“Excellent stay!”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #43 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My family stayed here last week and we had a wonderful time. The location of the hotel was great - just minutes from the Alamo and Riverwalk. The rooms were clean and spacious, and the staff was super friendly and attentive. It was so nice to have valet parking and not have to worry about where to put our rental car. Each time we needed the car it was ready very promptly, including when we had to leave for the airport well before dawn. The breakfast was fantastic - my kids loved the chocolate muffins and my husband enjoyed all the hot meal choices. The pool was smaller than I thought it would be but absolutely perfect for my children because it was only 3 - 3.5 feet in depth. I had stayed on the Riverwalk before and was initially a little skeptical of staying a few blocks away, but my concerns were quickly alleviated. This was a great choice of hotel for my family, and again, easy to get to all the attractions without being right on top of them.

2  Thank ERSK416
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear ERSK416:

Thank you so much for this kind review! I feel that your comments were spot on. I feel like you captured and exposed the secret of our location. Not on the Riverwalk, but as close as you might want to be. As the first compliment I think we have gotten about our pool, I so very much thank you! You captured the secret on that too. Pools in urban hotels are normally small and sometimes just plain absent. The pool is in fact small and shallow, but provides a place to get the kids wet and lounge around. Thanks for staying with us and I hope that your review is read by lots of Trip Advisor guests.

Thank you again for everything!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were a family of 4 with grown children. The hotel was located in a perfect spot. The staff was so accommodating - the most pleasant staff I've experienced at just about any hotel I've ever stayed at. The breakfast was great -- loved the Texas shaped waffles! The beds were so comfortable :) Everything we needed was taken care of. The lovely Front Desk lady (oh, I feel so bad for forgetting her name) gave me her Fiesta pin from her lapel as a gift. That was so touching to me. Thank you, again! And, I only have nice words to say about George. Lots of luck in your hospitality career!

Dear jlio3:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review on the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza and thank for the 5 star vote of confidence. Glad to hear that you found the staff accommodating. What a nice statement! I will make sure that George sees your comments and I will find out who you met with at the front desk.

Again, thank you so much! Also, thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We were part of three couples who spent four nights at the Residence Inn just last week. The hotel had everything we were looking for and more! The best part of the visit was the staff - all (especially the front desk) were extremely polite, accommodating, and personable. We asked for suggestions numerous times as to restaurants, directions, etc, and always were given great advice. The two women working during the day (wish I had gotten their names!) joked with our group every time we saw them, making us feel very welcome.
The location of the hotel is perfect - just far enough from the Riverwalk so that it is not noisy or congested, but still a quick walk to all the restaurants. Getting on and off the highway was easy, too.
Although another reviewer cited "dated" rooms, ours was modern and very clean. Perhaps they're re-doing rooms a floor at a time. The appliances were stainless steel and having the kitchenette was a nice bonus.
The morning breakfast was definitely above average and always fully stocked. The only suggestion would be to add bacon to the mix. During the week there was a cocktail hour with complimentary beer and box wine, along with a snack. Again, a nice bonus.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and will probably seek out Residence Inns in other cities based on how nice the San Antonio facility is. Keep up the great work!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear LoveRedWine1107:

Thank you very much for staying with us and I can not thank you enough for wriing this review. It was a pleaseure serving you and the rest of your group. Please come back soon. Thank you for your perspective on the "dated rooms" item. Our hotel was completely renovated and turned back to us in April of 2012. The entire hotel has the same new marble counter tops, new soft goods furniture, new carpet etc. The hotel did maintain some of the older solid oak furniture in some room types, that was retoned and renewed. It is our goal to keep this hotel in great shape and keep reinvesting to make it great. Again, thank you for your comment there. It is a battle keeping up with breakfast on busy days and we do usually win. The honest reason that you don't see bacon on our buffet is the cost (not per slice, but what can become per portion). We do offer eggs and sausage and other varietal items on a daily basis.

Again, thank you for the review. We will keep attempting to give the 5 star service that you ranked us!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The location was around the corner from the Alamo and 5 minutes walk to Riverwalk - ideal!
The staff was pleasant, even had the Easter Bunny come and hide some eggs/candy/toys for the children.
Food was typical of Residence Inn breakfasts - we enjoyed the Texas shaped waffles and no food ran out while we were there.
The pool was small and the towels were small and worn out.
The rooms were dated and materials cheap but this is typical of Residence Inn
$24 plus tax parking was excessive

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear yippyskippy092:

Thank you for staying with us over the Easter holiday at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. Glad to hear that you had pleasant interactions with the staff and saw the effort of hiding Easter candy for the children. As we were full with families, it is great to hear that we kept up with the breakfast rush. Thank you for the input and I will address the issues that you list. The hotel had a complete renovation that ended in the Spring of 2012. During this renovation, most everything with the exception of the solid hardwood furniture was replaced. I will make certain that we are keeping the property from becoming dated. Our parking charge of $24 per night is on the low end of the spectrum for parking charges in downtown San Antonio hotels. I hope that the valet staff or your self parking experience was satisfactory.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this location for two weeks. Location could not have been any better. As someone who stays almost exclusively at Hilton properties this place was great. From a few happy hours a week to the breakfast the effort put into catering to customers was second to none. The gym facilities are decent and the pool was great to relax by after a long day. Next time in town I will pick this paces to stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Nichole F, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you so much for your great feedback of our hotel! We appreciate your kind words and look forward to serving you again the next time you are in town!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I really enjoyed seeing the staff greet and talk to people as guests enter the breakfast area. Most of the time you see staff hide in the back either gossiping or eating food themselves. Everything else was what you expect from a Residence Inn. The hotel is close to everything but just not in the heart of everything which was fine for me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Glen H:

Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza and thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. Your description of our location is, in my opinion, spot on. One block to the Alamo, 2 blocks to the River Walk, and 3 blocks from the Convention Center as well as easy access to Highway 281, Interstate 10, Interstate 35, and Interstate 37 makes our location ideal. Not on the Riverwalk, but oh so close. Thanks for pointing out our attempt at keeping a managment staff presence during peak times. I hope that we were able to assist.

Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

About a block from the Alamo. And a few minutes more to the river walk. So less expensive. No restaurants nearby, but plenty at river walk and surrounding area. We had a car so could drive to sites etc. clean, very nice staff and good complimentary breakfast. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the city