“Perfect Way To Experience Salem!”
Review of Stepping Stone Inn

Stepping Stone Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 November 2012

My family and I wanted to experience Salem during the month of October and chose the Stepping Stone Inn for 2 reasons: first, we really wanted a B&B (versus a hotel chain), and second, we wanted to be in town, so we can walk to see all the sights. We were so happy with our decision! The inn was clean, the service was superb, the breakfast was great, and I felt like we really experienced Salem the way it should be experienced! Thank you, John, for your gracious hospitality! We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Myrmyr971
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to tell the wonderful people about you stay here at the Inn and the city of Salem. Wishing you & your family a Happy Holiday and look forward to seeing you again here at the stepping stone inn thanks again John if this is a repeat it is because I am not sure the first one went through

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Suspecting that the October crowds in Salem would reach record highs this year, I began planning our annual New England vacation five or six months in advance. Even then, many B&B's were booked, or outright refused to make a reservation that did not extend 3 or 4 nights. Only John at the Stepping Stone Inn was willing to make accommodations that matched our schedule -- to check in on Saturday, and to leave on Monday, Columbus Day.

Driving into Salem was a spooky experience in itself. Despite police wildly waving in the intersections, bumper to bumper traffic lined the tiny streets that were never intended to handle so many cars. Private parking lots were filled, and the parking deck itself was overflowing and closed. We knew that the price of our room included a parking pass, but we didn't know where to leave the car to go get it! Fortunately, after driving in circles, we found a meter that allowed us to park for 4 hours outside the Adriatic Bar. After a drink to unwind from the haunted traffic jam, we walked over to the Stepping Stone through the downtown, got our pass from John, and when the crowds subsided, moved the car into the parking deck for the weekend.

The room was spacious, with a bed big enough for two sleepers who are prone to flopping around, plus a few more pieces of furniture. A cot was there for us in case I landed myself in the doghouse, but it remained folded in the corner, right next to the antique rocking chair and the large mirror dresser. A small television was provided, but we never turned it on. There was enough to do in Salem at all hours of the day and night to better capture our attention.

The bathroom which locked with a key was ours alone. It was not attached to the room, but just a short walk down the hall. While I was in the hallway accessing the bathroom, I noticed that our neighbors were kind of loud and rowdy. However, their noise never bothered us in the room. The din from the street was expected, as Salem is very lively this time of year: in fact, that's why we came in the first place. But even that noise subsided by the time we were ready for bed. They don't call it a sleepy New England town for nothing!

Salem is very kitschy and thrives on its tourism. As travelers who appreciate the history of a place as much as the experience of being a tourist, we were slightly disappointed to learn that many historical buildings and structures have been lost or converted to modern dwellings. However, there is no shortage of people who can tell a good story in Salem. We enjoyed the Hocus Pocus tour, which focused on a famous tale of murder that took place in Salem, the various places around the city that were filmed for TV and movies, and, of course, the important sites relevant to the 1692 witch trials. It's pretty easy to run a self-guided run of the town just by stopping into the visitor's center and getting a map, buying a couple of tickets, and making some reservations. The streets are actually marked with a fading red line -- just like Boston's freedom trail, but less well maintained -- that takes you past museums, graveyards, and houses from the 17th century.

Anyway, here's a final, personal story: in the midst of all this adventure and excitement, it began to rain. Hard. Little did my partner know about my plans to propose that evening. Instead of making it down to the Lobster Shanty, which for some reason I thought would be the BEST place to get engaged, we were diverted to The Village Tavern, a new joint where there was only space at the bar, thanks to the sudden downpour, to get some food and dry off. Soaking wet, I looked at my equally soaking wet, beautiful girlfriend and asked her if this was a memory she'd like to keep forever. Without thinking much about it, she smiled and said sure, probably trying to make the most of our sodden situation. With that, I put the small box in front of her and asked her to marry me as she opened it. "Of course I'll marry you!" she said with shock, and sealing it with a kiss and a toast, we got engaged in Salem, MA. Even though by the time we left Village Tavern it had stopped raining, we cast aside our plans to go on a ghost hunt and trekked back to the B&B to call our friends and family instead. Indeed, memories made at the Stepping Stone Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank neurohr-pierpaoli

It was a great experience I had sharing your great day and stay here at the Inn. I wish you both many years of happy ness in the future. It was a pleasure to have you here and look forward to another time when you can return to Salem Happy Holidays and God Bless John

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Our first impression on arrival was one of feeling at home.The moment you walk in you feel comfortable. John is a very thoughtful and gracious host, he even helped carry our luggage all the way to the 3rd floor room. You are right in the middle of everything and can walk anywhere you need to go,John was also very helpful with directing us to the best local restaurants,and how to get to the train,which can be confusing if you"ve never used the train system. The room was immaculate and very comfortable. The breakfast was very good and John went above and beyond to be sure everyone was happy and full before starting their day. We met some very nice people while having our breakfast and enjoyed chatting over the morning coffee. Bridget the queen cat was a gracious host as well. If I am able to come to Salem again I will make Stepping Stone Inn the place to stay,because it's not some big commercial B&B, it's Johns home, and he goes out of his way to make you feel that you are home. The only thing I found to be less than stellar was the bed, it was A little to firm for my taste,but that being said, one"s own bed is always more comfortable isn't it? Overall, the location, the service, the warm home like feeling of Stepping Stone Inn was perfect,would definitely stay here again. Thanks John and Bridget for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

thank you for taking the time to tell of your stay with me at the Stepping Stone Inn. It is always a pleasure to have you and to know that your stay was a excellent one. Thank you again and want to wish you a very Happy Holiday season Thanks again John

Reviewed 24 October 2012

John was an amazingly personable host. You can literally walk out the door and your in the center of everything. The Salem Witch Museum is immediately to your left. A short walk to the parking garage where your car is housed. Super close, clean and friendly. We located a secret hole in the floor in the 3rd floor room with 2 queen beds, was so cool to read and see all that past guests have let behind. Would highly recommend to anyone visiting Salem. Just remember to byo bath supplies.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GuitarJoe
Reviewed 20 October 2012

My fiancee and I went down to salem for some halloween fun right at the start of october.
The location is beyond perfect for everything in salem, we walked everywhere and the only time I thought I should have drove is when we went down to the salem willow's arcade.
few things about the place/owner:
1) perfectly clean, I actually went around to all the nooks and crannies to find dirt and couldn't
2) the owner has been doing this for 21 years and has 17 years of hotel experience before it
3) the free passes to the salem witch museum made it so we didnt waste $18 on it (cheesy but worth it if free)
If I had to say one negative thing about it though, it is the breakfast. His service and care for the people staying is uncanny, but the options for food left us desiring more.
breakfast had; hardboiled eggs, cereals, coffee, pastries, orange juice, and fresh cut fruit. I would have liked to see a hot food option. Even just oatmeal or scrambled eggs.

All in all great place, and when we next go to salem we will deffinately stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mitchell W
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I traveled to Salem last week and spent a few nights at The Stepping Stone Inn. The house is beautifully maintained and the room was cozy and comfortable. John (owner) was very pleasant. He made us feel as if we were family staying in his home. He went beyond the typical "Continental Breakfast" with juices, coffee, freshly made breads, cheese, cereals (several kinds) and hard boiled eggs. Definitely NOT the usual stale doughnut from the chain hotels! The location was superb, everything within walking distance. Yes, he has a sweet cat that lives with him, ( I only saw her once in the 2 days we were there) and he is very up front about owning Bridget on his website. When we go back to Salem in the future, The Stepping Stone Inn will be our ONLY choice. Thank you, John, for adding charm to our Salem getaway.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My boyfriend and I made our first trip to Salem last week. This was my first stay at a B & B. This one was homey and inviting. It was like staying at home. Our room was a nice size with lots of light. Even though our bathroom was not inside the room, it was not an issue to step outside the room to get to it. John, the owner, was a great host. He made us feel very welcome and was always cheerful. When asked, he would give us ideas on restaurants in the area to try.

I looked here before booking this inn, to make sure we stayed in a place that was worth the money we were paying. I saw a few people had issues with the continental breakfast. Not sure what you were expecting, but a continental breakfast is prepackaged food with maybe coffee and juice. John bakes different types of bread for breakfast, which he doesn't have to do. We were happy with the breakfast.

We were very happy with our stay. John thank you for a beautiful place to stay while we visited Salem. When we visit again, we will definitely stay at your inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Just wanted to say thank for clearing lup what some people think a Cont breakfast is and that I follow the rules set forth my the Salem Health Dept. Your room is a front and many people like the room and love the view. I always tell in advance about the private bath not being in the room ... There fore there are no surprise s .. Thanks again and look forward to seeing you soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Stepping Stone Inn? Share your experiences!