“Camping and beaches out of the way”
Review of Winter Island Park

Winter Island Park
Ranked #22 of 78 things to do in Salem
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Camping and beaches out of the way”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

A fun little campground with quiet beaches. I need to spend some more time here and update the review accordingly, but it seems like it could be a great place for a group to camp. Field for tents, a pergola and hall for gatherings, and some funky old military buildings for intrigue. Maybe not a stop to put at the top of a visitor itinerary, but if you are exploring the nooks and crannies of Salem or want to stay somewhere in a tent that is not too far from the action, then you should definitely come here.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Benjamin L

Long Sault, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed here mid-October 2013. We had a great first vacation long weekend here. It was easy to get to, easy to get reservations, and the weather held our for us. We didn't expect to do so much exploring at the campsite itself, and instead of only using it for a place to sleep while we traveled, we spent a lot of time walking around, enjoying the bunkers, and hanging on the beach. We hope to go back next year too!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Manda H
Florida
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Great if you aren't expecting Lux”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is a public camp, no doubt about it. It's an excellent location right on the outskirts of downtown Salem. It's an old Coast Guard station that has been brought back to life and made into a park. There are great rocky shores with tidal pools to explore, an old lighthouse, a civil war bunker and a nice sandy beach... so lots to explore. The camping spots on the water are literally in the parking lot. We have spot 12 which directly overlooks the sound. But it's in the parking lot. We are fine with it but I can see how some people wouldn't like that. Google earth the facility and you will see. There are also spots scattered around and up the hill in a field. There is a nice playground and plenty to do. No clubhouse, the store is sparse and the staff goes about their business. We used this camp to explore Salem, Gloucester and Boston.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank FulltimeTraveler131
Chester County, PA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not too shabby!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We brought our 5th wheel to Winter Island RV park and stayed in Site No. 55. The surrounding grounds are beautiful. Short walk to Waikiki Beach, beautiful harbor view, bathrooms are clean. Site 55 is in the field kind of off by itself. The other RVers were all in a big huddled group and I really enjoyed our 'private' spot. No sewer hookup but the dump station is on the property next door and very easy in/easy out.

Two complaints: the young girl working in the office was absolutely miserable and it reflected in her attitude towards any questions we had for the facility. Second complaint is the amount of broken glass and fishing hooks, debris, etc that is hiding in the grass almost everywhere we walked. We probably wouldn't have noticed it except we have two 4-month-old puppies who put everything in their mouths and they kept picking up all the 'shiny' things (glass, metal, bottle caps). If you use the park as your home base for Salem activities and the beach, etc, I would recommend this place. If you're looking to camp in a luxury state park, pass on this one.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank LSte606
Oak Park, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Trip here was ruined by teenaged runners.”
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This is a very pretty spot but when I went during the week in October, some high school running club was having a race throughout the ENTIRE park. There was nowhere I could go where I was not in danger of being trampled by the teens, or yelled out to get out of the way by their cheering crew. After about 20 minutes of wandering around looking for a place to sit and enjoy the view, I got back in my car and drove out of the park. Luckily, after explaining what had happened, I was able to get my entry fee back.

Visited October 2012