“Very scary place to eat”

Nicks Firehouse Coffee Shop
Ranked #6 of 19 Coffee & Tea in Salem
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After reading reviews of this place, I’m totally convinced that the majority of reviewers are under the spell of Salem’s famous witches! 4 stars??? You have got to be kidding me!!! People: cheap food does not, I repeat, does not, mean good food.

We found this place off the beaten path and thought we’d give it a try for a quick bite before we continued our journey up the coast. It is very unassuming, and that’s OK. The “décor” (and I use that term loosely) is fire-related, as you would expect. But not a great deal of thought went into it. Bits here & there. The fake hanging plants have even all died (really!) and I think all of the tables have been around since the witch trials – every single one was missing all or part of the Formica edging.

Now, if you want to experience something really scary in Salem, ask to use the restroom at Nick’s. You have to wander back through the kitchen, around the storage, and find the correct door. At least it was clean, I'll give them tat.

The guy who took our order gave us the impression he really didn’t want to be there – not a smile crossed his face once. We ordered a burger and a bowl of chili, so we weren’t big spenders, but hey, we were the only customers in the place!

Definitely wouldn’t recommend this place at all. I can't understand how in the world it stays in business.

1  Thank SmallWonderAZ

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This place was recommended from a tour guide the night before and wow are we glad we found it. Very good breakfast at fair prices in a classic setting. This is were the locals eat and we felt right at home thanks to the server. Would definitely return!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

If you get to Salem on a rainy Sunday morning, before anything else is open, then head to Nicks Firehouse Coffee Shop. In fact, head there any time.
The food was good, and value for money, and the staff were very welcoming.
Well worth a visit.

1  Thank SAHEJBMR
Reviewed 6 June 2013

So glad they serve breakfast all day, since I don't always get there in the morning!!! Hard call though, since the lunches are just as fabulous!!! Friendly atmosphere, great food... We are definitely regulars!!!

1  Thank Llaz
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Not only does Nick's have good breakfasts, every day is a different lunch special. Frequently we go on Monday for the turkey dinner. And his prices are reasonable.