“Beautiful Classic Hotel”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This heritage hotel has an older charm, we had a nicely appointed room, good amenities, and we tried their convenient on-site restaurants for lunch and breakfast. On site parking available. Easy walking distance to many shops and restaurants and beautiful park across the road. We enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank JJTravels2014
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear JJTravels2014:

While your review might be succinct, you really cover all the pertinent facts to describe a visit to the historic Hawthorne Hotel. Thank you so much for your lovely words, and for taking the time to create this review. We sincerely appreciate it.

I would love to visit with you to learn what it was about our “service” that did not merit full marks since you gave us just 3 stars out of a possible 5 stars. If you have a few moments to drop me an email at info@hawthornehotel.com or call me at 978-744-4080 I would appreciate it. Since there was no mention in your narrative of what we could do to improve in that area, and since we generally receive really high accolades about our personalized service, and since we are always working to do better by listening to our guests, we are very curious.

Juli Lederhaus

Write a ReviewReviews (2,038)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I had our wedding reception/party at the Hawthorne and stayed the night in a two-room suite. The hotel has a lot of historic charm, the service was great and the room was very comfortable. Had dinner at the Tavern and breakfast the next morning at Sofia's. Food was excellent. Would definitely recommend the Hawthorne to anyone visiting Salem.

Dear Dave N,

Congratulations to you and your wife! I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that your reception was everything you had hoped for. Our Banquets team takes pride in their part in making a special day that much more so.

I’m glad that you also enjoyed dining with us and will be certain to pass along your compliments to our Chef.

We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Our family spent a night in room 626. Got a quiet peaceful night of sleep. The room itself was a very nice size. The bathrooms and elevators will seem small too many visitors, but this is an older that appears to have been well maintained. The hotel staff was very friendly. The hotel is within walking distance of all attractions in Salem.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear RJ1710,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated the Hawthorne’s history. As you noted, we do our best to maintain our charming atmosphere while still providing a high-quality environment that accommodates the modern needs of our guests.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

EVERYONE at this hotel was happy friendly and very helpful and knowledgeable about the city and surrounding towns. I would definitely stay here again. Room was cozy and very comfortable. The lobby was warm and inviting. Coffee and water available ALL day. Did not eat at any of the restaurants.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Mmannke,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff was accommodating and helpful as you planned your time in Salem. There is so much to do around town and in the North Shore area—I hope you had a lovely time!

In addition to complimentary coffee available in our Lobby in the mornings or from our restaurants throughout the day, we also offer complimentary lemonade in the summertime and delicious cider in the fall and winter—just a couple of little touches we know our guests love.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed at the Hawthorne for my brother's wedding in February, 2013 (Sorry, TripAdvisor doesn't allow me to go back that far).

It was the first time in a very long time that I stayed in a hotel in MA. The hotel is right down the street from the Salem Witch Museum, and is walking distance from shops, restaurants, House of the Seven Gables, and many other historic landmarks.

The staff at the Hawthorne are amazing. They really go out of their way for their guests. Now, I admit the room I had for the wedding was probably not the "standard" room, but it was AMAZING. I had a huge room with a dining table and everything.

The lobby of the hotel is very well done. I loved the vintage decor (which is probably all original).

I would love to stay at the Hawthorne again one day.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any bad rooms here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear DannyA3579,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that your brother’s wedding was just as wonderful. As a historic hotel, we take pride in our unique atmosphere, and so I’m glad that this added to the enjoyment of your visit.

As you mentioned, the Hawthorne is ideally located in downtown Salem, placing us within walking distance of the city’s many excellent museums, shops, and other attractions. I hope you had some time to enjoy the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Location, Ambiance, Historical Value, Cleanliness, Quality, Charm, Value, Elegance, Amenities, Comfort ... CHECK! And above & beyond this hotel excels in it's HOSPITALITY! I've travelled the world over (several times!) & have stayed in hotels too numerous to count--NOwhere have I enjoyed the courtesy, integrity and genuine warmth that my wife and I received at the Hawthorne. Mia at the front desk was SO helpful in guiding us around town and suggesting how best to experience Salem. The wait staff at the two WONDERFUL restaurants on site (especially Jasmine, Helen & Beau) made us feel at home and the food was the best we found in all of Salem. Even the general manager visited our table to ensure we were enjoying the best the hotel had to offer! UNheard of in the hotel biz! We will DEFINITELY come back to the Hawthorne and we'll find something to do in Salem while we're there ... our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: My wife is handicapped and the hotel was more than accommodating!

Dear Gary R,

We are just overwhelmed by your wonderful review! I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our team members made such a strong impression. We take great care to choose staff who we know share our belief that we are not in the hotel business but in the hospitality business. I will be certain to share your compliments with Mia, Jasmina, Helen, Beau, and the rest of our team.

It was delightful to meet you, and I appreciate your recognizing that not every hotel general manager does take the time to truly get to know the guests. I enjoy doing that immensely, as I learn so much about how we are doing as a team.

Thank you again for sharing your lovely compliments for our Hotel, our two restaurants, and our excellent staff. We hope to welcome your and your wife back again soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed 1 night in a suite. The hotel is charming and elegant. The suite had a bedroom and separate living room with pullout couch. There were nice flat screen tv's in both rooms. room service nachos were awesome! The bathroom has a door into the bedroom and a door into the foyer. The windows are very large and look out onto Essex St. The fridge was a good size. No mini bar. High quality bath products. The key access is using RFID technology, so you just wave your key card in front of it, which is super convenient. The room temp was fine, it's a central heating and cooling system and they provide instructions if you need to adjust it. They allowed us to bring our dog, which was wonderful. The only negative was it looked like the curtain in the bedroom window had some dark spots on it on one side, but everything else was so beautifully decorated it didn't matter. Free lobby coffee was nice.

Room Tip: Room 612 is on the top floor corner with a view down Essex St.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear GreenFoody:

Wow, thank you so much for the excellent review. We do sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write in such detail, as these kinds of reviews are so helpful to future travelers.

Thank you especially for providing enough detail that we can look at the one small negative that you notes, and endeavor to correct it.

We will be sure to share your kind comments with the rest of the team here at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warmly,

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#6 of 9 in Danvers
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!