“Not what I expected but staff is fair!”
Review of Clipper Ship Inn

Clipper Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband, son and I booked a suite for a stay for four days just before Christmas. It was comprised of two large rooms plus a large bathroom - a living/eating area and a bedroom with two beds for all three of us. It was fairly clean and the Keurig coffee machine, micro wave and frig were fine for our purposes. I would have liked at least a chain lock for the entry door to boost the inadequate security lock there and a couple of hooks or a towel rail in the bathroom would have been a convenient plus. My sister-in-law joined us for two days of the stay and although I had booked just a single room for her, Suzanne gave her a suite as well, for the single room price which I greatly appreciated. We also appreciated the Dunking Doughnuts gift cards which Suzanne gave us as well.
I think that the TV which was placed in the bedroom would have been better situated in the living area, but I guess that it a matter of opinion.
I was not impressed by the untidy reception area and a room that was next to ours which had pet hairs caked all over the window side of the curtain.
The staff were generally friendly and the general environment was a bit more casual and dated than what I have come to expect from hotels. There were some permanent residents at the inn and reception area was eventually tidied up to hold a Christmas party for them there which looked to be delightful.
There was a single storied older section, in the style of a motel of the past which seemed a little dismal. The exterior of the two storied newer building was quite tidy and clean. Both sections are situated around a park like garden which I would think could be quite beautiful in the summer time. It also made for a quiet situation surrounding the inn.
Across the street was a great pizzeria. It had a take out counter and I regret that we did not have time to eat in the restaurant section.
It would not take much to make this a better regarded establishment. A reception area should always be kept fresh and tidy to give the best first impression. The staff were friendly but I think that they could have smartened themselves up a bit to appear sharper and more business like.
Better locks on the doors, hooks or towel bars in the bathroom and while the bedding was clean,
fresh new bed linens would leave a much better impression.
I would stay there again because it was adequate. However, I think that it would be a shame to overlook an opportunity to make this a great place by being just a little less casual and a little more business-like.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Frances H

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Our priority was not paying for the Hawthorne House so we could stay two nights in Salem for an event. The lowdown on lodging in Salem is there are no chains... That I could find close to Salem proper. Most travelers are accustomed to the standards of chain lodging so when you go to something independently owned, you just never know. I booked a room with two beds and the 'suite' for our family of four. The suite was a joke... While the two beds had a door close off the living area had a table and a sofa. The TV ( ancient relic) was in the bedroom so that made no sense in the spirit of a suite. Wifi was non existent..... Incredibly weak signal only reachable from the front office. When booking I asked about breakfast . I recall hearing they had a toaster and waffle maker but don't remember them saying bring your own bread. No offers for Dunkin Cards which is where we ate. They do have in room coffee. parking was ample and everything felt safe. I feel like the upgrades were last done in the late 80's based n decor. So, it comes down to what you find important. Lodging is pricey in Salem. So you ask, do you want to pay more and feel like the service and amenities was worth it OR pay less, but still a good chunk of change, and feel like you paid a lot for not much. I did regret not researching this one better and not looking into a B and B.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PugmomNH
Reviewed 14 November 2013

stayed at the clipper ship and was very pleased large room great service was happy with how clean the place was kept. Kurig coffee was in the room. Walking distance to everything I wanted to see. Great parking. I plan on staying there again . I see someone said it was pricey at 125.00 a night. They must not travel much. I thought the price was more then fair.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara K
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We landed Salem with no reservations and this is best place we could find. Staff was friendly, the rooms were large, clean, and newly refurbished. Plus they were very accomodating of our dog. This hotel is outside town and in a nice quiet area. I think it was kind of pricey at $125 per night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StellaIsabella
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My friend and I decided to take an impromptu trip across the North East with basically no prior planning. We knew that we wanted to stay in Salem for the night and then ride into Boston on the train. Our first choice for the night was the Hawthorne Hotel, but it was booked so we decided to take a chance on the Clipper Ship, and we weren't disappointed. When we pulled up we were greeted by the resident black cat of the Clipper Ship, but fortunately no bad luck followed us. The staff was courteous and more than helpful. They provided us with information including the train schedule into and out of Boston as well as the number for the local taxi. The rooms were comfortable, and everything was in clean working order. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel that will primp and pamper you look elsewhere, but if you're just an average person looking for a warm, comfortable, and friendly place to stay a couple of nights then the Clipper Ship Inn is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy C
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The place is not as bad as the bad reviews but it is not as good as the good reviews either. We were just there this past October. I already made my reservations for Salem for next year at the Salem Waterfront Inn. It's twice as much but so worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have stayed in Salem quite a few times prior to my stay at the Clipper Ship Inn, always at one of the hotels/inns in the center of town. For the money I saved staying at the Clipper, and the short 3 minute drive to town....I will stay there again hands down next time I visit Salem. The staff was friendly and attentive, always making sure my stay was a pleasant one. Thanks Clipper Ship!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank 1Sybil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody

Been to Clipper Ship Inn? Share your experiences!