“Good Times, Great Host!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Good Times, Great Host!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Two friends and I just wanted a weekend break from college and so we chose Salem. We stayed in the Woodbury room of the Northey, it was spacious and perfect. Flora was an amazing host, conversation was easy, breakfast was amazing. We had a crazy time. When we return we will definitely be staying at the Northey.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rallie-Brennan
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Spring break is the perfect time for some Paranormal activity in Salem!

Glad you all enjoyed your time here at Northey Street House B&B and in Salem. Thank you for taking the time to review us. Hope to see you back here again for more investigations.

Flora

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed on April 17 and 18, 2012 and were in the Woodbury Room (on the first floor). Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by Flora. We chose to stay here because of the reviews we had seen on Trip Advisor and I have to say, they were dead on. The room was spotless....you couldn't even find any dirt or dust if you tried. I loved having to take your shoes off at the door and the bin of slippers you could pick from. The bed was comfortable and Flora's breakfasts were sumptuous....we had blueberry scones dusted in sugar, spinach and feta frittata, omlets, muffins, and there was each morning a fresh fruit cup with mango, banana, and blackberries. Flora is very nice and will help you to figure out where to go and what to see....she even sat and chatted with us at breakfast each morning and we enjoyed her company. There are plenty of snacks and drinks that you can help yourself to at any time of the day. The location of the inn is excellent... a five minute walk to the Salem Witch Museum and Peabody Essex Museum. We saved $20 per day in parking fees as the inn has off street parking. So with the savings in parking and the fantastic breakfast each morning the price is really a good deal. I would highly recommend this inn to anyone wanting to visit the Salem area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woodbury Room and it was great. Being on the first floor and near the entrance was...
1 Thank summervacation09
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you so much for your affirmation of our commitment to our guests! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our offerings from the hearty & healthy breakfasts to the comfortable cotton linens. We hold ourselves to high standards in cleanliness and I'm glad you noticed.

We have 2 rooms that have a tub & shower combination. They would be the Captain's Quarters and the Garden room. Some people prefer the ease of a walk-in shower and some prefer to soak.

You're also right in that if you add up all the little things, this is a great value. This is a well kept secret of B&B goers. I'm glad you enjoyed everthing and I hope to welcome you again on your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Lovely home and great location. Had only one night but able to explore Salem really easily.

1 Thank Rosanne H
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us even though you only got a little taste of Salem. Hope it was enough to make you want more. We would love to welcome you back again sometime.

New york
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Yes, yes yes! I absolutely adored this place. My boyfriend and I drove there from New York and instantly felt at home. The house is immaculately clean, the rooms are beautifully decorated, and the common room was loaded with stuff you could do. There is wifi, endless movies available to watch, tons of books, magazines and other reading material, a laptop and printer, and a phone. It was a bit chilly on the days my boyfriend and I were there, but when the weather warms up, there is a beautiful deck outside of the kitchen where you can sit and have drinks and just relax as well. On top of that, the breakfasts were phenomenal. Everything was homemade and mouthwatering. In addition to our meal, we were served fresh fruit, which were perfectly ripe. Flora was so welcoming and happy to have each and every single person there in her home! Her and Ann, as well as Ann's son, Jeff, were beyond helpful with where to go and places to see. They love their job, that's for sure and the house, the service and the food, all reflect that.
The parking and location is so convenient. We parked our car in the available parking space provided, and didn't move it until we left. Everything and everywhere you need to go is in walking distance. Tons of restaurants with amazing food, awesome bars with live music, and drinks right on the water. Vics boathouse, in a pigs eye, and scratch kitchen are all really good and so much fun. Other than restaurants, every single witch attraction you can think of, is walking distance as well. I would 110% recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone who is thinking about going to Salem no matter what the occasion!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah A
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Wow, thank you for your glowing review! We appreciate it so much! You're right on that we love our job, especially meeting people from all over the country and beyond and sharing our knowledge of Salem with them.

Salem is a walking town and you really do see and experience much more as you walk around the neighborhoods, the downtown, and the waterfront. We love living and working in Salem and glad it shows. I'm glad you found everything to be as expected and more. Hope we will be welcoming you back soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and had a wonderful time. The house was beautiful and the room perfect. The house is just off the main road so there was no road noise, and only a 5 min walk to downtown Salem. Flora was a gracious host and great cook, breakfast was perfect every morning.
Her knowledge of the area was great and she made sure we did not miss a thing. We can't wait to come back again. Do yourself a favor and stay here.

3 Thank Joe7034
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Northey Street House. We are on a quiet residential street which is nice. I'm delighted you found the B&B to be a quiet & restful retreat after a full touring schedule. I think you guys covered a lot of ground in the 4 days you were here, but glad to hear that you still have more here that you would like to come back and see.

Thank you for your compliments on the breakfasts. It is extremely important to me that my guests get off to a good start on the day with a healthy and nourishing breakfast. I'm glad you enjoyed it all. I look forward to your return visit.

Bourne, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had never been to Salem. Flora had lots of great ideas to help me enjoy my time . The restaurant she suggested was wonderful and within walking distance. Yummy breakfast , the room was spacious , very clean and comfy. A mix of old with lots of images of sea captains and boats and practical like a place to put my belonging and bathroom items. I felt safe and happy . I will visit again for sure. Thanks Flora

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanne M
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words. We bake fresh daily from scratch so am glad you enjoyed our breakfast. The rooms are designed with our guests' comfort and needs in mind. I'm so glad you had a great first experience in Salem at the Northey Street House.

Thank you so much for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again so you could see all that Salem has to offer.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2012

A friend of mine and I went away for a quick weekend getaway to get away from kids and the "mother" routine. We chose the Northey Bed & Breakfast because we like the look of the rooms, the location, and all of the amenities included.

We were warmly greeted by Ann, and then later by Flora. We were given a nice tour of the place, our keys, and made to feel very comfortable. We were looking forward to a great weekend.

We were very pleasantly surprised the next morning when we were greeting by Flora and SERVED in the kitchen area. She cooked the most delicious gourmet breakfasts - egg frittatas, fresh fruit cups (cut from fresh fruit, not from a Dole can), coffee, orange juice, freshly baked, warm scones from scratch.... It was not the self serve cold continental breakfast we were expecting!

The beds were very comfortable, rooms were large and in the common areas there was plenty to do - wireless internet, a computer, telephone with free long distance, plenty to read, movies to watch. Also, in the kitchen area snacks and drinks were available AT NO CHARGE! We had access to the refrigerator and a coffee pot, microwave. It really felt like home.

The location is perfect for exploring downtown, historic Salem. We parked our car and did not need it until we left. We were able to walk to Pickering Wharf as well as all of the local attractions - Salem Witch Museum, Wax Museum, Witch's Village, House of the Seven Gables, the National Park Maritime Museum and more.

Not only was the service top notch while we were there, but after we left as well. Half way home (a 6 hour drive), I realized that I left my own pillow on the bed. I called Flora and asked if she could mail it to me, with me paying shipping of course. I got a call back right away and a message today that it was in the mail.

I would definitely recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone who asks. As a travel agent as well, I will be promoting this to my clients!

Room Tip: Ask for the Woodbury room - on same level as common area for dining/relaxing. Also the Woodbury roo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brenda T
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Thank you for a fantastic review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the breakfasts and appreciated that they are made from scratch. You were actually in the Captain's Quarters which is very comparable to the Woodbury room.

I'm happy to hear that you had a great time here and find the location convenient to attractions and restaurants. Of course I want you to sleep well here and also at home, so was glad to return the pillow you left.

Thank you in advance for your referrals to travel clients. Hope to see you again.

Flora
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
Stepping Stone Inn
Stepping Stone Inn
#5 of 9 in Salem

Been to Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!