“Loved the coffee!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2007

My wife and I, together with my parents, stayed at the Morning Glory B&B for 2 nights during our 3 week trip across the N-E US.

If you want to visit the Boston area, you'll spend at least as much on an anonymous hotel in Boston, as you would on a B&B in Salem.

And as far as B&B's go, you can't get any better than the Morning Glory.

We have stayed in several B&B's, and found the Morning Glory absolutely delightful.

The B&B is very conveniently located, only about a 5 minute walk from the ferry to Boston (which takes about 45 minutes, and is much more fun than the 30 minute train ride), and about a 10 minute pleasant walk through historic Salem to shops and restaurants.

We stayed in the Rebecca Nurse room, my parents in the Elizabeth Howe room, and both rooms are beautiful: clean, well appointed, and very homely and cozy.

The bathroom was very clean and well kept, and we both loved the big soft fluffy towels, which were replaced every day.

The common room is also very lovely, and the option of using the internet is very nice to have. In the common room there is a book with all the local restaurants in it, with a map (of which you can take a copy) and menu's of those restaurants. There are also brochures and other maps of Salem and surrounding area available.

The breakfast was wonderful: Bob's mom does a fantastic job with baking cakes, muffins, etc.
And, since we are from Europe, we loved the stronger coffee. Like Bob said: you can make stronger coffee weak, but you can't make weak coffee stronger!

Bob just couldn't be any nicer, friendlier and more helpful.

There was only one thing we truly disliked, and that was having to leave...
We can't wait to come back and stay with Bob for Halloween!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 June 2007

We had a great experience at the Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast where we stayed for a week and attended out daughters graduation. The house and rooms are wonderfully deocrated in old time country fashion. We felt instantly at home. Bob went out of his way to give us directions and to let us know about the local attractions. It is in a very nice convenient location right across from the House of Seven Gables. The room was spacious, very clean and deocrated beautifully. Every day we had lush fresh towels and our room was picked up even though we said it wasn't necessary. The breakfast was casual and there when we were ready for it. The common rooms were very inviting and we enjoyed exchanging stories with the other guests. Bob always made himself available for questions and we truly enjoyed conversing with him. His wife Maryanne is also very nice, unfortunately she fell and broke her wrist while we were staying there and didn't get to see much of her. We did however get to meet their daughters because of this who came over to pitch in. I highly recommend the Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast for anyone visiting Salem who would like a quite peaceful stay in a house with wonderful people. By the time we were ready to leave we felt like one of the family.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2007

We have just spent a magnificant three days at the Morning Glory, Salem, MA. This was our third time at this Bed & Breakfast and since my husband and I enjoy Salem we plan to spend every visit at the Morning Glory. We have stayed at other Bed & Breakfasts in Salem and the Morning Glory is by far the most accomadating for us, not to mention the cleanest. The view from the third floor deck is so serene and tranquil. If you are looking for a small and personal place to stay here in Salem, MA the Morning Glory in our opinion is the nicest. It is located across the street from The House of the Seven Gables and right up the road from Pickering Wharf. I might also like to mention that Bob Shea, the owner and most gracious host, could not be more helpful this past stay. We needed directions to a beach in Rockport and he mapped out directions for us. We will be looking forward to our next stay at this beautiful Bed & Breakfast.

Bill and Kathy Smith
Swarthmore, PA

Reviewed 10 June 2007

Being the first B & B I have stayed in, it was a wonderful experience. The house was warm and inviting and the veiw of the harbor from the upper deck was beautiful. Near the ferry if you wanted to go into Boston. The rooms were charming and confortable. I'm not sure of the name of the bed pillows that Bob uses in his B & B but it was like melting into butter. I would recommend to anyone going to Salem.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2007

My husband and I have stayed in many B&Bs around the country and Morning Glory was by far the cleanest, most modern (i.e., excellent bathroom with luxury towels, flat screen TV in room (albeit small screen), computer w/internet in common area, fresh hardwood floors, etc.), and big closet - all with just the right amount of homey/crafty touches to make it quaint in a tasteful way. We stayed in the Elizabeth Howe room which has its own private entrance and large porch (well-lit at night with beautiful and peaceful views of the water) - fantastic!

It so happened that during our 5-night stay, Bob, the proprietor was himself away on vacation, so Bob Shea Sr. was in charge and he was a delight, always helpful and friendly.

Don't expect a big cooked breakfast, but the lovingly appointed dining room with a selection of cereals, fresh fruits, juice, coffee, and homemade cakes were fine to start the day.

The location also couldn't be beat. It's on a quiet dead-end street (across from the House of Seven Gables), yet walking distance to historical sites, attractions, restaurants, and shopping. We barely used our car in the entire time we were there, although we made the worthwhile trip to Gloucester and Rockport while we were so close by.

Look no further than this place for your trip to Salem. We had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2007

I am originally from the Salem area and just needed a local base to operate from for a brief weekend home. This was a convenient and welcoming option. I arrived late in the evening and my key was left for me although the substitute innkeeper, Bob Sr., was still there to greet me and help me with my luggage. I stayed in the Bridget Bishop room which was comfortable and plenty roomy for 1-2 people. TV in room (but house rule is no TV after 11pm and not before 8am), dresser and closet. Private bathroom with powerful shower. Could control your own heat which I thought was WONDEFUL since it was an unseasonably cold weekend. Down bedding helped too. Personal A/C in the room too. Ample parking area at the B&B is a great bonus since parking in Salem can be a pain since many streets are limited to resident parking only.

Bob offered to drive me to the local train station and pick me up when I decided to go into boston. Although I rented a car, this was easier since parking in Boston can be hard or expensive or both. Train ticket from Salem was $10 RT offpeak. Bob was also helpful with driving directions (a lot of 1 way streets in Salem can be challenging).

There is no hot breakfast served (which I thought was unusual for a B&B) but delicious homemade baked goods, cereal and fruit are offered. Access to the kitchen is allowed so I could make a cup of bedtime tea and grab an apple off the counter which was nice. There is a small refrigerator and microwave in the common room for guests to use.

The price for the B&B was less than local hotels I priced and was a much nicer experience. Salem is convenient for getting into Boston (1/2 hour train ride) and for touring around the North Shore generally. House is situated in the historic district and for those coming to Salem for that, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We really enjoyed our stay. The view was great, loved just sitting out on the porch. Our bed was a little hard and thought we should have more than cereal and coffee cake for breakfast. Bob was a great host and we would go back, but would ask for a better bed!

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank loupSchertz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!