Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #39 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“It was OK.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We' stayed at a lot of Marriotts and like the Residence Inn the most. Upscale, nice, comfy rooms, breakfast and sometimes happy hours. This place didn't disappoint but not one of my favorites. I didn't like the location- located in the middle of parking lots nor the nightclub next door. Quick but dark walk to the Alamo at night. I thought the desk staff seemed cold not really interested in you. No personal safes in the rooms and they have a 13th floor! I would've rented a car but at $24/night it was cheaper to take a cab.

Room Tip: No personal room safes. They actually have rooms on the 13th floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza on TripAdvisor. As we strive to be much better than average, we are embarrassed that we did not meet or exceed these expectations. I will work with my desk staff to make certain that other guests are treated with aggressive hospitality as this has been our hallmark in the past. I called around to my competitive select service and extended stay hotels and in-room safes are a rarity in San Antonio. I know that our full service brothers and sisters for the most part do have them. We do have the normal safe deposit boxes at the front desk. You make a very valid point that we have a 13th floor (but no rooms that end in 13). Superstition wise (so I hear) is that it is ok to have a 13th floor as long as it is the top floor. When AT&T had its national corporate offices here in downtown San Antonio, it's executive floor was (and was labeled) as the 13th floor. Again, I apologize that your stay was not a great one as that is our goal.

Please come back to San Antonio!

Dusty Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

While preparing to write this review I went over the things I liked about this hotel and they had a ringing similarity with things I liked about a couple of other hotels I have stayed in. Then it hit me - they were downtown Residence Inns I had stayed in over the years in other cities. So maybe what I am about to write is redundant. but it deserves to be said over and over until people get it.

Downtown San Antonio is not like most American cities in that the tall buildings that make up the city centre don't house financial institutions,oil companies or insurance providers, but rather hotels, all of which are there because of the Alamo, which is lost amidst their presence. I had no idea that tourism was so big in this city - it's like a giant Niagara Falls, with a legendary mission and the Riverwalk instead of the falls. If you are not staying at one of the Texas Hill country resorts like La Cantera or the J.W.Marriott then you want to be in one those hotels surrounding the tiny little Alamo.

So which one? Well you could stay in one of the real high rises where you'll mostly likely get a small room, expensive wifi, no fridge, but maybe a mini bar and a big bill. These are aimed primarily at conventioneers and unless you are one, I'd look elsewhere. There are some decent historic hotels, but again they usually suffer from small room syndrome. These are great places to visit the bar, but staying there might not be the best choice. Why not try a place that offers large bedrooms, a separate living area, a complete kitchen facility, free wifi and this is where the Residence Inn leaves the rest in the dust like the roadrunners you'll see on the golf courses here - really decent full breakfasts and full evening meals included with complimentary beer and wine. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not. The Residence Inn delivers value that is off the charts for families, buddy trips (my group had four two bedroom suites, each with its own separate bedroom and bathroom - no worries about snorers) and just about anyone who doesn't need the snob appeal of a 'name' hotel.

The staff was very friendly, especially food servers and front desk, location is great and the area is quiet. Only add on price wise was the $24/ night parking fee, but all the hotels seemed to have that. One day the cleaning service arrived very late in the day, but that was small beer compared to everything else.

Room Tip: A two bedroom would be perfect for a family with children.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank maritimeexplorer
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
What an insightful review... I went back and looked at your last 5 reviews and if your not in the travel advocacy business, you should be! Thank you so much for staying with us while in San Antonio and it was a pleasure serving you and your golf group. On behalf of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, I would like to apologize for the inclement weather you experienced during part of your stay. The farmers, ranchers, gardeners (heck, anyone with a lawn) enjoyed it though. Please come back to our city and visit and review more of our attractions. I will be using your reviews in converstations with guests because... spot on!

Thanks again for the review and for staying with us! Safe travels!

El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

The title says it all. Never have I had a wonderful place to stay like the Residence Inn located in downtown San Antonio. Just steps from the historical Alamo and famous Riverwalk this hotel truly has the best location at the best price. I enjoyed the delicious breakfast, dinner, wine, and most importantly a caring staff that made the experience that much better! Thank you so much for this wonderful experience and I look forward to staying at your hotel in the future!

Room Tip: The top floors have the best views of the city.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Efrain J
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing this very kind review. We look forward to serving you in the future. Serving guests here in "Military City USA" is and honor for all of us. We have the pleasure of serving numerous uniformed service members each day from all branches of the military as well as other government departments. This is an honor and I trust that my staff thanked you for your service to our Country. Thank you again for the review and please come back soon to explore even more of what this really neat city has to offer.

Pine City, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed at your Hotel for our High School class reunion and our stay was fabulous.The room was excellent,we had a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen 2 queen beds,huge TV,EXCELLENT,best hotel room we've ever had anywhere!!!!!Will highly recommend!!Staff is excellent,location to attractions excellent,just a few blocks from Riverwalk,Alamo and Alamo Plaza..The breakfast that was offered daily was fantastic!!Cannot say enough wonderful things about this Hotel and staff,and the price was reasonable.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you so much for this kind review and we can't thank you and your group enough for choosing our hotel to host your reunion. The comments posted from your group are most appreciated and it was truly a pleasure serving all of you. Your group has gone down in the lore of our hotel as one of the favorite groups. When talking to my staff, they always say great things about you all. I still can't get over how your attendance was so great! I hope that you have many more great reunions and that a future one includes San Antonio and our hotel. I realize that you are all, for the most part, world travels and to hear that San Antonio was a great city to visit is as wonderful as hearing that the hotel exceeded your expectations.

Thanks again!

Friendswood, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My 4 day stay was absolutely the best stay at any hotel/motel ever! I would certainly return and recommend to anyone staying in San Antonio. The staff routinely goes out of their way to help with anything they can. My high school class had a reunion with a few gliches in plans but the staff at the Mariott pitched right in and problems solved. My room was great, slept good very comfortable clean bed and a room with plenty of space didnt trip over suitcase with every move! Always hot water, fabulous hot breakfast with plenty of variety and eating space with room to visit. Distance to river walk was reasonable with easy hotel parking. The staff was so pleasant, helpful, courteous and totally in tune for guest service. I enjoyed my stay!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor. It was truly a pleasure hosting your class reunion. You all had a great turnout and what a great group of people. Please come back and see us at your earliest convenience. Also, thank you for pointing out the proximity of our hotel to all the action of San Antonio.

Mount Vernon, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had a wonderful time at your hotel for our high school reunion group! All of us met every morning, before the activities in the breakfast room to have a delicious hot or cold breakfast--you provided almost anything for breakfast anyone would like. During the day, your staff was courteous, and extremely helpful with any request we, or our reunion coordinators had. At night we met in the large, clean, hospitality room, to talk about our day, give each other a hard time, etc. When it came time for bed, our room was cozy and comfy, with lots of room for our computers, and other essentials. Thank you and your staff for a wonderful stay! We couldn't have asked for more!

Room Tip: The ice machine is on the 3rd floor, and the guest laundry is on the 4th floor. Each are easy to fin...
1 Thank MargaretH01
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thanks for staying with us and for writing this kind review on Trip Advisor. It was truly a pleasure hosting your group at our hotel for your class reunion. You all need to come back soon and experience even more of what San Antonio has to offer. Again, Thank you so much!

Kalamazoo, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a reunion and could not have been more impressed. Everything was first class. The room was great, the space for the group was perfect, the service from the staff was wonderful, and the breakfast was a real plus. The location could not have been better. We were there for 4 nights and can't wait to go back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you so much for this very, very kind review. It was a pleasure hosting your group and we can not wait to do it again. Thank you for staying with us!