“A fantastic stay in Salem”
Review of Clipper Ship Inn

Clipper Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My friend and I decided to take an impromptu trip across the North East with basically no prior planning. We knew that we wanted to stay in Salem for the night and then ride into Boston on the train. Our first choice for the night was the Hawthorne Hotel, but it was booked so we decided to take a chance on the Clipper Ship, and we weren't disappointed. When we pulled up we were greeted by the resident black cat of the Clipper Ship, but fortunately no bad luck followed us. The staff was courteous and more than helpful. They provided us with information including the train schedule into and out of Boston as well as the number for the local taxi. The rooms were comfortable, and everything was in clean working order. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel that will primp and pamper you look elsewhere, but if you're just an average person looking for a warm, comfortable, and friendly place to stay a couple of nights then the Clipper Ship Inn is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy C

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The place is not as bad as the bad reviews but it is not as good as the good reviews either. We were just there this past October. I already made my reservations for Salem for next year at the Salem Waterfront Inn. It's twice as much but so worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have stayed in Salem quite a few times prior to my stay at the Clipper Ship Inn, always at one of the hotels/inns in the center of town. For the money I saved staying at the Clipper, and the short 3 minute drive to town....I will stay there again hands down next time I visit Salem. The staff was friendly and attentive, always making sure my stay was a pleasant one. Thanks Clipper Ship!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank 1Sybil
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here during a Salem State orientation. The location was good, the room was large, actually two rooms, and clean. The whole place is rather dated, especially for the price that was charged. It was a very forgettable stay, no big complaints and no big accolades!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pwb6769
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

We come to Salem every October for my birthday, which is crazy to find rooms at a good price, if at all. Stayed the weekend, inn was quaint, very helpful front desk, room was very nice, clean and accommodating! No breakfast on site, but they give you Dunkin Donut gift cards, which I'd prefer ;) The inn is about 1/8th mile from Salem, easy walk, which is nice to get away a little. Most places ask for a 3 day minimum, but this inn only required 2, nice for a weekend :) All in all very satisfied, would recommend and stay again, might be my place for next year!! :)

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank oceansize_421
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed there a while ago and have just gotten around to writing a review. So here goes nothing. Let me first set the scene. My sister and I booked a suite for our first time stay in Salem. After driving 6 hours in traffic the GPS informed us that we had reached our destination. Really that little electronic female voice must be lying. This is a building with the roof partially covered in a tarp. It looks more like temporary housing for the homeless than a functioning inn. We walked into the cluttered and dirty reception area and after 10 minutes of listening to the woman behind the desk talk on the phone without acknowledging us we were finally addressed. During that 10 minutes I was at least able to get my expression under control because if she had helped us right away I don’t know if I could have looked at her with a straight face while she was wearing that neon blue velour sweat suit. As momma always taught us we smiled and asked to check in. It only went downhill from there. We were informed that we could not have the suite I explained that we had booked two months in advance and was told that other people needed it more since there were more people in their party. I asked if that meant they were paying more. She said it didn’t matter we were just 2 people and did not need the two bedroom suite. Well I have had hotels upgrade me but to be downgraded this was a first. No offence but I didn’t like to sleep in the same room as my sister when we were kids and being adults has not changed that. I inquired why they did not contact us in advance if they knew this was going to happen to which she replied “there is only one room take it or leave it” then she added with a smile good luck finding another room in Salem everything’s been booked for months. We checked in further without incident and made our way to our room. There were stains on the carpet and the door did not lock properly. There was no chain or bar lock to go across so after an unsuccessful call to the front desk, not that I held out much hope when the phone rang was on the 12th ring and no one had yet answered, we just propped the chair up against it. The room was dirty and had a lingering smell that we could not, not that I am sure that I would have wanted to know even if I could, figure out. I ended up sleeping on top of the blanket in my clothes using my sweatshirt as a pillow. If we hadn't driven 6 hours to get to Salem I probably would have just turned around and gone home. Ruining a trip does not even begin to explain this place. I travel extensively and have never had a hotel experience quite like this one. Do yourself a favor and book somewhere else. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Caroline R
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We try to visit Salem every year for the Bizarre Bazaar and this year we made our reservations a wee bit late so our choices were limited. We did, however, find a two room suite available at the Clipper Ship Inn. It was a little farther from downtown Salem than we are accustomed to, but the walk was fine. The rooms were clean and it was nice having a well stocked Keurig coffee maker! The beds were a little less than comfortable but all in all we had a very pleasant stay. Loved the company of the cat as well!

Room Tip: Definitely call ahead to check to see if pets are welcome. We were told that in the month of Octobe...