“Neat experience”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not gonna lie- this hotel is on the pricey side. As someone who's only done chain hotels and motels though, this was a real treat. It reminded me of Disney's Haunted Mansion. It's old and full of charm. We stayed on the 6th floor, and our room had 2 bathrooms. My only complaints are that breakfast is too pricey (we opted for goodies at A & J instead) and the doors to the bathrooms and closets are old and squeaky when opened and closed. That didn't bother us, but I could see it being a problem for some. Overall, this has been my most favorite hotel experience ever. I could see it being a great place for couples to spend a few nights. Loved it!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Elizabeth F
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Elizabeth F,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the Hotel’s unique historic charm added to your visit.

We feel that our prices for rooms and for our restaurants is competitive with the area when you take into account the special amenities we offer (such as complimentary overnight parking, Wi-Fi, and passes to the local YMCA) and the high quality of the ingredients we use, like freshly squeezed orange juice and real maple syrup, as well as made-from-scratch Hollandaise sauce.

Thank you again for your feedback. It is through our guests’ experiences that we are able to continue bettering our Hotel and restaurants.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This summer we visited Salem again with one of our grandchildren. Although we have always been impressed with the city's attractions, up until now we have been unimpressed with hotel options.
The Hawthorne Hotel changed all that. As an historic hotel, it maintains the charm of an earlier era, but with modern upgrades. Although there are older trappings ( small bathrooms and closets), those do not really detract from the warmth and hospitality of the hotel. The restaurant and bar area offer good food and solicitous service. The central location of the Hawthorne make it ideal; you will not need a car for a brief visit because everything is within walking distance. In fact, this year, we once again took the high speed ferry from Boston on a beautiful day. The Salem Trolley was there for visitors, and we hopped on the tour to get to our hotel. Thereafter, the staff of the Hawthorne saw to our every need. For a memorable weekend, or brief stay, choose Salem and the Hawthorne.

Room Tip: Check with the staff about the availability of a suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank gourmetgirl44

Dear gourmetgirl44,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that after several visits to the city you found your way to us!

We are very proud to be one of the Historic Hotels of America and do our best to maintain that unique charm and atmosphere throughout the Hotel while still accommodating the more modern needs of our guests. This is why we offer complimentary Wi-Fi service, flat screen televisions in each guestroom, iPod docking stations, and more.

It sounds like you took advantage of our great location to really explore Salem and the surrounding areas. The Salem Trolley is one of our city’s gems and a great way to see the city’s attractions, and the Salem-Boston Ferry is a wonderful and relaxing way to come from, and/or go into Boston!

I’m pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I, my wife and son stayed here for one night and we should have stayed here for 5! Its a very nice place and the old look really plays well with the area. I like antiques (my wife does not) and both of us enjoyed the hotel. The beds were great but don't expect too much room in the bathroom, its quite small.

We did not see any ghosts so we are going to need to come back and stay on other floors to see if we can experience the paranormal!

All in all a great hotel!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RacerDad0

Dear RacerDad0,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, though I’m sorry you were only able to be here for one night! I’m also pleased that you enjoyed the historic nature of our Hotel which, as you mentioned, complements Salem well. I hope you had the opportunity to explore the city’s many great offerings, especially the Peabody Essex Museum and the House of the Seven Gables.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is a wonderful hotel located in the heart of Salem. We parked our car and walked everywhere. The front desk staff was extremely helpful, particularly Maggie who gave us great advice about Boston. The beds were comfy and the room was big enough for the four of us. The shower could have used some shelves or something to put your stuff on, but that was my only complaint (and that wasn't such a big deal). We did not eat in the restaurants so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank exit130

Dear exit130,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room to be welcoming and comfortable. I also appreciate your compliments for Maggie, one of the members of our excellent Front Desk team, and will be certain to pass along your kind words to her and the rest of our staff.

Thank you for your suggestion about the shower. We did have shower caddies in the bathrooms that do not have built-in shelves, so we will look at what might have become of the one in your room.

Best,

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Staying at this place during my visit to Salem was truly a treat. It was probably my favorite thing about Salem. It is a full service kind of place with a direct focus on the customer. The architecture and feel of the historic building swept me away to a different time. Have a drink in the tavern and have breakfast in the restaurant the next morning. Read the history on the walls. The beds are super comfortable. The view was nice. My room was spacious. Everyone was friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sarahmckitty
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear sarahmckitty,

Your review made our day! We are truly honored that you considered your stay with us to be the best part of your visit to Salem. I’m pleased you enjoyed the historic atmosphere of our Hotel, as well as the convenience and quality of our two in-house restaurants. Our beds are made right here in Salem by the Gardner Mattress Company, and we are proud to support local, American manufacturing.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Hawthorne and found the staff friendly and helpful. The room was small but well furnished and clean as was the bathroom. The food was good in the two restaurants. One of the best features was its location, we didn't get in our car for two days, just walked to all the things we wanted to see. We would book again if we returned to Salem.

Room Tip: If you want to spend a lot of time in your room, choose a large one. We have a kingsize bed and it...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jane T

Dear Jane T,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room to be welcoming and well taken care of. I’m also glad that you took advantage of and enjoyed our two in-house restaurants, Tavern on the Green, and Nathaniel’s.

We are quite lucky to be centrally located in downtown Salem, making us the ideal place to stay for those who wish to take in all the city has to offer. Because we guarantee parking for our overnight guests, guests are conveniently able to check in, park their car, and walk around town worry-free. With all there is to do and see around Salem, I hope you had a wonderful time!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

What a treat. My husband and I booked room 325 for a weekend stay and we had the best time. The room is gorgeous. It features a walk-in shower, large comfy beds, is very clean, has lots of light, plush chairs, and a separate bathroom that is shared between your two hotel rooms. If you google this room, you'll see people claim they've experienced paranormal activities in it but, alas, we did not. Solid Wifi, free parking, terrific customer service, a colorful history in a true historic hotel in addition to being located in the heart of the action make this hotel a winner.

We even watched the Ghost Hunters episode filmed in room 325 while staying there and had so much fun seeing exactly where we we sitting on a television show.

If you're able, go downstairs to The Library and enjoy the ambience. Also, don't forget to visit the sixth floor for possible spooky goodness.

Room Tip: I highly recommend room 325. You'll receive two beds in two different rooms for one price.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank childfree_traveller

Dear childfree_traveller,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room to be comfortable and welcoming. The many amenities you mention, including our complimentary Wi-Fi and guaranteed parking for overnight guests, are some of the many things we feel make us a great place to stay for business and pleasure alike.

Although we have also heard stories of paranormal activities, we ourselves have never experienced anything of that nature in the Hotel. As you saw, we did have Ghost Hunters come through several years ago, but their findings were inconclusive.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!