“Good option budget-wise, good location, a few flaws” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites Airport North

Comfort Suites Airport North
Ranked #216 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Good option budget-wise, good location, a few flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed here in early Aug for 4 nights while traveling for work. I was given the first room on the right on the first floor. It may have been designed for accessibility because there was a whirlpool tub/shower that opened up right to the living room. It's a room that would only work if you're comfortable with everyone in the room seeing you get in and out of the shower. Perhaps they gave me this room because I was by myself? Or maybe it was considered an upgrade room because it had the whirlpool tub? I doubt the other rooms are like that.

Good: Good value compared to other hotels in the area (~$70 night with AAA discount). Check-in was efficient and friendly. Room was clean and mostly updated. Breakfast was a bit on the small side but had most everything I like (scrambled eggs, yogurt, sausage). The hotel is close to the airport. There are many, many stores in the area. Bedding was clean with 5 different types of pillows to choose from. My room had a mini-refrigerator and microwave.

Bad: While the room is generally updated, there's some deferred maintenance. Carpets are a little more worn/dirty than an average Comfort Suites. There was a ventilation cover in the bathroom that was rusted. The toilet tank lid had been broken and glued back together. The air conditioner is a little bit louder than normal as it cycles on and off (which it does frequently in summer in San Antonio). While the TV in the room itself was nice, it takes forever to move between channels and I never did find a movie channel if there was one. The shower had a fan over the top, but had no overhead lights, so I showered in semi-darkness each day. Breakfast opened at 6:30am...would really have liked it to start at 6am. Only 1 of the 3 pieces of equipment in the "exercise facility" was functional (fortunately it was the one I use - the treadmill). Also in the exercise room, there was no TV and the water cooler bottle had obviously been refilled with tap water. It's on the 2nd floor, so I was worried I was waking people up as a ran on the treadmill. The elliptical was probably in a dangerous state...someone needs to go in with some tools and tighten it together. The universal weight machine had no bars or attachments present and was unusable. I couldn't control the temperature in the exercise room.

Overall: A good choice if you want to save a little money, but you can see where the lower price is forcing maintenance tradeoffs.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank QDM_AUS
Charlotte Y, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport North, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
QDMVirginia

Thank you so much for sharing your comments. Guest feedback is important to us as it helps us determine what we are doing right, wrong and were we can improve. Your willingness to share your comments is genuinely appreciated. We hope to see you again when you are in San Antonio.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Highland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

We were in San Antonio for a national dive meet. Wanted something not too far from the pool but near attractions too. It is a suite only in the sense of having a bit more room than average. There were 2 queen beds (very comfortable, I might add). There was also a desk, a sofa, and a chair. The setup was perfect for 2 of us. It would have been tight for a week with our family of 5 (3 teens).

It was worn around the edges, but it was clean and comfortable. Other hotel rooms in the area were $50 a night more. Over 5 nights, that's a substantial sum. I'm ok with saving a little money and not caring if the carpet has a snag and the sink is cracked. We appreciated the little store with ice cream, frozen meals, and snacks. We liked having the microwave and fridge. Breakfast was typical. However, I have to rave that the eggs were amazing. I normally wouldn't eat them in this kind of setup, but I needed some quick protien. Hat's off to the chef!

Finally, I personally found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. I overheard them helping a guest find a hair dresser and they helped us find a doctor. Also, we arrived 3 hours before checkin, but had a meet in the afternoon. Front desk quickly found us a room so my diver could get some rest before the event. It's a very inexpensive alternative. If you want better than home, it costs more.

Room Tip: Book the 3rd floor for quite.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank R0cky3
R0cky3

Thank you for your review!
We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your review will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Cedar Park, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I arrived on a Friday night and saw that the hotel was definitely older and needed some work. Whatever, I thought, I'm only here to sleep and shower. The rooms were in ok condition, but the real issue here was the staff and the lack of desire to keep the stay comfortable for guests. I worked and traveled all day and wanted to get in and get some rest before meeting with friends and family later that evening. It didn't happen. I contacted the front desk THREE times before 8 PM for the following reasons:

* Kids literally holding sprint races in the hallway
* Adults cheering them on and screaming in the hall
* Loud music and singing in the halls and in the rooms.

After coming back in for the night (around 1:30 AM), the partying continued. I called the front desk and the night clerk seemed so irritated that there wasn't anything being done / could be done. The noise continued until about 8 am and promptly started up again around noon when the kids woke up.

As I left for the afternoon on Saturday, I mentioned the noise to the clerk. He looked so upset about it and sharply said "I know about it already." My next question was "Well, why isn't anything being done?" No answer. When I finally came back late at night (after 2 a.m.) the hotel was quiet and there were chaperons in the hallways, ensuring that things were kept quiet. That only worked for so long, since I heard yelling and doors slamming around 4 a.m.

I'll never stay here again. Never have I been to a hotel where management cared less for guests, let alone Elite Platinum members. I never did receive a follow up about my complaints, and as is customary, I didn't receive a survey for this stay.

Room Tip: If you're ok with some noise and less-than-thrilled employees, call ahead and find out if there...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Adrian S.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us in July.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Enjoyed stay. Staff was nice and helpful. Room was nice. Place was comfortable and relaxing. Microwave and refrigerator in room was definitely a plus. Hotel is in good location, being near Ihop, Target, and Luby's, just to name a few. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a high school swim meet - two adults and two teenagers. It was clean enough and the beds were comfortable enough but it is very small to be called a suite. The room was essentially an older hotel room that had a small couch, fridge and microwave added. Water pressure from the shower head was weak. My iPad charger didn't fit the outlet on the bedside table. Breakfast was barely average with toasters that barely warmed a bagel in far too much time. But I must add the Texas waffles were good according to my husband and daughter. For the price, it falls short of expectations.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Cody, Wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

We got in on Delta, well after midnight. The rooms were NOT suites at all-just small dingy motel rooms with a STAINED Bed Cover, and weren't clean at all! I walked in to the "breakfast area" a few minutes late-asking for a toaster (the breakfast wasn't torn completely down yet), and asked for the toaster to toast a piece of bread? The bread was still out, but the toaster had been taken to a little adjoining room, and the woman REFUSED to let me do that!! We didn't get to bed until around 2 AM, and even bought a small microwaveable pizza to eat before bed. After this treatment, I'll never stay at a COmfort SUITES???,again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is a very new or updated property. The rooms were clean and modern, flat screen TV's and all the amenities one could hope for (even toothpaste). The lobby area and business center are welcoming and well appointed. The girl behind the front desk was friendly and knowledgable. Very large breakfast area.

Room Tip: 3 floors so request a top floor in case you can't hear people walking over you.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple