“Golf Course OK, Staff Horrible”

SilverHorn Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful public course with a feature 4th-hole.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My brother and I looked forward to playing this course. For Christmas, we both received a $50 gift card for Silverhorn. At check-in we were told we both had $8.95 balance left on each gift card after our green fees were charged. We asked if we could use that in the grille after the round for lunch/drinks and were told "no, you can only use it in the golf shop". OK, no biggie (even though we believe a gift card should be good anywhere on property...especially with no restrictions printed on the card). Then after a nice round (never saw a marshal? never saw a restroom except a porta pottie?), I gave my gift card with $8.95 to my brother to use with his to get himself a hat. It then got ugly...one asst pro working one register. We were fifth and sixth in line with two others behind us. A manager came out to show the asst pro how to ring in the four guests in front of us who had purchased a special deal online. Neither the asst pro or manager bothered to acknowledge the rest of us in line with a "we'll be right with you, sorry for the delay, etc.". Incredibly, the manager then just walked away!! Wow...you would think he would have got on another cash register to help the guests in line...nope! When my brother finally got to purchase the hat, the asst pro told us "you can only use the gift card for green fees". Disappointed to say the least, we just walked out. We won't be back EVER! If Silverhorn ever runs a green fee special for $8.95, let me know and I'll give you two gift cards to use for that horribly managed facility.

6  Thank GeeDub1023

Reviewed 18 May 2013

The reviews I read of this course were extremely misleading. In fact, it's a pretty high price for a mediocre golf experience. The pace of play on this course was slower than anything I've ever seen, and there's no course marshall in sight to move things along. My wife and I ended up skipping from number 5 to the back nine, after spending over 90 minutes playing the first 4. We had 10 through 12 to ourselves, and then overtook a foursome that stopped us cold...over 2 hours to play the last 7, but it could have been more, I just stopped counting. Instead of a restroom there's a portable toilet on one of the back nine holes. It might be okay to come here on a weekday, but I'll certainly never come out on a weekend. In fact, I won't bother to return.

1  Thank wasabisa
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We haven't played this course in over ten years.
It is in great shape, specially for winter. The greens and tees are in very special condition.
The people here are so friendly. I felt like I was in a private club.
We played with one of the guys from the pro shop and his wife. They were lots of fun.
They have two Rangers on the course.
One of these guys was an interesting gent from near my old hometown in Pennsylvania. Tom is a great Ambassador for Silverhorn.
There is a special for seniors that includes two free draft beers. The choice of beers was amazing.
They also cook a tasty burger here.
What more could you ask for; an outstanding golf layout, great conditions, friendly people, good food, and free beer.
That's a winner every day!!

1  Thank bobemac
Reviewed 24 January 2013

One of the best golf opportunities in San Antonio. For winter play in south Texas course is in great shape compared to others. People are great.

1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We have had several business and personal meetings here - with and without golf. They have always done a good job and worked with us.

1  Thank antiquarian5