“Fish is best”

Ranked #8 of 238 Restaurants in Salem
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Wood-burning fireplace in a cozy wood-paneled room overlooking Salem Common, the Tavern on the Green serves a varied menu with daily specials from 11 am to 11 pm. Open 360 days a year, on the occasions of our Grand Buffet (Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas,) as well as on our huge Halloween party, we only offer those special events. Soups, salads, appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, pasta dishes and entrees, yummy desserts, draft beer, wines by the glass and bottle, custom cocktails, children's menu -- we offer something for everyone.
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I specifically went to Tavern on Green since it was number one on trip-advisor. Not to my disappointment, they are really good. The service was excellent, very attentive staffs they have there. My Fish entree was really really nice. Nice and quite restaurant so you can just sit back and relax.

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Tavern on the Green, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear TheNayzer,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne’s pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green. I’m pleased that you enjoyed dining with us, and that you found fellow TripAdvisor reviewers to be on the nose about our great menu and friendly staff. I will be certain to pass along your warm compliments to our team.

We agree that the Tavern’s cozy atmosphere and large, welcoming wingback chairs make for a quiet and comfortable place to relax and enjoy a drink or a bite to eat.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Fidelia Bridges guest house for two nights at the Hawthorne Hotel. At at "The Tavern" for each lunch and dinner/dessert with my family. EVERYTHING we ordered was fantastic. Our waitress, Tess, is no doubt the best waitress/server we've ever encountered. She took care of us like we were friends and family and is probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. She deserves a promotion or raise or something. Coffee was great, beer was great. It's a very comfortable environment! Open 11-11 so there's even time to eat their delicious desserts! (Tess recommends the chocolate roulade and man she was right!). Highly recommend this little restaurant, and of course the hotel.

1  Thank Sarah M
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Tavern on the Green, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Sarah M,

Thank you for your review of Tavern on the Green. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed dining with us. We can ask for no greater compliment than a guest who so enjoyed their meal that they came back to us several times during their stay!

We take great pride in providing our guests not only with delicious food and excellent service, but also with a cozy, unique atmosphere in which to relax and enjoy their time with us. I’m pleased that we hit the mark on all counts.

Our staff members receive special recognition when they are mentioned on a comment card or in a TripAdvisor review. I’m sure that Tess will be pleased with your comments, and so we’ll be sure to pass your kind words along to her.

Thank you again for your lovely feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Good food, comfortable atmosphere and an attentive staff make this casual dining spot a must for tourists and locals alike.

Dear iznelav7,

Thank you for your review of Tavern on the Green, the Hawthorne Hotel’s pub-style restaurant. I’m pleased that you enjoyed dining with us, and appreciate you touching on all the points that we believe make our restaurants so wonderful: a delicious menu, friendly, welcoming service, and a great atmosphere to enjoy it all in.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Tavern on the Green is a restaurant that one should not miss when visiting Salem. Many locals visit this restaurant/pub time and time again. So this speaks for itself. If the locals return it must be good. I feel it is very reasonable and not over priced. The atmosphere is unique. It is historic and very unique from other local restaurants in Salem. They have great New England chowders, fish dishes and great burgers. I love their salads. I love their Cranberry chicken salad. Its is filled with cranberries, walnuts tomatoes and mixed greens. I love their balsamic dressing but they have other choices too. The service is superb. You are not rushed but they do pay attention to your needs. They pay careful attention to any dietary issues you may have with no problem. I am a local and this is where I bring my friends when they are visiting me from afar or when I and my local friends just want a nice relaxing meal.

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Tavern on the Green, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Jacqui D,

Thank you for your lovely review of Tavern on the Green, the Hawthorne’s casual dining restaurant. To return to dine with us time and again is a true compliment indeed, and we appreciate all the kind words you have for our excellent staff and delicious menu. I will be certain to pass along your kind comments to our service team and to our Chef.

Thank you for also including so many wonderful dining recommendations. For fellow TripAdvisor readers who may not be as familiar with the Hawthorne and our restaurants as you are, having specific recommendations such as these truly helps to understand what we offer.

We hope to welcome you and your friends back again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The staff were so quick, and efficient. Food was really good! I had the club sandwich, it was good and well made!

1  Thank Judy D

Dear charleydog78,

Thank you for your concise review of Tavern on the Green. I’m pleased you enjoyed dining with us, and appreciate you offering fellow TripAdvisor readers a specific menu recommendation. I’m certain they will find this helpful!

We hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Tavern on the Green? Share your experiences!