“Residence Inn San Antonio by the Alamo/Riverwalk”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #34 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Toronto, Canada
“Residence Inn San Antonio by the Alamo/Riverwalk”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We just stayed 4 days at this hotel and wish to let people know we had a great experience. It was a 4 min walk to the alamo and less than 8 min walk to riverwalk and in the hub of hop on/hop off. Great location but even better staff at the hotel were fantastic - extremely friendly and we were always asked if we are having a good time and if there was anything we needed. Issy was adorable and very pleasant to talk to and very passionate about his job at this hotel. Free breakfast/internet suited us well. Very clean and comfortable and would not hesitate recommending it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank janetmcdonald1
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your kind review and for mentioning Issy by name! He will be publicly recognized for this and awarded a certificate for his Spirit to Serve our guests. He is a great part of our team here. Also, it was great talking to you and the rest of your party. Having you compliment us while knowing of your worldly travels means a great deal to all of us. Please come back and see us again. Keep traveling!

Dusty Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2013

First off, this is our second consecutive stay at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza in two years. Last year my wife and two daughters stayed here and likewise they stayed here this year during the San Antonio Rock in Roll Marathon. The reason for staying at this hotel is simply great customer service, extremely clean rooms, and an outstanding breakfast available each morning. I want to cite two hotel employees who went out of their way to make sure our stay was perfect. First, George checked us in and checked us out. He was professional, courteous, and very helpful which certainly contributed to our enjoyable stay over the weekend. Then there was Tammy. Tammy remembered us from last years stay and made a point to say hi and offer any assistance that we needed during this stay. The Residence Inn Alamo Plaza is by far at the top of our list for hotels that goes the extra mile to make sure their customers are well taken care of. The difference here is the people working at the front desk and out front with the Valet Service. Great location puts an exclamation point on The Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. Close to the River Walk, River Center Mall, and the Alamo makes this a hotel stop that you don't want to miss when in San Antonio. Thanks again to George, Tammy and the entire hotel staff for stepping out and leading the way in customer service. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. We had a two bedroom suite which was more than large enough for our stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank tejas4us
Thank you for this kind and complete review of the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. Thank you for also pointing out George and Tammy... they will be recognized publicly for your mentioning them by name. We love to see these reviews on TripAdvisor, again, thank you! Having the Rock and Roll Marathon pass right in front of the hotel was such a blast this year. Having families and friends of runners pull up lawn chairs and watch the festivities from our front sidewalk was so heart warming also. We all had a blast serving all of you and hope to see you again next year. On behalf of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, we would like to apologize for such a warm day :). The race will be held on December 7th in 2014, so the chances are better of a cooler day for running.

By the way, we had a few cases of bananas left over so we have been making a lot of banana bread and delivering it to our neighbors!

Thanks for staying with us for both years and here's to making it a trifecta! Stay safe!

Van Vleck, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Wow! Where do I begin? Upon driving up (and they were busy), immediately greeted by the valet attendant around 3 p.m. He got our cart for luggage, I checked in at the front desk, process was prompt, staff was nice, polite and courteous. Room was ready 2bdrm/2bath. Went to expo to pick up our race packets, went to dinner on riverwalk and came back to a comfortable room. Housekeeping staff very friendly and made sure we had plenty of towels for our showers the next day. Hotel accommodated the runners with an early morning breakfast and also with a later check out. Thank you so much for making this a memorable trip for me and my family. We all could not believe how great the hotel accommodated our stay! What a pleasant surprise.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for this kind review. The 2013 Rock and Roll Marathon was so much fun to host and being on the 0.8 mile marker was a blast! This is the first time since the first San Antonio Rock and Roll Marathon that it passed right in front of the hotel (which of couse was a blessing as well as a curse). Bonham Street was cleared and it looked like nothing had happened by 9:30 AM. Please come back next year and the date moved to December 7. We are hoping for some cooler weather! Thanks for staying with us.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Most friendly, helpful and professional hotel staff and management I have seen in US.

I spent a week at the hotel for a conference in the convention center. I am very happy with the experience. The hotel staff and management are the most friendly, helpful and professional I have seen in US.

The room was spacious with sparkling kitchen area and large functional desk. The bed comfortable with all white beddings including spread of the kind that are changed with every guest.

The breakfast buffet abundant and complete with lots of fresh fruit, even plenty of raspberries!

Location is excellent within walking distance of convention center and downtown attractions. Taxis near and available. Informal shuttle service very flexible and accommodating. Saved me from being late in one occasion!

I will definitely come back!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you very much for this kind review and thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. We did enjoy hosting you as well as your convention. We certainly hope that you come back soon. There is a lot of San Antonio to see and please come back for a purely leisure vacation.

Thanks again!

Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have stayed at Residence Inn Downtown Alamo, San Antonio. The hotel was very nice and the front desk people are friendly. Its very near to the most attractive places to visit in San Antonio. Excellent service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you for this kind review and thank you for staying with us. I will pass on your comments to our entire staff. We certainly appreciate such positive feedback. Please come back and see us in San Antonio soon.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We' stayed at a lot of Marriotts and like the Residence Inn the most. Upscale, nice, comfy rooms, breakfast and sometimes happy hours. This place didn't disappoint but not one of my favorites. I didn't like the location- located in the middle of parking lots nor the nightclub next door. Quick but dark walk to the Alamo at night. I thought the desk staff seemed cold not really interested in you. No personal safes in the rooms and they have a 13th floor! I would've rented a car but at $24/night it was cheaper to take a cab.

Room Tip: No personal room safes. They actually have rooms on the 13th floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza on TripAdvisor. As we strive to be much better than average, we are embarrassed that we did not meet or exceed these expectations. I will work with my desk staff to make certain that other guests are treated with aggressive hospitality as this has been our hallmark in the past. I called around to my competitive select service and extended stay hotels and in-room safes are a rarity in San Antonio. I know that our full service brothers and sisters for the most part do have them. We do have the normal safe deposit boxes at the front desk. You make a very valid point that we have a 13th floor (but no rooms that end in 13). Superstition wise (so I hear) is that it is ok to have a 13th floor as long as it is the top floor. When AT&T had its national corporate offices here in downtown San Antonio, it's executive floor was (and was labeled) as the 13th floor. Again, I apologize that your stay was not a great one as that is our goal.

Please come back to San Antonio!

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

While preparing to write this review I went over the things I liked about this hotel and they had a ringing similarity with things I liked about a couple of other hotels I have stayed in. Then it hit me - they were downtown Residence Inns I had stayed in over the years in other cities. So maybe what I am about to write is redundant. but it deserves to be said over and over until people get it.

Downtown San Antonio is not like most American cities in that the tall buildings that make up the city centre don't house financial institutions,oil companies or insurance providers, but rather hotels, all of which are there because of the Alamo, which is lost amidst their presence. I had no idea that tourism was so big in this city - it's like a giant Niagara Falls, with a legendary mission and the Riverwalk instead of the falls. If you are not staying at one of the Texas Hill country resorts like La Cantera or the J.W.Marriott then you want to be in one those hotels surrounding the tiny little Alamo.

So which one? Well you could stay in one of the real high rises where you'll mostly likely get a small room, expensive wifi, no fridge, but maybe a mini bar and a big bill. These are aimed primarily at conventioneers and unless you are one, I'd look elsewhere. There are some decent historic hotels, but again they usually suffer from small room syndrome. These are great places to visit the bar, but staying there might not be the best choice. Why not try a place that offers large bedrooms, a separate living area, a complete kitchen facility, free wifi and this is where the Residence Inn leaves the rest in the dust like the roadrunners you'll see on the golf courses here - really decent full breakfasts and full evening meals included with complimentary beer and wine. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not. The Residence Inn delivers value that is off the charts for families, buddy trips (my group had four two bedroom suites, each with its own separate bedroom and bathroom - no worries about snorers) and just about anyone who doesn't need the snob appeal of a 'name' hotel.

The staff was very friendly, especially food servers and front desk, location is great and the area is quiet. Only add on price wise was the $24/ night parking fee, but all the hotels seemed to have that. One day the cleaning service arrived very late in the day, but that was small beer compared to everything else.

Room Tip: A two bedroom would be perfect for a family with children.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank maritimeexplorer
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
What an insightful review... I went back and looked at your last 5 reviews and if your not in the travel advocacy business, you should be! Thank you so much for staying with us while in San Antonio and it was a pleasure serving you and your golf group. On behalf of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, I would like to apologize for the inclement weather you experienced during part of your stay. The farmers, ranchers, gardeners (heck, anyone with a lawn) enjoyed it though. Please come back to our city and visit and review more of our attractions. I will be using your reviews in converstations with guests because... spot on!

Thanks again for the review and for staying with us! Safe travels!