“Clean pool, no hot water or cable.”

Econo Lodge Downtown South
Ranked #276 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The pool was clean & Room was nice size (suite) for the price we paid. Great value. Shower had no hot water & staff suggested we didn't know how to turn the knob. When the sink had no hot water either, we were rebuffed again that we had to "just let it run a while." It had been on the entire time...waiting....running...cold. Well, into the night my husband demanded a refund & we would leave to another hotel that had hot water as he was told we could have a small room but no price adjustment would be made (suite vs. small room). We were told 'no refund.' After an 8 hour journey, we needed a shower! Finally he called AGAIN and demanded something be done immediately & that no hot water is just unacceptable. Once again we were told by maintenance, over the phone, that "hot showers are not really good for you anyway." That was the last straw for us. After a series of intense phone conversations we had hot water. Great location to downtown sites, suite is surprisingly large compared to price paid. Quiet & clean. Housekeeping did not show up & garbage built up until we took it out ourselves. Had to call for linens/towels. Might stay at an Econolodge again since this issue seemed quite specific & the rest of the stay was great.

Room Tip: The suite was a great value. Experienced situational issues but location was close to downtown sites...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 July 2013

we stayed for 4 days and it was what we expected. from day one to last day. breakfast was great, beds comfy, a/c worked so no complaints here. Would definitely stay again. its is close to downtown, to the mission trail and not far from Sea World. Right off the I-35 so e

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a graduation in the area and made the trip into a vacation. The hotel is in close proximity to the Alamo, Six Flags and many other local attractions. Having never stayed at an Econo Lodge, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of service. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. i was definitely surprised by the quality for the value received and would stay here again if ever back in the area!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I rented 2 rooms in this hotel as it was close to River Walk. As soon as I got to my room I noticed it was hot. The AC was not working. I called maintenance and they sent someone right away. The gentleman played with the buttons and then he punched the AC until it started making some noise. He said that it was going to take some time to make the room comfortable . He added that in case it stop working in the middle of the night we just needed to punch it hard . I went to the lobby to request a new room. We were moved immediately. The new room did not smell very clean and the carpet needed some cleaning. We unpacked and I went to take a shower when I noticed that the toilet overflow and that the carpet was wet. Excrement was coming out of the toilet and was on the floor. Once more I called the front desk. This time they sent a lady quickly. She came with a plunger and a towel. I heard her working on the toilet. She dried the floor with the towel and she was not wearing any gloves . She did not mop the floor and they did not bring a wet vacuum to dry the carpet. To me this was very disgusting and unhealthy. We decided to stay and leave the next morning because we were tire and we had 5 kids with us. The second room we rented for my daughter had the same problem. She said that the bathtub was clogged and the bathroom had the same problem . Sunday morning before leaving the place we went to have breakfast. The tables were dirty and sticky. The container that had the muffins had 2 flies inside. The scramble eggs were runny and there was like a puddle of water at the bottom of the tray. Disgusting!. We left without eating breakfast. I stayed at this hotel years ago when it was called Quality Inn and we had a great experience. This time was awful. I have to say that the staff was very nice and friendly. It is not their fault that the hotel is such in a poor quality. We will never stay in this hotel at all. A sanitary inspector should come and check this hotel. It should be closed, cleaned and repaired before they can operate again. The bedspreads should be removed and have only white and clean sheets. The carpet has to be replaced. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. The price was not cheap at all. Actually I found a 5 star quality hotel, clean and excellent for less money.

Room Tip: Find yourself another hotel. The only good thing is that it is closed to the highway. However the ne...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my family for my sons graduation from Lackland.
The maids were sweet, and helpful, the rooms were clean and the beds comfortable, breakfast was very good, eggs, bagels, cereals, coffee, sausage and waffles shaped like Texas...which delighted my kids.
The pool was clean, and over all its a great value, its a lovely little family spot where you can feel safe and enjoy yourself. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: clean, comfortable, with friendly staff...thats what you want when you travel, thats what you'll...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is located close to the interstate. From this location it is also easy to get downtown without getting on interstate in about 10 minutes. My room was large on the back side of the hotel and was quiet.The room was clean though bed a little soft. The room had HDTV, recliner, microwave, and frig. I also liked the free parking, free high speed internet, and king size bed.

Room Tip: Rooms on side opposite pool are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Hey, It's an Econo Lodge. The motel was clean and comfortable. The staff and the manager was on top of everything. Breakfast was outstanding! Fluffy scrambled eggs, sausage, Texas waffles. Great value for the price

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple