“Wow, just Wow” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
New York
“Wow, just Wow”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed there a while ago and have just gotten around to writing a review. So here goes nothing. Let me first set the scene. My sister and I booked a suite for our first time stay in Salem. After driving 6 hours in traffic the GPS informed us that we had reached our destination. Really that little electronic female voice must be lying. This is a building with the roof partially covered in a tarp. It looks more like temporary housing for the homeless than a functioning inn. We walked into the cluttered and dirty reception area and after 10 minutes of listening to the woman behind the desk talk on the phone without acknowledging us we were finally addressed. During that 10 minutes I was at least able to get my expression under control because if she had helped us right away I don’t know if I could have looked at her with a straight face while she was wearing that neon blue velour sweat suit. As momma always taught us we smiled and asked to check in. It only went downhill from there. We were informed that we could not have the suite I explained that we had booked two months in advance and was told that other people needed it more since there were more people in their party. I asked if that meant they were paying more. She said it didn’t matter we were just 2 people and did not need the two bedroom suite. Well I have had hotels upgrade me but to be downgraded this was a first. No offence but I didn’t like to sleep in the same room as my sister when we were kids and being adults has not changed that. I inquired why they did not contact us in advance if they knew this was going to happen to which she replied “there is only one room take it or leave it” then she added with a smile good luck finding another room in Salem everything’s been booked for months. We checked in further without incident and made our way to our room. There were stains on the carpet and the door did not lock properly. There was no chain or bar lock to go across so after an unsuccessful call to the front desk, not that I held out much hope when the phone rang was on the 12th ring and no one had yet answered, we just propped the chair up against it. The room was dirty and had a lingering smell that we could not, not that I am sure that I would have wanted to know even if I could, figure out. I ended up sleeping on top of the blanket in my clothes using my sweatshirt as a pillow. If we hadn't driven 6 hours to get to Salem I probably would have just turned around and gone home. Ruining a trip does not even begin to explain this place. I travel extensively and have never had a hotel experience quite like this one. Do yourself a favor and book somewhere else. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Caroline R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We try to visit Salem every year for the Bizarre Bazaar and this year we made our reservations a wee bit late so our choices were limited. We did, however, find a two room suite available at the Clipper Ship Inn. It was a little farther from downtown Salem than we are accustomed to, but the walk was fine. The rooms were clean and it was nice having a well stocked Keurig coffee maker! The beds were a little less than comfortable but all in all we had a very pleasant stay. Loved the company of the cat as well!

Room Tip: Definitely call ahead to check to see if pets are welcome. We were told that in the month of Octobe...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in Salem and we enjoyed our stay at the clipper ship inn, we were greeted at the front desk by a friendly woman and salem the black cat. Our room was spacious, warm and clean. There was a Kurig stocked with all coffee flavors, and we received gift cards for the dunkin donuts across the street. This inn was close to everything about a 15 min walk into town which is very scenic or a 6 dollar cab ride. We will be booking next years stay at the clipper ship!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank JaquelynG
Studio City, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

It was a decent place to stay in Salem just wish it was a little closer to the center of town but otherwise it was a great place to stay. Office staff was lovely and couldn't have been nicer.

Great deal for a place in Salem.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Sun Valley, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We planned our Salem "Haunted Happenings" trip late in the year so when it came time to book a room, we had very little choice. Either stay in a hotel in another nearby town or stay at the Clipper Ship in the heart of Salem. We chose to stay centrally located in Salem. The location is perfect for those of you who don't rent a car as it is fairly close to downtown Salem. If you are looking for luxurious ameneties, the Clipper Ship is not for you. Simple, yet clean rooms; ordinary decor with the bare minimums and just very old-fashioned. The staff, however, is VERY friendly and accommodating and they went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Beautiful grounds and surroundings and the house cat "Salem" will be there to greet you upon your arrival!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Coronado California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a one bedroom - with living room, microwave, small refer, second sink, sofa bed - large rooms , clean with basic furnishings and bath with tub and extra towels..there is a coffee pot with individual cup dispenser and variety of coffee choices, helpful staff and professional. We walked the half mile to Visitor Center and took Trolley city tour- no need to drive. WI FI at hotel was slow, Dunkin Doughnuts across the street with WI FI. Another Italian restaurant next door- also Yoga studio there. We were returning rental car to Boston airport and Front desk gave us better directions than Mapquest. This is a family owned business and personal attention. There is a train near, but we did not hear any sounds of train. Very quiet and we were on second floor-

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank sunshinevalues
Bedford,Qc.,Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We got a very clean large room with microwave, fridge, table, chairs and a couch for a great price all within a few minutes of the visitors center and all the Salem attractions. Check here before you go anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie647
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Extended Stay America - Boston - Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody

Been to Clipper Ship Inn? Share your experiences!