“Staff is friendly and attentive!”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Philadelphia, PA
“Staff is friendly and attentive!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Me and my girlfriends go every year for weekend in october. We love the location. The hotel is old but thats what makes it special! its well kept and clean. doesnt look old or dreary and the windows open. Awesome. the staff is always great with our questions we love it here. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask the staff they will be happy to help you chose a room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear JANEEN15,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As someone who has stayed with us several times—and at our busiest time!—we certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. October is a unique time for the city and for the Hawthorne, and I’m glad you enjoy it and continue to come back.

I wonder if you have ever had the opportunity to attend our annual Halloween Party? This year’s Party will be held on October 25 and the theme, Mardi Gras Masquerade, promises to be a hit! Tickets will be on sale soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Turkish first
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here this past week. We gave the front desk two hours notice after a horrible experience in Hyannis... They found us a room within the two hours and completely turned our vacation around. Excellent customer service. This hotel is quaint, clean, and has a wonderful vibe. The decor is warm and inviting. This is the best hotel that I have stayed at in America. The free a.m coffee in the lobby is tasty as well.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the park are great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear MarkS C,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel—to be named your favorite hotel in America is a true compliment! I’m so pleased that our Front Desk team was able to accommodate you on short notice, and that the Hawthorne was able to save your vacation. We believe that we at the Hawthorne are not in the hotel business, but in the hospitality business, and we choose staff who we believe will make our guests feel welcome and at home. I’m glad we were able to do that for you and will be certain to pass along your compliments to our team!

Warm regards,

Taiwan
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a gorgeous, old hotel - beautiful inside and out. I can only assume that the bathrooms were added after it was built as nobody would ever design rooms with bathrooms so small - kind of difficult to close the door once you're in there. However, I still recommend it because it's so close to everything you want to see in Salem. We bought the package that included passes to museums and we found this was a great way to go. Breakfast credit slips of $10 covered the continental breakfast which was perfectly fine before a day out sight-seeing. We ate in the hotel pub the first night but ate all other lunches and dinners at local restaurants. Lots of reasonably priced eating establishments in the vacinity. We parked the car for free and didn't need to use the entire time we were there. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank galpine70
Dear galpine70,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the Hotel’s rich historical atmosphere. Our Explore Salem package is certainly a great deal and a wonderful way to experience the city.

Because our Hotel was built in the 1920s, the rooms do not fit the standard size of more contemporary hotels. Believe it or not, the Hotel used to hold more guestrooms—prior owners renovated the property and combined rooms to make them larger, but unfortunately it seems they did it without a master plan, and without regard for bathroom size! Being a historic hotel, one of our charms is that we offer thirteen different room types, all of which vary in size and style. Should you stay with us again, please speak with our Front Desk team about your room needs; they are more than happy to help find you a room that would better suit.

We hope to see you again soon.

Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Every year we plan a trip for our wedding anniversary. This year we chose Salem and stayed at the Hawthorne hotel. The hotel is very nicely decorated and has that old elegant style. We had made our reservations by phone and understood we would have a room overlooking the park, but when we checked it, we did not get the room we were promised. There was a wedding at the hotel that weekend, so I am sure we got "bumped" from the room we were promised but we were a bit disappointed in not getting the room we expected. We did get a corner suite which was spacious and comfortable. Our travel to the hotel was a road trip, we found the hotel fairly easy and once we were parked we did not have to use our car again until we left. The Trolley was a short walk away and we got our money worth out of our ticket to do the touristy sites and take in a restaurant. We ate in the tavern at the hotel twice, The food was good but they did not have the nightly special although we were there a bit before the dinner crowd. The 2nd night we were there, my husband saw someone walk from the bedroom to the sitting room in our suite. It was not me, so we believe he got to see one of the ghosts that are reported to reside at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TravelDudette,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We are delighted that you chose to celebrate your anniversary this year at our Hotel. As I’m sure you can imagine, we host a number of events throughout the year and, big or small, we love our part in making each one special. A couple visiting for their anniversary is no exception.

We are quite lucky to be centrally located in historic Salem and, because we guarantee parking for our overnight guests, this makes it easy for guests to park their car, check in, and begin exploring the city. The Salem Trolley is an excellent way to see and learn about Salem’s history and attractions!

With regards to your room, I can assure you that you would not have been bumped due to a wedding party. However, it appears that we gave you a complimentary upgrade to a suite in order to keep you away from a wedding party, so that you would not have to deal with the exuberance that is sometimes part of a happy celebration like that. Should you stay with us again, please let our clerks know at the time of your reservation that you would prefer to keep the room you are booking and they will make a note in the reservation.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

OMG! I've never encountered bathrooms this small. You can't help but laugh at the size. It accommodates 1 small person at a time-that's it! Don't even try to squeeze 2 small people. I'm only 5'1" and my knees almost touched the wall while sitting on the toilet. We had 4 women in our room and it was not sufficient space for putting on makeup and typical morning routines. Very comical.
Being an older hotel, it is well maintained. We liked the character of the hotel and having chandeliers in our room. The staff was friendly and seemed knowledgeable of the area. It's in a great location where you can walk to most attractions.
The lobby area seems a little dark and drab IMO. Overall-it was an ok stay. Probably wouldn't stay here again because of the bathroom space, unless I received a fantastic rate...

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lovepuzzles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear lovepuzzles,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you found our staff to be so welcoming and helpful during your visit.

As a historic hotel, we offer a variety of rooms, all of which vary in size and style. This is quite different from contemporary hotels which typically offer two standard room types. It is true that some of our bathrooms can be smaller than in a more modern hotel, but I hope that you will reconsider staying with us again. Our clerks are happy to discuss your room needs with you, and for your situation it sounds like one of our Derby Rooms, our only guest rooms that offer two bathrooms, or a bath and a half-bath, may have suited you just right.

The lobby has just received a complete makeover, and it is much brighter and more welcoming now. We hope you will enjoy it the next time you stay with us.

Last but not least, if you will contact me personally I will make sure you are accorded some special complimentary upgrades the next time you visit us, as a token of our concern for the size of the bathroom you encountered. You can email me at info@HawthorneHotel.com or call me at 978-744-4080.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Salem.

Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for two nights. I would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Salem. The staff were amazing (both at the front desk and at both of the restaurants). The food at the restaurants was delicious and the room was great. It was perfect for our needs and very close to everything!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ultimate_Glamper
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Ultimate_Glamper,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room and our staff to be so welcoming.

Both of our two in-house restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s, offer unique atmospheres and excellent menus, and so I’m glad that you also took the opportunity to dine with us during your visit. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our Chefs.

We hope to see you again soon.

London, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel is very nice, but the best part about it is location. Free parking in the center of town is a great way to assure that I will stay again. You can easily walk to about anything in Salem from the Hawthorne. The hotel is almost 100 years old, but it is well maintained and has everything you need. The staff was friendly, and although I didn't eat at either of them, it is nice to have two restaurants in the hotel to choose from. I have no complaints with the Hawthorne, and if I return to Salem, this will be the hotel I stay at.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dustin T
Dear Dustin T,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our central location in historic Salem added to your trip. As you mentioned, our overnight guests are guaranteed parking, making it ideal for those who wish to check-in and immediately begin exploring all that Salem has to offer.

I appreciate your kind compliments for our staff as well, and will be certain to share your review with them.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!