“Very minor complaints, overall a great stay and would repeat”

Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #57 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 25 November 2010

I was born and raised in San Antonio. Having said that, I didn't get to actually stay in hotels downtown frequently growing up. Why would you? You live there. However, this trip was different. I was taking my fiance down to SA to meet my family for the first time. Additionally, it was my birthday weekend, and we wanted to share special memories together.

Check in was fantastic--easy, simple, fast. We called ahead and were told our room was already ready at 10:00am. A great plus! The lobby and entryway is beautiful. We were warmly greeted and given our keys. We head up to the room and absolutely love it. The hotel and room was roomy, airy, trendy, updated, accommodating, cozy, comfortable, and fun. The beds were very relaxing. The room had a cute and modern bar/mini fridge area. Desk, large flat screen tv, plenty of space for two. And, I like my bathrooms to be spotless! I am a freak about that stuff. Thank GOD and the heavens, this bathroom was spotless and cute. Good size shower and bathroom, plenty of room for two people to get ready at once, which, if you and your partner are like me and mine, happens all the time.

We also spent some time at the hotel lobby. After a long day of entertaining family and all that jazz, we were both spent. But, being my birthday, the Mr. wanted to grab a few celebratory drinks. The bar is very cute! (As is the pool, but it was closed by the time we'd discovered it.) I popped a few delicious vodka martinis and he had a few select beers. The beer selection was pretty good, nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing lacking either. The service was pretty good, but the bartender did seem a bit preoccupied. However, it was late at night and he was about to close up in less than an hour. We felt slightly rushed, but not hurried out the bar. This is a minor complaint, really.

The only other things that prevent me from giving it a top score would be the location, the parking, and no lock-box/in-room safe. Having lived in Chicago, then LA, I was really looking forward to coming back home and enjoying free/"free" parking. Unfortunately, parking was across the street and about $15/day. When we came back at night to park, the lot was almost completely full. We got one of maaaaybe two spots left in the entire area. I say area and not lot because the lot was so full that the cars seemed to expand into another section where cars were having to make up spots, sort of speak. A hotel attendant actually rode his bike from the hotel to the end of the lot (where we parked) to show us where to a spot. Not so great when you're walking late at night, especially with luggage/items. Ah, location. Location is pretty good, but you're on one end of the Riverwalk, and almost everything else is down by the other end. Still, you're in a decent location. A bit dark as far as street lighting is concerned and there are the usual unsavory suspects downtown, but it was a good price for the location and there is a patio right on the Riverwalk. Walking alone, I'd probably be more paranoid. But walking in pairs/with others, you should be fine. Admittedly, it was a bit of a healthy hike to get from one end to the other for dinner and drinks, but it's doable. Lastly, I was rather surprised that there was not an in-room safe. For one, you are in a high tourist area downtown. Two, I consider those standard for all hotels now. And, three, I simply REALLY needed one that night. For my birthday/engagement/wedding present, my mom passed down a couple family pieces of jewelry. I felt very uneasy with no safe. Luckily, I only had the items at night, while we were in the room to sleep, and then left the next morning. The items were never left alone, but if you're cautious and paranoid like me, I'm sure you can relate to the uneasy feelings on this one.

Overall, good stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luvlifelivtravel
There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk

Reviewed 6 November 2010

Fun little hotel in area of extended river walk. Rooms are cute and funky. Great shower! Hotel staff are friendly and accomodating. Don't stay in a room off of the lobby. Wooden floors echo everytime someone walks down the hallway. Had to move rooms for my parents due to noise, but desk staff accomodated the move without hesitation. Overall, would recommend this place. Could be a fun, romantic get-away for the weekend!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My wife and I had the absolute misfortune of staying at the Hotel Indigo on a recent visit to San Antonio to see our son, who is in the Air Force. We come regularly and usually stay on the Riverwalk. We had walked down the riverwalk on Saturday, returning very late, sometime after midnight, with no problems. However, on Sunday, we did the same thing and returned to find the gate locked from the riverwalk back into the hotel. My son and I jumped the gate into the patio area, in an attempt to contact someone to get my wife through the gate.

This is where the nightmare began. We ran into a man named Javier, who is the nighttime front desk attendant. He told us he would not open the gate. We explained to him we were staying in the hotel and didn't know what to do to get my wife back inside. He said we would have to walk around, and flat out refused to accommodate us. Extremely upset at this point, I had to jump back over the fence to take my wife down and around, about a block to get to the front of the hotel, where Javier then refused to open the front door. Having expressed my frustration with his policy and refusal to help us as I walked around apparently upset Javier. (Yes I was yelling about his policy and the hotel, using a fair share of profanity, but I was back over the fence and on my walk around the block at that point, no where near Javier)

When my son let us in through the front door (he had remained inside the hotel), Javier told us he called the police and we needed to leave the hotel. I explained to Javier that we were staying through Tuesday, and he told me we weren't anymore. We would have to check out immediately.

Main problems as we see it:

-Javier should never be left unattended to deal with guests in any way. He is in the hospitality industry after all. He should be made aware of that.

-We did NOT receive any hotel information on check-in and there wasn't any in our room. We had no idea of any of the hotel amenities, including riverwalk access hours, etc. We looked for it and sought it out the next morning. We could not find anything in our room or posted in the common areas of the hotel. (We had no problem the night before, so we didn't expect a problem on Sunday)

-Even though there is a policy in place (that wasn't communicated to any of us upon check-in), occasionally an exception should be considered, when simply unlocking the gate to let my wife through would have taken considerably less time than his alternative.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank snyder1306
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I was a little skeptical of a hotel that will take pets and not charge for their stay. Much to my surprise, the room was immaculate as were the common areas of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only downside is where this hotel is located. It is a little walk to the Riverwalk and it isn't in the nicest part of town. Many homeless people in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Hotel is very nice. All the people are very friendly and helpful. Hotel car park is a little expensive ($14/day), as it is about a 15 minute walk from the main tourist areas where the car parking seemed less expensive. The walk is OK during the day but I preferred to take a cab later in the evening but this might just be me!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk made our stay a wonderful experience. We went to San Antonio for a wedding. There were numerous families who stayed at the hotel and we did not hear one of our parties complain. Will definitely stay there again. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2010

The first attempt to Stay at Hotel Indigo was ended due to overbooking. However, Roy did an excellent job relocating us that evening and even offered us a free night on our return visit. Thank you for the hospitality! However on our next visit, after seeing such an updated hip lobby, our room was a complete let down. The balcony had trash all over it, the bathroom was offensive! Shower was filthy and there were hairs in the folded bath towels. I'm afraid had we not been absolutely exhausted we would had left that evening.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family