“FABULOUS STAFF - HOTEL NEEDS MAJOR UPDATE”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square
Ranked #97 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The Staff get 5 stars. In the end the average score comes from the property itself. I read the other reviews and was surprised to see comments about new carpets and of anything being updated. I can only assume that some of the rooms have been updated. My husband was there on business for 2 weeks in early October, 2011 and I came in for 5 days to "vacation". We stayed on the third floor - two bedroom suite. It was not an updated room, but sorely needed it. Our furniture was old and worn, with the kind of dark spots all over the fabric that it was imbedded with age, not something the staff could clean any longer. Our window leaked during the storm and soaked the carpet, which needed major cleaning anyway. Our fireplace only turned on 1/2 the time, and the couple of "art" pieces in the room were 80's art deco and cheap looking - not pleasant to look at at all. I could hear water drips in the wall if I left the sink on in the bathroom for more than 10 seconds. The hall ways are too dark and the carpet needs updating throughout. Yes, they have a "work out" room, and it was clean, but it is small and nothing to look at with older equipment - I saw more than one person go in and come right back out. I'm sure the elevator is in great working order, however it is outdated looking and kind of small, that it's not a comfortable ride. OK, that all said - They have the best staff than about anywhere else I've ever stayed! I think if you ask for one of their updated rooms on the first floor which is lighter, you'd be very happy with your stay. I was so happy with the staff that I responded to a survey they sent me (I usually do not bother with those). From the Desk staff to the Kitchen staff, Housekeeping, the pool guy (I guess he was the maintenance guy - but I only saw him at the pool each day). They were all very friendly and accommodating. They have a great full buffet style breakfast - hard to find in a 3 star hotel. Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Potatoes, Waffle Maker, More than one coffee to choose from, Salsa, Oatmeal, Biscuits and Gravy, a variety of breads. Anyway, I spoke with several of the staff while I was there and they all smiled and seemed genuinely happy to help me. In either coming or going or by hanging out by the pool myself - I always saw the pool guy keeping up with the pool area. I even saw him moving umbrellas around to keep the shade available in the heat of the day. I didn't need room cleaning each day, but I would find Housekeeping and switch out towels. They were smiling and even reminded me to bring them my trash and handed me new trash bags, simply very friendly - you don't see that often enough. I told the Marriott folks that Staff like that deserve a quality hotel to work in and be proud of. If they update the entire hotel - they could really have a place so many more would want to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at the Residence Inn for a few days and enjoyed the stay. The amenities include free parking, internet, breakfast (plus free light dinner Mon-Wed). The outdoor pool/jacuzzi is a nice feature, and there is also an exercise room. There is even a small outdoor playground. It's not right in the heart of downtown, but it's very close. We were very happy to stay here and would come back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dondequiera
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The hotel was really nice & comfortable. Very clean & well kept. I did have a little problem when i first arrived because after having unloaded all our luggage into the second floor suite...it turns out the door wouldnt lock! I have to say it was a bit inconvenient for me to have to haul all our luggage into a different room, because the maintanence crew wasnt available. Someone also complained about the noise coming from my room but we had 3 kids with us so i guess it was expected! The breakfast was good & they do have a variety of choices. All in all id have to say we liked it. The staff was friendly too!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We stoped here for just one night. We pulled in the parking lot and couldnt find the Lobby! Its in the same parking lot as the CourtYard. No sign saying check-in or lobby for the Residence. Very different. Hot-tub colder then bath water. Pool so cold you'd turn blue. T.V.'s are old ( not H.D.) The upper channels had a terrible buzz. Both T.V.'s. Furniture looked like it was out of the 70's. With the right improvements, this would be a nice, quiet, place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mur018
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This was a very clean hotel. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the breakfast was always good. The room was spacious. I would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and it was a reasonable hotel. The hotel is well located in the centre and only a short ride from the likes of the Riverwalk and malls etc...
There were 4 people and 1 small child in our party and we all shared a room - my sister and her husband took the master room as she is 6months pregnant and myself and my boyfriend slept on the pull out sofa bed; although extremely clean it wasnt the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in... however, what did we expect for a sofa bed? My nephew (2yrs) slept on a pull in bed - he was comfortable enough but the room itself was quite small so felt a little overcrowded with the sofa and pull in bed! (but who spends all their time in the room??)

We paid for breakfast and it was lovely... offered what any other hotel would offer; cereals, waffles, toast, eggs etc...!!

The pool area was clean; however, the photo is quite decieving and the pool isnt as big as I expected. But again, we didnt come for a pool vacation! It was good to use as a cool down!

The only downfall was if you want to rent a movie in the room it will set you back $14 (on average!!!) a rip off!!!!

In terms of San Antonio; I would definately recommend the following:
- Casa Rio - Mexican restaurant (located on the riverwalk)
- The Riverwalk - gorgeous walk with cute restaurants/bars and shops along the way!
- Riverwalk boat trip - $8 each and really interesting
- Shops at La Canterra - save up, some AMAZING stores!

Overall; a clean and well managed hotel... worth the money we paid (if you want 5star then expect to pay 5star money!!!)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathryn M
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Friendly staff but that is the only perk. Every night somebody gets their car broken into because the owners are too cheap to provide security, unlike the other Marriotts in the area. Definitly freeloads off the Marriott franchise reputation and is not up to your typical Marriott standards. TVs dont work. Laundry machines always broken.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business