“Not your average boring hotel”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Nova Scotia
“Not your average boring hotel”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We loved this hotel! Stayed for two nights and made it a package deal with tickets to some outside attractions and some meals in the hotel. This turned out to be a great deal and I would highly recommend it. The hotel itself is beautiful. It is traditional and has many unique touches that you don't see in newer hotels - such as the library room on the downstairs level. Very romantic and charming. We had a room in the mid size and found it bigger than the average hotel room and extremely clean. We had two big windows facing the street and with a great view of the Witch Museum. It was a great experience and we are planning to go back for next years Halloween Ball!

Room Tip: There is a wide variety of rooms. We choose a room around mid size and loved it! Also - ask to be f...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear InnloverNovaScotia,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took advantage of one of our great special packages. It sounds like you may have found our Explore Salem package, which is wonderful for those wanting to visit some of the local museums.

Our 2015 Halloween Party will be held on Friday, October 30, 2015. This annual Party is a great way to spend Halloween in Salem, with live music, great food, and a wide variety of quality costumes. Room packages for that weekend will go on sale after our Halloween Party this year and sell out very quickly, so make sure to download the form for reservations from our website as soon as the package opens!

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Turkish first
Tpms Rivet Nj
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Had a wonderful time in this hotel. All employees were superb and went out of their way to do whatever we asked.Bryn and Brent went out of their way to make out stay the best. Had dinner in Nathanial's and it was excellent. Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.

Dear Ruth K,

Thank you for you review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Because we believe we are not in the hotel business, but in the hospitality business, we take great care when choosing members for our team. I appreciate your recognizing Brynn and Brent for their helpful nature, and will be sure to pass along your compliments to them and the rest of our team.

Warm regards,

East Hampstead, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel which hosted my wife's 50th High School Reunion. When we arrived the parking lot was full, but the attendant found us a space and gave us the parking pass for the night. The room we got was very nice and comfortable with a nice view of Salem.
The food provided by the hotel for the evening dinner was all very delicious, but the desserts were exceptional. We also had brunch in a private room and the food was once again excellent.
Both check in and check out were very easy and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 760Bill,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, and that her 50th High School Reunion was a night to remember. We take great pride in every event we host at the Hotel, as we enjoy our part in making each one special. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our Banquets team and to our Culinary Staff.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

BROWNFIELD
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here on Saturday night - I was concerned that there was a security deposit required and that they stated they had a "firm zero tolerance policy on noise" - all of this made me HOPE we would be able to get a good night's sleep. I had nothing to worry about. We stayed on the 4th floor in a large, quiet room that was silent - just what we needed after a long day! The staff was helpful and friendly - they made some good recommendations (Opus) for where to grab a drink out of the hotel. We did have a drink in the hotel bar before heading up for the night and the staff there was super nice. The hotel is in a great location, convenient for walking, shopping and sightseeing. Would like to stay here again some time!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear scubahollie,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our “no tolerance” noise policy made sure you had a pleasant night of sleep.

With all there is to do and see in Salem, we consider ourselves very lucky to be centrally located downtown. Our overnight guests are guaranteed complimentary parking, allowing them to walk to and enjoy any of the city’s many attractions. I’m glad you took advantage of this and enjoyed some sightseeing and shopping during your visit.

Georgetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I wanted to stay here. It's an older building, but nicely refurbished, right dead center in Salem, right next to the common, up the street from Pickering Wharf, across the block from Laurie Cabot's witch shop. Has a bit of a nautical motif, the restaurant is called the Main Brace, nice old paintings on panelled walls in the lobby, leather sofas, lots of brass and lights with green shades. The hotel is not large, maybe 8 floors, smallish footprint. Reminds me of the small old hotels they have in Montreal. We got a Queen room and it was quite spacious tho the bathroom is a tad small but with nice, expensive looking fixtures. The bed was huge with brass fixtures, nice comfy mattress and I got myself laid frequently. I was exhausted every morning. I run every day and from here you can head down to the Willows (too far to walk) or up Essex Street among the shops which are closer. Some nice restaurants tho for some you'd have to walk as much as four blocks if that's a problem. I'm not a bar person but enjoyed sitting in the hotel's nice leathery lounge.

Room Tip: Lookout over the common.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Louetta
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Louetta,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the historic nature of our Hotel added to your experience. As I’m sure you could tell, we take pride in our history and in the history of Salem, and thus do our best to maintain our charming atmosphere.

I’m glad that you also enjoyed the cozy atmosphere of our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green, which boasts comfortable, wingback chairs and a lovely fireplace. I hope you also took advantage of our fine dining restaurant, Nathaniel’s, which was formerly known as the Main Brace some years ago.

Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here as it was the only reasonable location available prior to an early triathlon the following morning. Had 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) in a 2 bed room. It was surprisingly spacious with a sitting area extension adjoining the beds. Well appointed. However, the bathroom was comically small. The staff were friendly and parking (even for two vehicles) was no problem. We were only there to sleep -- but the lobby, bar and restaurant appeared inviting. We had to take the stairs to the fourth floor to transport the bike; one might want to steer clear of the second floor. Even in the morning, the second floor reeked of cigarette smoke -- not sure if that is the smoking floor or not.

The hotel has a classic New England feel to it -- similar to the Park Plaza in Boston.

We did not have time to exercise, though I make it a point to always check out the fitness room. I was surprised that they had one -- though it appeared to just be a small room with only a few pieces of equipment -- better than I would have expected, though.

No noise issues -- we were perhaps the loudest guests present.

A bit overpriced, but a nice experience, nonetheless.

1 Thank Duke93UNC97
Dear Duke93UNC97,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. As a historic Hotel, our rooms differ in size and style from those of a chain hotel, and so our bathrooms can be smaller than one may be used to. I’m glad that the overall room size was good for you and your family, and recommend that should you stay with us again you inquire about our two-bathroom Derby Rooms, which are great for those travelling with a few people.

The second floor is indeed our smoking floor. I’m sorry that the smoke bothered you as you crossed through. We are in the process of going smoke-free in the Hotel and expect to be completely smoke-free as of 2015.

I am perplexed to know why you didn’t just take your bike up to the 4th floor in our elevator? Was it a tandem, and therefore extra-long bike? I have seen other guests take their bikes up, which is why I am puzzled. Did someone give you the impression that was not allowed somehow? I am always curious to know how we can improve, so knowing what might have transpired here would be useful.

You may be interested to know that in addition to our small on-site fitness room, we also offer our overnight guests complimentary passes to the local YMCA which is just a short walk from the Hotel. As expected, the workout facility is much larger and includes a pool. This is just one of the many great amenities that factor into our competitive rates.

Thank you again for your detailed feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It is a charming & elegant hotel. From check in to check out every one of the employees was, helpful. polite and considerate. At one point I was sitting in the lobby when the chef, Maggie happened by. I hadn't realized she was the chef and asked her a question that was more for the desk clerk. Maggie ended up spending over 10 minutes happily answering all my questions about the hotel and area. She was a wonderful person to meet.
Additionally, the GM made the rounds through the dining and Tavern area just to personally great each guest and inquire about our stay.
Speaking of the Tavern -- food was excellent but the Apple desert with vanilla ice cream was out of this world good. Pretty basic ingredients but they put a little bit of magic in it and I went back another night just for desert.
The accommodations were "awesome". I was travelling with my 2 teenage daughters and the room was big enough for them to lay out clothes everywhere, 20 shopping bags by weeks' end, enjoy 2 queen ? king? size beds and have a bath and half plus a desk with mirror that quickly became make-up central ... and this was a room NOT a suite.
Hawthorne is a Historical Hotel and nearly a hundred years old yet the bathrooms were modern, clean and efficient yet still blended perfectly into the historic setting.
I will definitely be staying here again.

1 Thank SteveC48
Dear SteveC48,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Though we are a historic hotel and our rooms differ from those of more contemporary chain hotel, we pride ourselves on offering a unique charm that we feel our guests enjoy. I’m pleased you found the Hotel to be so well taken care of, and that your daughters had plenty of room for their shopping bags!

I appreciate you recognizing Chef Maggie for her friendly attitude and helpfulness and will be sure to share your kind words with her and the rest of our staff.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!