“Terrific first B&B experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Bethlehem, Pa
“Terrific first B&B experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2007

I found this wonderful place right here on tripadvisor. After reading the reviews and checking out the site directly, I was sold! Both my boyfriend and I were a bit nervous about staying in a B&B, but I wanted to do the Salem experience right. I contacted Bob through email and made our reservations. We stayed in the Bridget Bishop room. It's the only room on his site without a picture, so I was a bit nervous.

We got there in the afternoon and Bob was there to greet us....so nice, so friendly. He showed us around a bit and then took us to the room. Let me say that the place looks just like the pics. Even better, in fact. Beautiful and picturesque inside and out!!! Easy to find, as well. Our room was adorable. I think it's the smallest of the 4, but did us just fine :) The bathroom was spacious and had everything you could need....hairdryer, lush towels, plenty of shelves for your things. The room had a tv/dvd, a/c unit, ceiling fan and lots of drawer and closet space. I was in heaven!! Just outside our room was the common living room with a microfridge (great for drinks and leftovers), a computer/printer and coffeemaker. There were also lots of brochures and a great book with all the nearby restaurants with their menus. We had our choice of entrances as well. There's the front door downstairs, then there's the side entrance just off the common room. That led to the second story deck, then from there you could go up to the great roof deck or down to the parking lot and patio area. Lots of places to have some wine and drinks and play cards :)

I was surprised to get fresh towels each day and a newly made bed. Bob was so great!! We only took advantage of the breakfast once only because of our schedule. We actually ate in our room. It was nice. We stayed 3 nights and packed alot in. I definitely recommend going in to Boston for a day. We took the ferry which was only 2 blocks away. In Boston we did the aquarium whale watch (AMAZING) and the aquarium. We also did the trolley ride throughout the city and ate in Quincy Market at Cheers. It was a really nice day. In Salem, I recommend Salem Beer Works (great micro-brewery), the Salem Trolley, House of Seven Gables (beautiful), Capt's Restaurant (sit outside if possible), JAHO coffee house .....all within walking distance. Truly, you can walk EVERYWHERE. It was really convenient. We even walked down to Salem Willows Park. It's about a mile from the B&B and is a great place for kids and adults. There's a beach and an arcade and places to eat and sit and enjoy!

On our last day, we checked out at 11am, but still wanted to do some shopping. Bob was nice enough to let us keep our car there as long as we liked. We will definitely be going back. Honestly, if you've never been to a B&B, this is a great starting off point. Great service, but lots of privacy. We met some fun guests next door and had some laughs and traded some Salem stories.......beware of the drivers!!!! ;)

• Liked — cleanliness, location, great service
  • Disliked — not a thing
1 Thank silverlux33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2007

If you are thinking of Salem then you have to stay at this B+B! Bob made us so welcome, everything was so friendly. The room was excellent, facilities excellent and break fast excellent. I thoroghly recommend this to all!

• Liked — The rooms were fantastic
  • Disliked — nothing!
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2007

I can't say enough about the Morning Glory, it was very cozy with a home like feeling. Great views of the harbor, nice rooms, loved the decks, very clean. Bob is the best, my sister wasn't feeling well one night, so he ran down to Walgreen's and got her some stomach relief. We met three nice couples, one of them we hung out with for a while on the 2nd floor deck, they know me as Dental Diva. I can see why this is rated #1 in Salem. I would stay here again, its worth every penney. I also enjoyed meeting Bob Sr. He is a character. IF your going to Salem, I would highly recommend making a reservation in this B&B. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — The views of the harbor, and the innkeeper.
  • Disliked — NA
1 Thank libbylouMichigan
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2007

We stayed at the Morning Glory way back in May of 1999 and I must say that it was the best B&B we have ever stayed at to date. The house was absolutely immaculate. We stayed in the Joey room as it was called at the time, now I believe it is the Elizabeth Howe room. Bob's father was fantastic and he offered us wonderful advice as to where to eat and what sights to see. He also greeted us when we returned and had a sincere interest in how our day was. It was a most memorable experience and I will definitely return in the future.

• Liked — Friendly, Knowledgeable, Immaculate
  • Disliked — Nothing, I love it!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Heerlen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2007

My wife and I, together with my parents, stayed at the Morning Glory B&B for 2 nights during our 3 week trip across the N-E US.

If you want to visit the Boston area, you'll spend at least as much on an anonymous hotel in Boston, as you would on a B&B in Salem.

And as far as B&B's go, you can't get any better than the Morning Glory.

We have stayed in several B&B's, and found the Morning Glory absolutely delightful.

The B&B is very conveniently located, only about a 5 minute walk from the ferry to Boston (which takes about 45 minutes, and is much more fun than the 30 minute train ride), and about a 10 minute pleasant walk through historic Salem to shops and restaurants.

We stayed in the Rebecca Nurse room, my parents in the Elizabeth Howe room, and both rooms are beautiful: clean, well appointed, and very homely and cozy.

The bathroom was very clean and well kept, and we both loved the big soft fluffy towels, which were replaced every day.

The common room is also very lovely, and the option of using the internet is very nice to have. In the common room there is a book with all the local restaurants in it, with a map (of which you can take a copy) and menu's of those restaurants. There are also brochures and other maps of Salem and surrounding area available.

The breakfast was wonderful: Bob's mom does a fantastic job with baking cakes, muffins, etc.
And, since we are from Europe, we loved the stronger coffee. Like Bob said: you can make stronger coffee weak, but you can't make weak coffee stronger!

Bob just couldn't be any nicer, friendlier and more helpful.

There was only one thing we truly disliked, and that was having to leave...
We can't wait to come back and stay with Bob for Halloween!

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, coziness & Bob!
  • Disliked — Leaving...
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2007

We had a great experience at the Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast where we stayed for a week and attended out daughters graduation. The house and rooms are wonderfully deocrated in old time country fashion. We felt instantly at home. Bob went out of his way to give us directions and to let us know about the local attractions. It is in a very nice convenient location right across from the House of Seven Gables. The room was spacious, very clean and deocrated beautifully. Every day we had lush fresh towels and our room was picked up even though we said it wasn't necessary. The breakfast was casual and there when we were ready for it. The common rooms were very inviting and we enjoyed exchanging stories with the other guests. Bob always made himself available for questions and we truly enjoyed conversing with him. His wife Maryanne is also very nice, unfortunately she fell and broke her wrist while we were staying there and didn't get to see much of her. We did however get to meet their daughters because of this who came over to pitch in. I highly recommend the Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast for anyone visiting Salem who would like a quite peaceful stay in a house with wonderful people. By the time we were ready to leave we felt like one of the family.

• Liked — The way the room was deocrated
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Swarthmore, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2007

We have just spent a magnificant three days at the Morning Glory, Salem, MA. This was our third time at this Bed & Breakfast and since my husband and I enjoy Salem we plan to spend every visit at the Morning Glory. We have stayed at other Bed & Breakfasts in Salem and the Morning Glory is by far the most accomadating for us, not to mention the cleanest. The view from the third floor deck is so serene and tranquil. If you are looking for a small and personal place to stay here in Salem, MA the Morning Glory in our opinion is the nicest. It is located across the street from The House of the Seven Gables and right up the road from Pickering Wharf. I might also like to mention that Bob Shea, the owner and most gracious host, could not be more helpful this past stay. We needed directions to a beach in Rockport and he mapped out directions for us. We will be looking forward to our next stay at this beautiful Bed & Breakfast.

Bill and Kathy Smith
Swarthmore, PA

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Morning Glory Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!