“Beautiful place for weddings”

Japanese Tea Gardens
Ranked #11 of 271 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Originally a rock quarry, part of the tea garden came from a donation by George W. Brackenridge and another section from Emma Koehler. In 1915 Ray Lambert, city parks commissioner, thought it would make a nice location for a lily pond. Ultimately, it grew to become a tea garden. The latest renovations began in 2007 and cost about $1.6 million, compared with the $7,000 Lambert originally spent to open the park. It is a Registered Texas Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I've performed three weddings at the Japanese Tea Gardens also know from my childhood and the "sunken" gardens. The place is looking really good. Cleaned up, thanks to renovations in 2011, makes this a delightful venue for small intimate weddings and accommodations for larger receptions for those who love the outdoors. Note: The beautiful waterfall location can be a challenge for hearing the words spoken at a wedding and foot traffic is constant due to visitors at the gardens so my recommendation is to chose a different area of the gardens. There are many to chose from. The pond is huge with many beautifully colored koi.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Very pretty, worth a stop if you are visiting the zoo as they are right next to one another. We visited in late March and it was pretty dead - not a lot of plants. The stonework and ponds were still beautiful and worth seeing. We spent about 20 minutes hiking around the grounds. I am sure it is gorgeous when the plants are in bloom! Easy, free parking. This attraction is all stairs - not accessible.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

When I got to the top of the stairs and looked out, I was in awe. Honestly this place does not look that "japanese" to me. Neither did I find it's main attraction to be the "gardens", however, the architecture of this place is simply magnificent. The stone work is amazing. I would love to see it again when more plants are in bloom, but seriously the plants are really not the hightlight. They have won awards from the AIA, and I can see why. I would go there again, no doubt.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Visited after a long day at the Riverwalk, the quiet was nice and enjoyable. Wish the flowers were in bloom more, but very nicely decorated.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

In March there were very few plants so our visit was bland. We could however appreciate all the stone work and peacefulness of the area. The tea shop is good with friendly staff where you can learn about the interesting history of this spot. Next to the zoo