“Clean & friendly palace to stay! ”
Review of Clipper Ship Inn

Clipper Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

August 2012! We enjoyed our stay in The Clipper Ship Inn. It was a clean place to stay. The room were not modern but we enjoyed that as part of our Salem experience. I don't recall the woman at the front desks name but she was very helpful and told us the sites to go and see in the area.

Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for Clipper Ship Inn

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This is the first time staying here since they built the two level motel. I used to stay at the original part which was only one floor. I was very impressed with my room. Very clean and spacious for a family of four. We were surprised at having a pullout couch so both our sons had their own comfortable bed. Great stay at a great price. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is a good, clean place with reasonable prices. Probably your best value there is in Salem. It's nothing fancy however your service is wonderful and you will enjoy your stay. Just be sure that when you are reserving the room you ask for the new building. Much nicer than the older rooms. Have a good stay and enjoy Salem. It's a very cool place to visit.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 13 August 2014

One of the people tried to charge us 25$ for arriving late and tried to force us into a double room but ended up giving it to us for free because she wanted the queen room for another event. She did give us directions and a map which was very useful.

The room was large, we had a table with chairs, an old TV, there were plenty of towels and everything was clean. The beds weren't overly comfortable and squeaked a bit. For the price and everything I'd stay there again though because it was convienently placed and clean.

No, it isn't in downtown Salem but it is within walking distance (probably 1 mile).

Room Tip: Right side building rooms are a lot nicer. The double bed rooms are a ton bigger and worth the upgra...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmandaStarG
Reviewed 10 August 2014

And the reason is if you are traveling with a large party and you want to cram into one room to save money in Salem. This motel is extremely outdated, the beds are clean but not soft. There was a dirty wash cloth and towel left in the bathroom when we arrived. And it is not as close as they say it is to attractions in Downtown Salem. The price in August was $150 a night. This is a rip-off, especially for just two people. They either need to renovate and charge the $150 or lower the cost to $100. This is a ridiculous price to pay for a place like this. The ONLY way I would recommend it is if you have many people stay in a room to save money. You could comfortably sleep six people in the room I stayed in. ALSO, this motel is ONE MILE from Salem attractions. Once you are downtown, you will walk A LOT, which is great, but putting a mile in either end of that is too much.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Lucygreeson
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed at the Clipper Shop Inn because it had a reasonable price for Salem. Honestly, I felt there was nothing really "wrong" with the room, but there just wasn't a whole lot that was special. It was, in my opinion, just okay. The room was okay, but it was dated. When I walked into the room the first thing I saw, and felt, was how empty it was. It was a huge room with very little in it. Even the large bed did nothing to fill up the room. The television was small and dated, the way the room was decorated was dated (I noted, for example, and yes this is picky, that the cute border that went around the top of the walls repeated the same theme every foot, after foot, after foot). The only annoying thing I found, and I noted it in other rooms as well, was the drapes hung over the air conditioner intake, so one had the choice either having the a/c on or having the drapes closed, but you couldn't have the drapes pulled closed and the a/c on at the same time. Would I return here? Maybe. It was a good value. Would I be happy about it? Not really. I would say that the help in the office was very kind, and helpful. They came off sort of gruff, but every time I asked a question they were quite helpful. They just didn't know how to smile.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrliterature
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Courteous very helpful staff, made adding a 3rd nite for our stay easy - and provided a microwave for our new room.

Good guidance with things to do, and places to eat.

Very short drive to downtown Salem and not far from Gloucester.

Room Tip: pay a little extra for a suite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center

Been to Clipper Ship Inn? Share your experiences!