“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #34 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Menifee, California
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My Husband and I stayed 2 nights at the downtown Residence Inn because it was very convenient to The Riverwalk, The Alamo and the Mall. Well, it rained that night we got in and into the morning and let up just enough for us to walk the Riverwalk. We enjoyed walking around, but very few restaurants were open that early. Just as we got back to the hotel it started to rain and then really pour down from 11:30 am until wee hours of the night. Any other time it would have been depressing, however, this hotel is sooo nice, clean and comfy that we did not mind the rain at all. We had the studio suite with living room and full kitchen. The best part was the valet parking. Exceptional..You have to pay $24 for Valet or $24 for Self parking. Since it cost the same why not go for Valet. All you had to do was call down and let them know you wanted to leave and your car was waiting for you any time day or night. We had to leave early in the morning around 3am and the car was waiting for us. I was impressed. I wished that they would have had actual room service. What they had was a contracted restaurant that brought you the food, and the minimum delivery was $15. It was rather pricey. So if it's raining that's all you had if you didn't have a car. We ended up driving to Lulus Bakery in the pouring rain for the 3 lb cinnamon Roll and then eating dinner. I would have loved to have stayed longer. I love the Residence Inn. It's like home away from home!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you for the kind response. You reminded us about the huge Lulu's cinammon rolls and we took those to other clients that day. Thank you! Please come back and see us again and let's hope the weather cooperates better. And lastly, thanks for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in the downtown residence inn on our road trip round Texas. I had managed to get a 2 bedroom suite with valet parking for just over $220 per night which is such great value.

The suite is a great size, each bedroom had queen bed, large wardrobe, ensuite bathroom & TV. The lounge had 2 seats, TV, table for 4 and a full size kitchen with large fridge/freezer, stove, oven & microwave. The sofa also converted to double bed.

We didn't realise there was complimentary breakfast & on the first morning (labor day) the breakfast area was mobbed. There was good selection of food, I've never seen so many waffle machines. I do agree with other reviewers that food was going faster than staff could re-stock but I was amazed at the amount of food people were piling on their plates. Especially those taking handful/armful of food back to their rooms. I know the breakfast is free but it was a true gluttony show, must cost the hotel so much!

Location is great, 3min walk to Alamo, 5min walk to river walk. Agree with other reviews that behind the hotel doesn't feel super safe (I live in NYC & have in other major cities). Also, the area in front because of the car parks seemed very quiet at night but during day it's very busy.

I'd definitely recommend this place to people staying in San Antonio if you want some additional amenities.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Scot_in_NL
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your insighful review of your stay at our hotel. Holdiays and busy weekends can contain huge rushes of guests at one time for our complimentary breakfast. We usually receive compliments on how we handle these busy bursts of guests but at times we can get behind and for that I do apologize. These rushes are usually followed or preceeded by relative calm. Additionally, we have a couple of tables that are poolside just outside our breakast area that are, in my opinion, the best seats in the house if the weather is cooperating. I certainly thank you for your review and endorsement of our hotel. Please come back and visit us on a "saner" weekend. Safe travels to you and your family!
Gilmer, Texas, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for about 2 &1/2 months on a work assignment. It was absolutely perfect. The staff are friendly & helpful. The room, dining area & lobby are exceptionally clean. It is very convenient to the River Walk & a safe walk. I loved having the full size fridge. Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Nichole F, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we loved having you. Please come back and see us agian when you are in town!

Nichole Flatt
Assistant General Manager
Azle, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We only stayed her for one night, but would have loved to spend all of our three night stay here. We arrived at about 3:00 and managed to get an early check in no problem. We had the two room suite that also contained a full kitchen and living room. It was my three sisters and I traveling with our kids so it was fabulous.

The hotel was very clean, and smelled fresh and clean and had nice music playing throughout. All of the staff I encountered from front desk to the maids, were so pleasant and helpful.

You do have to pay 26 to valet park, but this was not a problem as you are in walking distance to the River Walk. The back of the Alamo property is like a block and a half away. It is the perfect location for all the sight seeing downtown.

The breakfast had much to offer. We did not get down there until about 30min til it ended and it was very crowded and there was only one girl working to keep everything restocked, but she was doing her best with a smile on. We ended up taking our food up to our room to eat.

I will definitely stay at this property in future visits to San Antonio.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank terri E
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for the kind review and also, thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I also thank you for your observation regarding parking. Parking is a premium in most urban markets (San Antonio included) and due to that fact, trying to find parking at other downtown locations is going to be at a cost and normally not very convenient. If you can walk, do walk. We have a great Riverwalk and an increasingly great street level with attractions and restaurants. I apologize for the end of breakfast service let down. That is not how it should work and I will work to correct it. Breakfast can at some times become insanely busy but normal comments from our guests are about how well we handle it and keep items fresh and stocked with a table clean and waiting. We have had a few service failures lately on this front and I will be working to make certain breakfast is consistent for all of our open hours (M-F 6:30 AM until 9:30 AM and Saturday, Sunday and holidays 7 AM until 10 AM). Thanks again and please come back to explore all that this great city has to offer.
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The positives:
Very nicely renovated. I really like the new, modern decor. I saw photos on TripAdvisor of the rooms prior to the renovation, and what a great improvement!

The location being just blocks from the Alamo and Riverwalk was very convenient.

Residence Inn properties are the go-to hotels for our family. I like that there are real 1BR suites, and not just studio suites. We prefer suites with a separate bedroom with a door that closes. These doors were split doors and one did not close easily in our room, but at least we had doors.

My children love that the kitchens are stocked with a bag of microwave popcorn.

I thought the room price was very good for a downtown hotel.

The negatives:
I didn't mind paying $24/day for parking in a downtown situation. I've paid much more than that in Chicago. What really bothered me is that self-parking and valet parking are the same price. I have no idea how they can justify charging self parkers the same amount as valet. Self parking should be cheaper than valet. The other issue we had with parking is that the hotel's garage is very, very small. The first and third floors of the garage are reserved for valet, so only the second floor is available for self-parkers. This amounts to only a very small number of spots. We stayed at the hotel for four nights, and for three of those nights we couldn't park in the garage. The overflow parking is an open parking lot on the block behind the hotel. This seems to be on the cusp of what appears to be a not-so-great area. I did not feel like the lot was secure, there were homeless people walking around inside the lot, as well as others. We spent each day out and about and did not return to the hotel until after 9:00 p.m. every night, and I would not have felt comfortable walking from the parking lot to the hotel by myself at night. Thankfully my husband and children were with me. I've lived in Chicago and NYC and other cities, so I'm not afraid of big cities and downtowns, but I did not like the parking situation as an obvious tourist with out of state plates.

The swimming pool was a joke. I have never seen a hotel pool so small. The photos make it look bigger than it really is and do not give you a good idea of how small the pool really is. And one day while we were there at the pool was closed with no reason posted or information on when it would reopen.

I was surprised that the bathroom did not have body lotion and/or body wash stocked. We only were given shampoo and conditioner each day. It wasn't until after we returned home that I saw on TripAdvisor photos of the toiletries and both lotion and shower gel were in the photo, but we did not have those put in our room on any of the four days we were there. Had I realized they were supposed to have been included, I would have asked for them.

The seating area for the free breakfast buffet is small for as large as the hotel is, and the mornings were so crowded. We had a hard hard time finding a table, and it was so crowded where the food was. The staff had a hard time keeping up with replenishing, as every time I went up, there would be something out. One cereal bin was empty about 10 minutes before closing time, and I kept waiting for it to be refilled, and it never was.

Overall, this was still a very nice and clean property with good rooms and a good downtown location.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank S P
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for writing this review on trip advisor. You make some very salient points that definitely deserve a thoughtful response.

Until about 3 years ago, this hotel enjoyed a wide array of parking options for downtown visitors and hotel guests. Being a little cynical here, but most of those vacant lots have been replaced with hotels (without parking garages). Thus, parking was not a problem for any hotels unless they were right on the Riverwalk. The Residence Inn Alamo Plaza was constructed in 1997 (with a $6 million dollar renovation in 2012) with 220 suites (33 of those being two bedroom) and a parking garage with 110 spaces. With regulation on accessible parking that has been deminished to 106 spaces. During peak summer months, the car to room ratio sometimes is not just 50% drive in traffic but can sometimes be greater than one car per room. To eliminate the issue of not having anywhere to park, we have secured the services of a valet company to always provide a parking option for our guests. The reason for the same price is to give our guests the option to valet when necessary and self-park when available. Our long term guests (Residences Inn's target market) made it clear that this option was desired. The amount of valet spots changes with occupancy due to that usage. I will contiune to attempt to fine tune that ratio. The attendants will always assist our guests.

I apologize for the size of the pool. The photography although flatering does not employ fisheye lenses but I do see your point. I have taken a similar picture (not as staged) with my own camera phone from the same perspective. I have addressed the size of the pool in a previous review response. This is a common issue with urban hotels. It appears that we have been failing to provide lotion in the rooms as it is a new Residence Inn brand standard. I will remedy this and get that in the rooms, currently it is available upon request. The bodywash is an optional component and will be available upon request from the front desk. Our breakfast seating area as 99 fixed seats with some expandability due to bench and additional seating. The most wonderful seating (in my opinion) is the two tables beside the pool which are very underutiized in full house situations. You caught us at our worst in that items were not restocked promptly on the beffet and I will address that issue. Thanks again for the thourgoughness of this TripAdvisor review and I do apologize for this lengthy response.
Blackshear, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Our trip was to see our daughter graduate BMT AIR FORCE! Our stay was from 7/24/13 to 7/29/13. The location was close to the Riverwalk where all the attractions could be found. We were very pleased with the rooms they were very clean and spacious. We enjoyed having a frig and microwave from leftover food. Breakfast was wonderful in the morning . Fresh fruit, waffles, eggs, ect. We really looked forward to breakfast everyday! All the employees were very nice and willing to help with directions. We were very impressed with front desk person named Deanna. She was awesome! You could tell that she loves her job! Stay here, and you will not be disappointed. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tammy W
Congratulations to your daughter and by extension you on her US Air Force Basic Training graduation! We get the privilege of hosting many armed forces personnel during stays, trainings, and graduations in San Antonio. It is an honor! I am very appreciative that you chose to stay with us as well as you took the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We have ordered a Marriott Spriit to Serve Award for Deanna in recognition of her positive mention in your review. We will also be recognizing her for her hospitality skills in tomorrow's "stand up" meeting. Again, thank you! If and when travels bring you back to San Antonio, please choose again to stay with us.
Georgia, USA
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed one night for business and was very pleased. This Residence Inn looks it's a new hotel (super clean, modern furniture and spotless bathroom). But I asked and learned it was actually not new, only totally renovated in April 2012. The bottom line: I felt like I was staying at a brand new place.
The rooms are spacious, with full kitchen (like all R.I.).
WiFi is free and quite fast. Service was very good. So was breakfast.
Although well located downtown (walking distance to the downtown restaurants + easy access by car from a nearby freeway), it was quiet.
I visit San Antonio several times a year for business and have stayed different places. From now on, I'll stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor and on the courtyard side (such as 1318, 1320, 1322) are very quiet