“Hotel from a bad dream”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Lackland AFB (San Antonio)
Ranked #40 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Hotel condition run-down. Hallways very hot. Room small & cramped. Toilet sounded like roaring engine when flushed. Bathtub drain stopper broken. Room had a huge beetle and two monster-sized roaches (that we saw). Exterior door at hallway shook every time a plane went over and it made our room door shake as well. Beds were not comfortable. Did not see any security personnel. The man that brought the roll-a-way bed said he also operates the cafe during week by himself as waiter, cook, cashier, & dishwasher. Said he also does maintenance and security on weekends. Actually saw him doing some maintence and running cafe. He was very nice & friendly. Other maintenance man (fixed bathtub) was very rude, bossy and not friendly at all. Saw him outside watering plants when we checked out. Front desk night man was very nice. The one roll of toilet tissue went in a hurry. Called front desk & got no answer so I had to go outside and walk to front after midnight to get toilet tissue from front desk. (Inside hall door leading to lobby locked @ 11pm.) After getting tissue from front desk night woman, she then told me I was not allowed in lobby after 11pm and had to go. Front desk person David did give discount at checkout. Told him of problems and why we were checking out to go to another hotel. Acted like it was no big deal we were unsatisfied and leaving. Very unhappy with hotel quality, accomodations and service. Had booked several nights, but one night at this hotel was enough.!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank NORMA010

Reviewed 30 April 2010

We stayed here for my stepdaughters Airforce graduation from March 17 to March 21. I refuse to stay in a dirty hotel, and this one met my "Clean inspection". The location is great for Lackland AFB. It is only a 15 minute drive straight down Old 90 Hwy to downtown San Antonio. The pool/pool area was great. The rooms have a microwave and fridge. SuperWalmart is about 2 miles away (we got Stoufers frozen meals and microwaved them for dinner/lunch. And fruit, milk, juice, etc and it reduced our cost of going out of town). Fast food is 1/4 mile away. The staff was great. The only complaint was the restaurant was real expensive and the food was lousy. But, with a fridge/micro in the room and fast food so close you don't have to eat in the restaurant!
And, FYI, the Denny's right by the hotel was really BAD, so don't go there.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LibertyvilleLauren
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Stayed here for my daughters graduation from basic training. I judge all hotels by how clean the bathroom is. This was one of the cleaniness hotels I have ever stayed in. Even the bathroom in the lobby was spotless. % stars from me and priced right. Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bosnmate007
Reviewed 29 October 2009

My family and I stayed here for our daughters BMTS graduation. It was a rainy night when we arrived. It was very hard to locate this hotel. There Holiday Inn hotel sign was not lit and the hotel itself is set back about 50 ft from the road with a bunch of palms trees in front of it. Not knowing it, but we passed this hotel twice. Finally we stopped at a convient store and a very nice Army family took us right to the hotel. This hotel is located right next to the Roadway Inn. When we called the clerk that night, she said the hotel was located south of the Red Roof Inn...totally in the wrong direction! Rooms were clean, be ware of the "waxed" kitchen floor. Almost broke my neck when i walked in there. The third night there, the Texas cockroaches came out! They were so big, I thought they were going to carry the sofa away. We left the dead cockroaches hoping the maids the next day will pick them up. Nope, they left them there! Then that night, the maids forgot to give us towels. We had 4 adults in this suite, no bath towels. When I went down stairs to talk to the clerk, she said they didn't have anymore. I asked her to get some from an empty room, she said she can't leave the desk. I told her she better find some towels soon. About 20 mins later, she called our room and can you believe she found some towels! Other than that, the hotel is ok and decent for the price of having a suite for larger families.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank skibumLV
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My wife, I and mother and father spent four nights at the Holiday Inn Lackland.

First of all let me just say the Greeter, Al is a great host and is a very helpful person. The Bar sucks, i was charged different prices at Happy Hour, it was only a dollar or two but that is not what is important.

No elevator for the second floor, so you get to hump your luggage up a steep flight of stairs.

My room, 230, has a bathroom light that came on and off as it pleased. a call to maintanance was made, they came and said its a short circuit in the ceiling and that they have known about it for along time. usually it goes off while your taking a shower or using the toilet. it generally returns on about 30 minutes and as long as you dont turn the switch off it will stay on all night

The room smelled damp the entire time, but i blame that on the humidity.

The staff is friendly, the restaurant is decent and the overall atmosphere on the property is not bad at all.

Note: The hotel is better than the rest in the area, but be advised you are in GANG LAND!

its alright for attending a Air Force Graduation but not much else. I would recommend going to San Antonio Proper if you want anything else.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dogger1
Reviewed 15 August 2009

We went for my son's BMT graduation Aug 5-10. I arranged for late arrival since we were driving in. Our room was ready without any problems. It was nice and clean...love the beds with the nice fluffy comforters and pillows. The room was nice and cold. Temperatures were 103 -105 outside when we visited so the cool room was nice to come back to everyday. My airman wanted to just come to the room and relax / cool down after spending the morning out in the hot weather in his full dress blues. We had clean towels every day. Beds were made everyday and our maid even folded up my daughters blanket and fluffed the pillow she brought from home. The hotel was nice and clean and everyone was friendly and helpful. They have maps of the local area and Lackland AFB and were knowledgeable about the graduation events, gate closers, and area attractions. Pool and patio were nice and clean. The decor now has a southwest flare not white like in the internet pictures. I didn't have any problems with my bill. It was the exact price as what I booked on the Internet. I did agree to the 20%additional fee for incidentals if I used them (like room service) but was not charge this fee because I did not use them. Our room was located right by a stair well by the ice machine and vending machines so this was convenient for my kids. I was happy with everything at this hotel. We did not spend much time in the hotel since we were visiting with our airman, but it was always a pleasant experience to come back to a clean, cool room and friendly staff. It is within minutes from all the attractions - everything is easy to get too. If you're not sure where anything is just ask the staff or access internet on the computer located in the lobby. I was going to book a hotel on the Riverwalk in downtown San Antonio, but am glad I didn't. It cost half the money to stay at this Holiday Inn and it was only a few minutes from the base and that matters when you have to be there at 7am for graduation events and your airman wants you to pick him up first thing in the morning when he has town pass. Local businesses & restaurants are just down the street.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jeanette64florida
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I can't say enough about our stay here. It was by far the best hotel experience we've ever had. Rooms were very clean, all the staff was wonderful, beds and pillows were the best I've ever slept on, hotel was extremely close to everything we were visiting, and the price was reasonable. We came to San Antonio on vacation to go to Sea World, Riverwalk, New Braunfels, Corpus Christi, and the zoo. It was the perfect location and we didn't have to drive far for any of those (except Corpus). From the front desk staff, to housekeeping staff (who very sweetly arranged my two small girls' stuffed animals on the bed after making it) to the restaurant staff, to maintenance men...all were wonderful, even despite the fact that we had two unruly little girls running down the halls. San Antonio is so big compared to the little town we live in and the staff at this hotel really made it feel like a home away from home in such a jungle of a city. The pool and hot tub were wonderful also. I would without a doubt recommend this hotel to anyone traveling and will stay here anytime I visit San Antonio in the future. They say you get what you pay for....well, we got so much more that we expected. It was great! Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family