“Cute/convenient place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
State College, PA
“Cute/convenient place!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Northey this past weekend for Salem's Haunted Happenings. It's a great location, walking distance from the train station and all of the major attractions downtown. Flora was a wonderful hostess and made guests feel right at home. I've stayed at some B&Bs that feel stuffy and I didn't feel any of that at Northey -just felt welcome! Also, it was a great value, even during the peak weekend on which we visited. The neighborhood was quiet and felt very "local". All in all, a great visit.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank katums1985
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words! We're delighted that you felt welcomed and comfortable here and that you had an enjoyable Haunted Happenings weekend. It's great to be amongst other Halloween costumed revelers during this Fall season in Salem. It's quite an experience that even locals marvel at how the town is completely transformed into this Halloween capital, seemingly, of the world.

I love open, light filled spaces, so there is absolutely no stuffiness here. Thank you for mentioning that. There is much more to see in Salem and I hope you will be back to see it in a different season/light. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Flora

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I was not going to write a review of this property but Flora the owner actually sent me an email asking me to review her B&B and so here goes.

This review is difficult to write as Flora seems a nice enough person and I would not want to do either her or her establishment any harm.

My wife and I had been on a three week tour in the USA staying in eight different hotels / B&B's that cost any between $100 to $300 per night. This gives me seven other establishments to compare Northey against and at various price points etc.

The welcome was OK. Flora was just going out and this was fine but she made it clear that we had to take off our shoes and use slippers provided. This was to keep out "dirt and allergens". I had a couple off issues with this. I would never enter anyone's home wearing dirty shoes and why would "allergens" be any more likely to be on my shoes than my coat or my suitcase? The other issue is that the stair carpet up to the room was a bit worn and manky looking.

I have stayed in literally hundreds of hotels and B&B's and have never not once ever been asked to remove shoes and wear slippers. It's Flora's property and so it is of course up to her, I just found it a little weird.

The room itself was again strange. I have stayed in fantastic older style or chintzy guest houses in the past and although they may not be to my taste that is not a problem if done well. In Northey the style of the room was very much if there is a space on a wall or on a shelf or fireplace then fill it with "stuff". The room was jam packed with "stuff". Piles of old National Geographic Magazines, Sea shells, a plaster seagull, a plaster ornament of two teddy bears in a bed. On the wall were various pictures of ships but then a modern wall hanging. In the bathroom were three mirrors, one modern with lights above, one with stain glass effect and one plain. Everything kind of jarred. It was like the room was decorated in a style many years ago and then over a period of time more and more stuff was added to the room but with no real need to be there.

The breakfast was not what I was expecting. I had read some reviews about fabulous breakfasts and was looking forward to this. We were given a tiny bowl of chopped fruit, some cranberry bread which had been bought in and was excellent and I was also offered some cake (I would not eat cake for breakfast). Flora asked if I would like some scrambled eggs and what was produced was by a million miles the worst scrambled eggs I have ever had. Three large solid lumps of dried egg.

It was actually difficult to write this review and Flora was good company but unfortunately we were not paying for her company.

The positives were it had parking and WIFI. It was a reasonable walk to Salem centre. It was very clean in the room.

At just under $200 for the room it was very, very poor value for money and I would never return. We stayed in $100 rooms that were on a par with what was offered at Northey House. For the price I genuinely expected better.

My apologies Flora. I was not going to review but did so only after you mailed and asked me to.

7 Thank ukwouthwest
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We always like to know how we can improve. You booked one night in the middle of Salem's Haunted Happenings which is the one month that is extremely peak in demand, so I understand why you didn't feel it was a good value compare to other places you stayed during this time.

Regarding the shoes off request, I found a blogger who said it best "According to the EPA Tracked in carpet dust is one of the major sources of home exposure to lead, allergen, bacteria, fungi, volatile organic compounds, and pesticides…eew! Not to mention the other dirt and grime {and who knows what else – restrooms – yuck!} found on the ground – everywhere you may go. There is a reason I wear shoes in public…I’m just saying." and "There are a lot of different opinions about removing shoes – though I have to side with Martha Stewart when she says remove your shoes at the door, and ask guests to do the same."

You stayed in the Captain's Quarters as requested. There are many current photos of the room on our website and facebook page so that guest know exactly what the room they're booking looks like. Personally, I prefer a room with some interesting objects and magazines to look at than a bare room. Salem has a rich maritime history and trade with the Far East. The Japanese silk scroll is a nod to that history, not a random "modern wall hanging".

The breakfast you had was fresh out of the oven cranberry walnut bread from our local top rated artisan bakery and their apple coffee cake. Most guest in general like something sweet with their morning coffee. The apple cake was actually only lightly sweet, moist and eggy like a popover. I really wish you had tried it. The bakery had loads of other much sweeter breakfast offerings, like their decadent sticky cinnamon bun, chocolate croissants, brown butter cakes & other coffee cakes and danishes and they have quite a big following. I think it's quite international to have some sweet bread with morning coffee/tea. Some people like their eggs well done, evidently, you were not one of them.

Most people come to B&B's for the personal touches and the interactions with other people. I'm sure if you had poor interactions, you would be writing about them. I believe you had a good experience, just not at the price point you wanted.

Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We came East from Oklahoma to visit family in Connecticut, but we spent two wonderful days in Salem first. We loved our room at the Northey House--very cozy, clean, and comfortable--and the breakfasts Flora served were delicious! Parking was not a problem, and the location at Northey was a comfortable walk (for two seniors) to the Common, the Witch Museum, Hawthorne Hotel,and Essex Street pedestrian mall. We took advantage of the trolley tour to introduce us to the city and got on and off to visit the old cemetery in town and the Witch Memorial. We had wonderful weather and couldn't have been more pleased with the hospitality at the Northey House. After checking out, we visited the House of the Seven Gables and the wharf area before heading to Connecticut. It was great fun, and we can't wait to come back to Salem!

Room Tip: We had a beautiful room on the ground floor that was sunny and bright, comfortably warm, and didn...
Green Features: We were happy to find the two wastebaskets in the bathroom for recycling materials, and were happy NOT having the towels replaced each day. We felt very much at home, since we are recyclers and try not to waste water. Kudos to you, Flora!
1 Thank RitaB1234
Derwood, Maryland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Comfortable, clean, quiet, yummy vegetarian/gluten bree breakfast, accommodating hostess. Fun walking from Northey B&B at night in downtown Salem and visiting the Salem Witches Museum and House of Seven Gables Museum the next day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1PeaceLove
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We travel to Salem virtually every year and stay in a B&B. Based on our October 2013 stay in the Northey House, Flora has definitely earned our business on return trips. The location was superb, easily within walking distance of all attractions and yet away from the crowds that frequent Salem in October. Parking was not an issue with off street parking just steps from the door to our room. Breakfast was a very tasty frittata and pumpkin and cranberry corn muffins and served in the second floor dining room with other guests who seemed as happy with their accommodations as we were with ours. Far and away what sets Northey Street House apart though is the friendly and hospitable nature of Flora, the self described "accidental innkeeper". Her hard work, and friendly disposition combine to create a welcoming atmosphere and that atmosphere is what makes Northey House a great place to stay in Salem.

1 Thank schraged
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is an excellent b and b - very clean and comfortable. Our room, the Captain's quarters, was spacious and nicely decorated. I loved the high count sheets - a really comfortable bed. Flora goes out of her way to help you. I was especially impressed by her service setting our reservation for a busy October stay. The other top b and b in town doesn't even answer the phone and were quite rude via email, but Flora at Northey House answered right away and was very friendly. We also appreciated the location - an easy walk to all the action from a quiet neighborhood.

1 Thank artelover
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We traveled to the Northey House from North Carolina for our honeymoon. It was wonderful. We stayed in the Garden Room, which is nice because it provides a separate entrance. We had a spacious bathroom and very comfortable bed. The Inn is a short walk from Salem. Breakfast was perfect - thanks Flora!

Room Tip: Garden room is our recommendation!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review. It's always nice to know what particular aspects of the inn guests enjoyed. I'm glad to hear you found the Garden room bed to be comfortable, the bathroom to be spacious, & the separate entrance a plus.

Congratulations again! We're so glad you had a "lovely honeymoon" here in Salem and at the Northey House, especially right in the middle of October when the town really comes alive with Haunted Happenings activities. The weather was so pleasant for your honeymoon also. We wish you all the best and hope you'll return again to celebrate an anniversary.

Flora
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!