“Good hotel with excellent staff”

Best Western Alamo Suites
Ranked #91 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Derbyshire England
“Good hotel with excellent staff”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We arrived here last September for a three night stay. A very big clean room with everything we needed including a welcome fan!! The hotel provided a great breakfast with a 24 hour coffee machine. A member of staff showed me how to make my first waffle – in the shape of Texas!! There was a safe in reception and a free newspaper.
San Antonio was walkable although after the first visit we took the Trolley bus into town. It ran from 9am until 9pm for only $1.20 ($5 for a day pass) and the stop was only a five minutes’ walk from the hotel. We didn’t use our car all the time we stayed here. A pizza place was the only food outlet quite nearby but it was good and handy. The indoor pool and Jacuzzi were good. The only downside was the “hit and miss” maid service and the fact that the laundry was only open between 6 and 10 in the evening. The use of a laundry was important to us as we were touring for four weeks. We were usually out during these hours.
The staff was friendly but we really have to make a special mention about Vanessa. She went well above and beyond to give us excellent service. She knew that our next stop was the Best Western at Port Aransas and was concerned about Hurricane Ingrid. She actually telephoned ahead to check on what was happening around Port Aransas. When we left she provided us with water and biscuits for our long journey. This was the friendliest member of staff we met throughout our four week tour of Colorado and Texas. Thanks Vanessa!!
We enjoyed our time in San Antonio. Highlights were the Alamo, Tower of The Americas (good deal here on multiple entry tickets) and the Riverwalk.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had an unexpected balcony!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LCandSC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My friend and I went to San Antonio for a night and decided to choose this Best Western because of the value, location and indoor pool/spa. I was so glad we went here because the staff was incredible! Juan was so nice and helpful. Juan mentioned that he was fairly new to the company and area, but he was great! He called us a cab to take us to the Riverwalk, gave us a courtesy card to Mi Tierra, and helped map out our day since we had no clue where to go! I would expect this kind of service when staying at a 5 Star resort, but was so pleasantly surprised that this wonderful service was given at a standard value hotel. Sarah, (I think was her name), was very nice, too. She was very helpful with figuring out where to celebrate Fat Tuesday. The lady who set up the breakfast was so sweet and obviously took pride in her job. She was always asking everyone if they needed anything and cleaning up after everyone.The only downside with staff was a male housekeeper walked into our room without knocking. I assume he thought the room was unoccupied, but as we are two females, we were lucky that we weren't changing!
The spa was great and seemed clean. The only only reason I did not give 5 stars was because of the pool. I couldn't even put my toes in. It was FREEZING!!! The main reason for picking this hotel in the first place was the indoor pool, and we were not even able to enjoy it because of the unbearable cold water. The hot tub was still nice and was set at a perfect heat.
The rooms were so spacious for the price. I loved the pillows but the mattress was too firm for my standard. (I am a pillowtop user though). The fridge was HUGE. I did not expect it to be as big as it was either. The microwave was perfect. The only downside of room was no ice bin. We managed with a bag, so no big deal. I would suggest putting 4 cups instead of 2. There were so many tv stations to choose from, which is always great.
Overall, I really enjoyed this hotel. The location was prime for the price. The free breakfast was enjoyable. The staff was great. And the hot tub was relaxing. I will be staying here the next time I visit, for sure. Thanks Juan!

Room Tip: I chose a standard king for $76 w/o tax and for two of us, it was wonderful. I think 3 or 4 could de...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The lady at the front desk was warm and welcoming. The rooms were spacious and clean. The continental breakfast waffles were awesome. It is very close to downtown. If you are looking to have dinner, ask the front desk about Mi Tierra's. it's a fabulous Mexican restaurant close by. They will give you cards so you don't have to wait for a table. We were pleasantly surprised with our stay.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Nitaanderson21
Rockport, Texas
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was very happy to bring my cousin here after a bad experience elsewhere. Sarah at the front desk was absolutely a gem! She was helpful, sweet, professional, the room was fantastic. She told us of the order Inn Chinese and it was wonderful. Great rate, Great room. Thanks so much. We will be back.

Room Tip: Great stay, great value
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Katy, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I seached on line for a hotel that could accommodate three families that were working with a budget. I found Best Western through booking.com. We were very impressed with our stay at this hotel. The price was great and the service we received was wonderful. We will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Odenton, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My family and I stayed during a trip to San Antonio for my brothers graduation from the Air Force boot camp. The room was very large, clean, and quiet. We stayed for four nights and never had a single issue. It is about fifteen minutes to Lack land and five from the river walk and Alamo.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jennie V
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The service was excellent. Very convinient. All the attractions are just one or two blocks away from the hotel. The hotel is very nice. I went in December. The lobby looked beautiful. Front desk people are professional and friendly.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hdz5
Riaz A, Manager at Best Western Alamo Suites, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Guests love the fact that the hotel is conveniently located within a mile to the downtown area riverwalk and market square. We hope to see you back on a return trip to San Antonio.