs.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but on top of the ballroom, no matter what floor.
1 Thank Judy D
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear charleydog78,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our beautiful Hotel and excellent staff to be welcoming.

In addition to offering guests a unique atmosphere and excellent staff, the Hawthorne also boasts wonderful function rooms, complimentary coffee service for our guests, and the perfect location in historic downtown Salem which places us within walking distance of the many wonderful attractions that the city has to offer.

There are a few occasions each year when we do move one or the other of our restaurants to the other one. Whenever we do make that kind of change we make sure to offer both menus in the restaurant that remains open.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Turkish first
lynn
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I am writing this as a Senior Class Advisor but I know that I am speaking for the entire class of 2014...our prom at the Hawthorne Hotel rocked! Right from my first encounter with Karen to our last goodbye with the waitstaff, everything went smoothly and painlessly. I would recommend this venue highly. My group consisted of about 104 students and 20 adults and the size of the main ballroom was perfect. We didn't have much money for decorations so we used the centerpieces that the hotel provided and beautifully colored napkins and the place looked great. We also had access to the second floor for formal pictures and storage of bags that students brought for after prom. Liz, our go to person for the night, was always within a shout and checked in several times to be sure all was well. Food was delicious and plentiful! A great value and a beautiful venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear kj l,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that you and the LVTI Seniors enjoyed hosting your prom at the Hotel.

As I’m certain you know, we host a number of events, large and small, at the Hawthorne, and we enjoy our part in making each and every one a special occasion. I’m pleased you found all of our staff to be friendly and helpful from the moment planning began until the event came to an end. I will be certain to share your kind words with our excellent Catering and Banquet teams, as well as with our Chef.

Congratulations to all of your graduating seniors! We hope to see you at the Hawthorne again soon.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel just for one night, but it was wonderful. We had a Derby Deluxe room with 2 Queen beds and 2 full separate bathrooms which was nice. The room was spacious.. and old time-y. Which I liked. The front desk staff were VERY friendly and helpful!

This is the best place to stay if you visit Salem! We booked the Explore Salem package which included 2 tickets to 2 different museums, breakfast, and 2 for the price of one dinner at Nathaniel's which was great as well.

Everything was within easy walking distance from here and parking was easy and great too!

Room Tip: As for a Derby Deluxe room with 2 full baths and 2 queen beds!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Tonysk8s,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the Derby Room suited your needs.

The Explore Salem package is certainly one of our most popular packages, especially this time of year as the weather starts to warm and brighten Salem. I hope you enjoyed the museums that you visited, as well as the wonderful shopping district, all of which is just a short walk from the Hotel.

Thank you for your compliments for Nathaniel’s as well. I will be certain to share your kind words with our Chef.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

North Rubberboot
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for a combination of business and pleasure for five nights at the Hawthorne in May 2014. perfect location, great rates/value and excellent staff, particularly Sarah at the front desk and Tessa in the restaurant, who were professional, warm and efficient. one of the best features of this lovely old hotel, is several rooms have two washrooms - ours on the 6th floor had a 'full bath' and a 'half bath', which is a rare thing to find in hotels anywhere, particularly useful when you have two or more persons sharing the room. the breakfast included in the room price was ideal, no need for massive buffet, that is just wasteful gluttony! the fresh squeezed OJ was a particular treat. beds super comfy, with good quality linens, everything very clean and the staff attentive to their guests. great bar and restaurant too. we enjoyed our experience and looking forward to our next stay at the Hawthorne.

Dear Astra_12,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your compliments for our excellent team. I will be sure to share your kind words with Sarah, Tess, and the rest of the Hawthorne staff.

You had the pleasure of staying in one of our Derby Rooms, which happen to be one of my favorite of the thirteen room types here at the Hawthorne for the very reason you mentioned—having two bathrooms while away (and traveling with a roommate or two or three) is just wonderful! I’m glad that you enjoyed the room, and that you found our beds and linens to be comfortable.

Thank you for also sharing your thoughts on our two in-house restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s. No doubt fellow TripAdvisor readers will find it helpful to have such a well-rounded review when researching the Hawthorne.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I travel to Salem, Ma. on business, for a few days, about every 6-8 months. In the past, I have always stayed at the Salem Waterfront Hotel. My experiences there, have been OK, but just OK, the Salem Waterfront Hotel, has a very sterile feeling to it.

This time, I decided to stay at the Hawthorne Hotel, and was very pleased I did. The rooms are great! The food and drinks, in the restaurant and Tap room, were super! The customer service through out the hotel, was Exceptional!!! I have not enjoyed, the warm & welcoming customer service which I received at the Hawthorne Hotel, anywhere else, in a very long time. From Jessica at the front desk, who I made my reservation with, the night before my stay, to Tess & Elizabeth, my waitresses in the restaurant, and also Allison in the Tap Room, they made me feel very welcome. The Hawthorne Hotel, is a great place to stay, and a very good value for the price. I will stay there again.

1 Thank Jrsbhunt
Dear Jrsbhunt,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your first stay with us, and that you appreciated the historic nature of our hotel. We often find that guests appreciate the unique, comfortable atmosphere of the Hawthorne over the more sterile feel of more recently constructed hotels. With each of our rooms being individually furnished for comfort, but also including all the modern amenities one could desire such as large flat-panel televisions equipped with free HBO and true high-definition programming, and with iPod docking stations and extra electrical outlets built in to the bases of the table lamps, we think we provide it all for our guests.

I appreciate your kind words for our team, and your specific recognition of the efforts of Jessica, Tess, Elizabeth, and Allison. I will be sure to share your compliments with them and the rest of our excellent staff.

We look forward to your return because we want to welcome you back; we really enjoy providing hospitality, especially to guests who appreciate our style.

Best,

Brattleboro
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here for a night in May with my girlfriend. I've stayed at some pretty nice five star properties around the world, and even though Tripadvisor has the Hawthorne at only three stars, it is right up there with my favorites. The hotel staff was great, and the hotel itself offered a unique old school charm. We loved it.

Our suite had excellent views downtown Salem, and the location was perfect. Everything was in walking distance, we didn't have to drive anywhere. It was very spacious, and there were HDTVs in both the living room and bedroom. The bed seemed larger than a regular king size, and was super comfy. The Pharmacopia toiletries in the bathroom were very good quality. The decor throughout the room and hotel was very historically authentic and luxurious.

My girlfriend is into the supernatural, which was the main reason for the room and hotel we choose, and it did not dissapoint. She stayed up all night, and was very satisfied with the experience. Plenty of unusual phenomena; orbs in photos, the bedroom door moving back and forth, chandelier shaking. I wish I was able to stay up to experience everything, but couldn't quite make it to 3am. I'm a nonbeliever, hoping to be convinced otherwise, and would love to stay there again to help change my mind. If it's going to happen anywhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Oliver M,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your brief stay with us, and appreciate the wonderful compliment of comparing us to the other wonderful properties you have stayed at.

We love your compliments about your suite. We find that the small details such as those that you noted in your review, from the high-quality Pharmacopia toiletries to the flat-screen televisions, iPod docking station, appropriately located makeup/shaving mirrors, and exceptionally comfortable beds are what make our guests feel so comfortable and taken care of in our rooms.

We have never been able to prove whether or not the Hawthorne is haunted, but I’m pleased that your girlfriend enjoyed the experience. We hope to see you both again soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 May 2014

There are two parking lots available to guests of the hotel. We found a spot in the parking lot behind the hotel itself (there is a second one across the street). The parking lot and hotel is across the street from a park.. We arrived early for check in so they gave us our parking pass. We left our luggage in the car and went exploring the city. We returned to check in and we were promptly provided with access cards to our room. When we got out of the elevator I noticed that there was a room service food tray on a chair next to a bookshelf filled with books. Hours later, after our return from dinner, the tray was still there! As we walked through the hall we noticed a strong cigarette odor and we became concerned that we had been sent to a smoking room. However, we were relieved when we got to our room because there was no sign of smoke odor. Upon entering the room there was a table/desk immediately to the right and the door to the restroom to the left. The restroom was small, but serviceable. The toilet was immediately behind the door and a shower was located to the right. The shower had an overhead light, something that some hotels don't have. My wife really liked the four-poster bed! The room also had a separate table and television area next to two very large windows. The view from the windows was the heating/cooling system and the parking lot. Speaking of the cooling/heating system, it was interesting. The heating is turned on at night and the air conditioning is on during the day. The problem was that I didn't know at what time the system would switch over to heating so I set the thermostat and went to bed only to awaken to a very warm room! I got up and adjusted the thermostat and everything was copacetic for the rest of the night. This hotel is part of the Historic Hotels of America. My wife and I have stayed at many of these hotels and we love the quirky circumstances caused by the fact that these hotels are old and modern amenities are not always possible. I don't normally read the hotel booklet that describes the hotel and services available, but this time I did and discovered that each guest can ask for one bottle of water for each day. We definitely took advantage of that! My wife and I enjoyed the complimentary coffee/tea available in the lobby. I also enjoy reading the local newspapers wherever I go. The hotel provides a choice between the local paper and USA Today. Overall, my stay at this hotel was sufficiently positive that we changed our reservations at the next place we were going to stay at from a Holiday Inn to a Historical Hotel of America at our subsequent destination. I would have liked to stay one more night because the bed was very comfortable!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear CalAlumTraveler,

Thank you for your lovely and thorough review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you and your wife both appreciated the historic nature of our Hotel. Because we are, as you mentioned, one of the Historic Hotels of America, we take pride in maintaining a certain unique atmosphere at the Hawthorne while still providing our guests with a comfortable place to enjoy their visit to Salem. Our rooms are each individually furnished for comfort, and include many modern amenities such as flat screen televisions and iPod docking stations. Our mattresses, which I’m happy to hear you enjoyed, are made right here in Salem!

In addition to in-room amenities, we are happy to be able to offer those other small items that we feel really make a difference for our guests. In addition to a complimentary bottle of water for each day of their stay, our guests are welcome to a complimentary cup of “to-go” coffee or tea whenever our Lobby coffee station is closed. These items can be obtained from the Tavern Restaurant during the day, and during the overnight hours our front desk staff member will help you obtain your coffee or tea. Guests are also able to enjoy our small exercise room in the Hotel, or venture a short distance to the local YMCA.

Our heating and cooling system is certainly unique due to the age of our Hotel, and the times at which we “switchover” are not scheduled but based upon the weather itself and the overall needs of our guests. If you should stay with us again and you have any questions, we always encourage guests to call our Front Desk for assistance with the system.

Because we are centrally located in historic downtown Salem and guarantee parking to our overnight guests, we know that guests appreciate being able to check-in, park their cars behind the Hotel, and walk worry-free to the many wonderful sites that Salem has to offer. I hope that you enjoyed the city’s excellent shopping district, museums, and historic sites, all within walking distance of the Hawthorne.

As for the room service tray, I appreciate you bringing my attention to the length of time it was left to be picked up. I have forwarded your comments to the Dining Services Managers as this should have been collected during regular rounds of the hallways. I will make sure that the importance of this is made clear to them.

Thank you again for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the Hawthorne. I’m certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate the time and level of detail you have given in providing us your feedback. We certainly do like receiving such detailed reviews ourselves.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!