“Fantastic staff - scheduled for renovation in December...and it needs it” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square
Ranked #83 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
O'Fallon, Missouri
“Fantastic staff - scheduled for renovation in December...and it needs it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Very nice place to stay that is close to the river walk, the alamo and other downtown shopping attractions - within walking distance. The staff is very friendly, helpful and just plain nice. Great Texas hospitality and the breakfast (daily) and manager's social (Mon-Weds) are very well done. Best selection of drinks I've seen at a Residence Inn social, the breakfast is fresh cooked and has standard selection of pastries, toast, yogurt, and fruit. The restaurants in San Antonio are 5 star but if you are looking to save some money, the manager's social will fill you up at no cost. Every afternoon they had hot cookies and milk out for a snack. The "business center" is a desk with computer and printer in the dining area. There are two buildings with rooms - I was in the Plaza building. Reminded me of military housing I've lived in - out-dated, old, but maintained and functioning. My refrigerator had no ice maker, the dishwasher didn't do a very good job, the kitchen sink was missing caulking, etc. That said, the room was very clean, the bedding and furniture looked new and were in excellent condition. Bathroom was similar to kitchen with functional shower and toilet but both had seen better days. The fan in the bathroom comes on with the light and was noisy to the point of being distracting. This place will be a gem when the renovation is completed - I'd like to come back for a stay after that occurs. This hotel is centrally located - you can get to most anywhere in the region within a short 15 minute drive. Easy drive to/from airport.

Room Tip: This is a pet friendly hotel so ask for room away from folks staying with dogs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel, Patrick H. We appreciate you taking the time to give us such an in depth view of your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed our manager's social and were able to fuel up with us each night and morning. We are sorry that you found the rooms to be out dated, but we are happy to announce that we begin our renovation in just two weeks! We hope you will come check out our newly renovated hotel in March.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I booked on priceline last minute (Thursday) for a Friday/Saturday stay and got this hotel for $70! Wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Excellent customer service all the way from front desk to housekeeping. Great breakfast, playground for kids, and just minutes from Riverwalk/Downtown. The suite was huge! With a full kitchen and lots of windows overlooking a green area. Very quite.
The only thing I will say is....DO NOT ORDER FROM THE PIZZA PLACE THAT LEAVES FLIERS UNDER YOUR DOOR!! SCAM ARTISTS AND FOOD WAS NASTY.
I loved this place....but I still don't think I would pay the regular rate of $129-$139 per night. Guess I am just cheap.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn Market Square. We are so pleased to hear you had a wonderful anniversary trip. I am glad you found the playground to be a great additional for the kids. I am also glad to hear you enjoyed the hot breakfast buffet and the large size of our suites. We hope to welcome you and your family back again in the future. Thank you for choosing our hotel!
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have long thought that if you want great guest service, you would need to stay was at Disney or small botique hotels. This was proven wrong this weekend. A friend asked me to join her for a whirlwind visit to San Antonio last week. I booked one of the cheapest quality hotels without really looking at the brand or type and based it on location. Boy, was I surprised. It is, just a hotel, but what set it apart was the great guest service. Their policyof having the front desk or manager of the afternoon shift call to check on guests that were checked in in the morning was awesome as were the gift bags left on the doors of new arrivals AFTER they checked in. The rooms were as good of quality as I would expect from a Marriot brand, but the knowledge, quick service and attention paid by the staff made this stay awesome. I would highly recommend this hotel.A side bonus was that we could get anywhere in town in about 15mins because of its proximity to the highway junctions, yet it was still quiet. Great stay. :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking a moment out of your day to write a review about your experience at the Residence Inn Market Square. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our service and your stay at the hotel. We appreciate you letting us know you enjoyed the call from the front desk clerk, gift bags and convenient downtown location. We hope to have you back with us soon!
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Guest service at this property was great. Especially Jerry, we received exceptional guest service from Jerry from our late check in all through our stay to going above and beyond even on our last night in town. He is a true asset to the property! We would stay there again just because of his excellent guest service and true care for us and our stay. The actual location was close to Riverwalk but some of the surrounding areas left much to be desired. The building itself was in good condition but the interior is definitely in need of an update and change in appliances that do not work properly. Was told that they are going through and update soon and it is definitely needed. Overall a good place to stay. Make sure Jerry is working during your stay... he will make all the difference!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We truly appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed the guest service from Jerry and all of our staff. He is a true asset to our team!

We are renovating our hotel beginning in December 2013. We hope that you will come back to visit once our renovation is complete in March and enjoy our new hotel.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

The location and price for this hotel was superb, and the staff provided me with a complimentary upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite. That being said, it is one of the original Residence Inns and that means a LOT of wear and tear on the property. It is due for some major renovation later this year, which will help. The location puts it within walking distance to all of the major sites downtown, and there is free parking. I would recommend it as a relatively inexpensive alternative for families traveling with children, and who enjoy the walks.

Room Tip: Get a floor high up so you won't hear your upstairs neighbor walking around. One of the major r...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
We appreciate your time in reviewing the Residence Inn Market Square. I am so happy to hear that you found the location and price of our property to be superb. The location and convience of this property cannot be beat as it is just blocks from the River Walk and the Market Square.

As you mentioned, we are undergoing a full renovation beginning in December of this year. Come March, we will have a completely new hotel. We look forward to the opportunity to showing off our new product to you soon!
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 weeks. It was at at just a 10 minutes walk from my client's office.
This is a very good place for extended stays. I stayed in a studio which was very comfortable for 2 people. The beds and pillows are comfortable. The couch was not that firm though. There is only a Pizza hut nearby but the public transport provides good bus connectivity across San Antonio

What I really liked:
1. The service from the staff e.g. I wanted to drop a package at the Post office and the hotel manager promptly drove me to the post office, waited till I was done and dropped me back.

2. The complimentary socials in the evening are really nice to hang around and mingle with other guests. There is a limited offering of food but good range of sodas, beer and wine.

3. There was no frying pan in the otherwise fully equipped kitchen, but they staff promptly got me one after I called them

4. The breakfast is good, waffles being the favorite with kids and adults. But it can get repetitive after a few days

What I did not like:
1. The floor in one part of the room was creaky. I like to walk while I am on the phone and it seemed to have disturbed the people below me

2. The swimming pool is small and just meant for a dip. The gym is also small.

3. No laundry basket in the room. If this is an extended stay hotel, and there are washers and dryers in the hotel, then having a laundry basket would make it so much more convenient. After all, I am not expected to bring my own laundry basket on my trips

I would stay again at this hotel

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your detail review of your wonderful stay at the Residence Inn Market Square. We appreciate the time you spent giving us your honest feedback. We are certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed your expereince at our property including the service and staff, complimentary socials and the hot breakfast buffet. In regards to your coment about laundry baskets, this typically has not been our policy prior. However, I am happy to let you know that we are going to start keeping a few spare laundry baskets at the front desk for long term travelers such as your self. We thank you for this idea. We hope to welcome you back to the Alamo City and Residence Inn Market Square again soon!
Humble, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I'd like to say Jerry at the front desk made my stay enjoyable. This was my second time in San Antonio so I didn't really know any places to go. Jerry was able to recommend some places as well as tell me how to get there. I loved his patience as there were other people coming in and calling for info as well. He was able to take care all of us with ease. I will be coming back. Thank you Marriott for employing great staff.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the excellent review of our staff, especially Jerry! We appreciate your acknowledgement of his hard work and dedication to our team. We are certainly glad to hear that he was able to give you directions to everything the city has to offer. We hope to welcome you back to the Residence Inn Market Square again soon!