“My 4th of July weekend!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stephen Daniels House
Ranked #8 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Norwalk, Connecticut
“My 4th of July weekend!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Once again, I stayed at the Stephen Daniels Inn. I was welcomed back by Kay and Robin. I stayed from July 3rd through July 7th. Kay and Robin are the best. I enjoyed having breakfast in the morning wtih them. I love listening to Kays stories, and looking at all the antiques all throughout the house. On Sunday morning, I enjoyed breakfast with a couple from Maryland. Kay, Robin, the couple and I ended talking for 3 hours. I'm moving up to Salem shortly, but, won't forget to stop by and visit my new friends Kay & Robin. Go and enjoy the experience!!

Room Tip: leave it up to Kay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you are going to Salem, this is the place to stay!! My brother and I stayed here for a night(May 24th-May 25th) and it was a trip we will never forget. We were greeted by the wonderful Kay, she was so friendly and sooooo funny! She gave us a short tour, and the best word to describe the house is...STUNNING. It is so rich with history and antiques. She and her assistant Robin made us feel 100% at home. Breakfast was great, with the fireplace going, Robin made us fresh baked muffins and fresh fruit! Such a perfect start to our morning, we didn't want to leave! Everything was so clean and comfortable. And it is located in the perfect spot, walking distance to everything!! It seriously doesn't get any better than the Daniels House!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bfriedersdorf
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Stephen Daniels House is as close as one can get to spending the night in the House of Seven Gables. The charming mid-1600's home has HUGE fireplaces, comfy four poster beds, colonial furnishings, yummy yummy yummy muffins, and a staircase that is all but secret! We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and we made good use of our personal fireplace, relaxing with wine, antique puzzles, and a good book. The B&B is located just steps from the House of Seven Gables and many other historical attractions in Salem. We particularly enjoyed exploring the port area's museums, shops, and delicious restaurants. Once we arrived, we did not have to drive at all. For the adventurous traveler who wishes to experience history first hand, this is the place to stay. Thankfully, it is not just another national-hotel-chain experience. Staying at the Stephen Daniels House is exciting, enchanting, unique, and exquisite.

Room Tip: All the rooms were lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelIsMyLifeNow
San Diego
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Kay Gill and Gal Robin delivered a wonderful experience to me and my wife and dear Sister and Brother-In-Law John on our Thanksgiving Holiday in Salem. Kay offered a beautiful view of life in Salem and welcomed us into her Historical Home. Her Stories added a special bonus to our stay with her. And just a word about Robin. She could package and sell those muffins that she custom made each morning. We enjoyed our cozy suite of rooms and warm fireplace that warmed our morning and evening conversations.
When next we return to Salem we will return to this wonderful taste of Early America. Don't stay here if you are looking a cushy Marriott setting, for the money this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Look on the Website. The rooms are what they are. Warm, Cozy and full of character.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Pine Bluff, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Bed was very uncomfortable, stairs were too steep for elderly people, and when we got up the next morning, there was no one around, and no breakfast. We left and walked around town, had some breakfast, and came back, and told them we had decided not to stay another night because of the steep steps and they were decidedly less friendly, and she tacked an extra $100 to our rate. It definitely was not worth $300 for one night, and nothing like we expected. Will not be going back there. Our first bed and breakfast experience was not a nice one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Charlotte T
robin m, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
I am really sorry you feel they way you do, I thought we were quite accommodating the way I recall, usually we charge full price when someone cancels without notice on a weekend in October, the busiest time of year for us. I got you a deal and Kay only charged you half price. We serve a beautiful delicious breakfast at 9:00 a.m. sharp with a warm and cozy fire, I saw you at 8:00 a.m. and asked you if you wanted breakfast then and you declined. As far as the stairs are concerned they are up to code, they are like any other ordinary pair of stairs, there are three sets of stairs so if you didn't like one you could of chose another. If you have never stayed at a B & B and you are new to the experience, what are you basing your review on?
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My daughter and her two friends just checked out of this inn and were asked to pay double the quoted price. $425.- per night instead of for the two-night stay. It's a good thing my daughter stood her ground and only paid the promised rate. I called the inn asking what the room rates were and was told that that particular room was $165.- per night plus tax. Thank God she didn't pay the $850!!!!! that was asked for upon check-out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Paradores102
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are on a road trip through New England and as usual we just turned up on spec with no pre-bookings in Salem. Every inn we asked are fully booked and luckily stumbled across this characterful abode. We were greeted by its hospitable owner Kay Gills who gave us a brief history of the house which is full of antiques in keeping with the age and style of the property. The house manager Robin prepared a wonderful breakfast and gave us even more detail of the house. Overall an excellent stay and well recommended to anyone who would like to sleep in history. We will surely be back again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pia D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#4 of 9 in Salem
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Stephen Daniels House? Share your experiences!