“My one night stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stephen Daniels House
Ranked #8 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I'm sorry it took me so long to write a review about my stay. Well here goes. I needed a place to stay for one night(a friday, no less). I didn't think anyplace would say it was ok. When I called the Stephen Daniels House, and spoke to Kay, she told me that she had an opening for that evening. When I got there, I was greeted by Kay. She gave me a tour and a some history about the house. Then, she showed me to my room. The room was lovely, but, it had a shared bathroom. I don't feel comfortable with that. But, seeing that I was the only one there that night, it didn't matter. The antiques and the history of the house was so interesting. Kay was a delight to listen to. I met Robin, who was an absolute delight. On Saturday morning I sat down to breakfast, and Kay sat with me. I was meeting my friend at around 10:00, but, would have loved to sit a while and listen to Kays many stories. I will definitely stay here again. But, I would request the room with the private bathroom. (I didn't know about it until I read a previously listed review). You won't be dissappointed if you stay at the Stephen Daniels House!! Chuck from CT.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
robin m, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Hi Thank You so much for your wonderful review, we enjoyed having you here at the Daniels House and look forward to your return. I just want to correct you if you don't mind, all the rooms have their very own private bathrooms, no bathrooms are shared between the guest. Maybe the way Kay explained it you got confused. No worries, again thank you for taking the time to give a great review, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

If you're coming to check out Salem, chances are you dig that historical New England charm. To complete the experience, stay at the Stephen Daniels house- straight out of the 1600's and in your face! We loved it! So much to look at-antiques everywhere. The bathroom fixtures were totally updated (thank goodness), but besides that, it was very much like spending the weekend at your great, great grandmothers house. If you're looking for a bland, sterile Holiday Inn experience, this is not for you. But if you like your accommodations to have personality, quirk, and a real sense of history, please book a room here! we were the only guests fir the weekend, so we had Kay and Robin all to ourselves. Fresh baked muffins, fresh fruit, coffee, and wonderful conversations each morning. I would definitely stay here a 2nd and 3rd time!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2013

My husband and I stopped in here, looking for a charming B&B for the night. We took a short tour of the house, and could not get out quickly enough. The innkeeper was rude, and while walking through the house, we could feel very negative and scary energy...like someone was watching us/following us. All of the décor and furnishings are musty and dusty, and each room is filled with creepy dolls and toys. We didn't stay the night; we could barely handle 5 minutes!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Amy A
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The Stephen Daniels house is a step back into colonial time. The house was built in the late 1600s with the other part built in the 1700s, we stayed in the great room, which includes a fireplace and is a massive room. Kay and Robin are great hosts, we had great conversation in the morning. Breakfast is very basic, muffins and coffee which is strong. Some of the muffins were cold in the middle, but I didn't really care much as we were most likely going to eat for lunch somewhere in the area. We were greeted each night by Sabrina, Kay's adorable cat. The house is huge, and there are rooms everywhere. It is filled with antiques and knick-knacks and each one has a story. Also in a lot of drawers of things, people leave little sayings which is a cute charm. Exploring through the house, I discovered the Acorn room, which is stunning. A gripe I have is a $15 charge for getting the fire started inside the rooms. Kind of an inconvenience for the traveler on those colder nights. They do have a drive way although it's hectic getting in and out of it, because the street is so narrow, and parked cars crowd the tiny street, which is expected in Salem. I loved the morning conversations with Kay and Robin and would love to see them again in the future. I do like the fact its pet friendly, when I travel for a few days I end up missing my dog and would love to bring him to meet Kay.

Room Tip: I like the great room, Acorn room on the third level is beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

It was my second time visiting this bed and breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I loved historical things, the house, room, etc. was amazing breathtaking. Breakfast was okay, I expected something different or new but its good though. What ripped me off is the owner charged me for using the fireplace. I thought it was included in the room. Oh well. Will I come back again? Maybe or maybe not.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Johnnie083

Hi, Thank you for your review, it is very important to us to get feedback about the Inn and how we do things, basically for insurance reasons we cannot let just anyone build and lite fire's in the room, therefore the job falls mainly on one person and the $15.00 charge is for setting up the fire and the logs. The cost is not included in the room rate because not everyone has fires. Thank you for your understanding in this matter, and we hope to see you soon here at the Stephen Daniels House!

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Staying here was our favorite part of Salem. We stayed in the "Great Room", the one with the green walls and fireplace. It was beautiful and we really felt like we were living in the 1600s for a night. The room was very cozy and lighting a fire added a nice touch. The antiques all around the house were wonderful and Kay (the innkeeper) has a story for all of them! She has an interesting sense of humor, but she's a sweet lady if you take her the right way. We enjoyed staying here, but one thing i will say was the breakfast wasn't much. We didn't mind because we were getting lunch soon after, but if you want a big breakfast, they didn't have that. Request the Great room...it looked like the biggest, and its on the older side of the house, if you are looking for the experience. It also had its own bathroom attached. If you like antiques and like authenticity, stay here!

Room Tip: The great room is large and has it's own fireplace!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We were a party of 3, and just got back from Stephen Daniel's House a week ago, and we cannot wait to go back! Wish we would have booked a longer stay.

The home is well kept, yet has this age old antique charm about it, old doors that creek and original and strange knobs, locks and hinges just add to the charm. Each room contains what feels like well kept secrets, yet everything is there, open and readily available for you to interact with. We did not want to pry, but we could not help buy spy inside of the little nooks and crannies of cabinets where we found years upon years of past guest letters. These letters mentioned a ghost cat which many guests had visit them. We sadly never met the ghost cat, but nearly died laughing when Kay's cat Sabrina came walking in, while we discussed the possibilities of seeing this ghost cat. Pure coincidence, but food timing Sabrina! Haha.

The open fireplace at night was simply spectacular, and Robin went out of her way one evening for us, and another family to set it up for us.

At Stephen Daniel's House, you are taken back in time, and while others whom may find this place to not suit their likings, we found it to be a pure delight, right down to the owner Kay, Robin, and we even miss Sabrina, who comes and goes as she pleases.

Staying at this old home adds to the whole allure of being in Salem. You walk past old historical homes on a normal basis, but here in the Daniel's House, you stay in one, and it is nothing short of an interactive museum.

Cleanliness:

The house is clean, spic and span in and out. We adored our bathroom, which contained a very odd casket shaped baby rocking bed. We had forgotten to ask Kay the history behind it, but we surely will during our next visit, which we will be planning for the whole family next time.

Breakfast:

Breakfast here is included with your stay, it is not a big hearty meal, but it is more than just enough to get you moving along on your day and to tide you over till lunch. Breakfast consisted of muffins, coffee, tea or juice... or all of the above. Conversation with Kay, Robin and the other guests was awkward the first morning, but once we all broke the ice, it was as if we were dining with family.

At night, Kay shared stories, which are witty, fun and keep you entertained. She even went as far as giving one of our guests a beer from her personal stash! Haha.

Location:

This bed and breakfast has a killer location right in the heart of Salem. Upon arrival we were able to walk around the town on foot and hit up every single hot tourist attraction along the way, all in a days walk. We saw the second oldest graveyard in the USA on Charter Street, Old Burying Ground... and it was neat seeing trespassers at night lighting candles by 200 year old tombs.

Everything you could want out of Salem is all a skip away on foot from the Daniel's House, so location is perfect for those looking for the full witchy experience.

Room:

We have a very large room, but sadly I forgot the name of the room. It contained the largest fireplace in the home, and the bed was a comfy squishy canopy bed which we loved sleeping in. No complaints here.

All in all, this place is magical. It is what you make of it. And we made of it... a memory, one in which we cannot wait to try and relive.

A real blast, and we can only hope to meet the ghost cat next time!!!

Room Tip: We explored the entire home, every room has its own mystical bit of charm.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MellaView
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
#2 of 9 in Salem
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Stephen Daniels House? Share your experiences!