“The Night Could have been better!!!”

Comfort Suites Airport North
Ranked #230 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“The Night Could have been better!!!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I am a choice rewards member and have enjoyed the comfort inn hotels. I was about to embark on a ski trip and wanted to be close to the airport for a 530 am flight. The hotel is close no more than about two miles. The problem was not with the location, the room when we finally got it was nice but getting there was only half the battle. About two days before my trip I got a call from a manager and asked me if I could stay at another Comfort a little further away on the north side of 35. I stated the reason I was staying at the Airport location and they said ok but they were over booked, no offer of a comp or extra points were made. I had made the reservation several weeks before the trip. Got to the hotel and was told they were overbooked, not my problem and they had one room left and it did not have a key?? What? No Key? they were going to buzz me in from the front desk. I had also asked for two beds since we had a child with us and the buzz room was only one King, Said nope, give me the room I had reserved. They said well ok, but the next person who is expecting that room will not be happy, Wait a minute I am in Front of you, I will not be happy with a room you have to buzz me into and only one bed. Like I said got to the room, clean, two beds and got a nights sleep until 3 am. Left and went to Park City for a few days skiing and forgot the ordeal at Comfort.

Room Tip: Do not let them give you the room they have to Buzz you in from the front desk.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We chose this hotel as we were visiting family members who live close-by. It was a very pleasant stay at a good price. Our check-in was quick and even a bit early. The complimentary hot breakfast was indeed a hot breakfeast including meat items. We were pleasantly surprised how quiet it was, especially considering it wasn't far from a well traveled highway. The room ( a handicaped room) was clean and comfortable. We will be keeping this place in mind when making future travel plans.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlotte Y, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport North, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
HI! I am so glad we met your expectations on your recent visit. We strive to provide clean rooms at an affordable price. We hope you will stay with us again when out in San Antonio. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments.
Carolinas
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Based on some reviews, I really expected less. What I ended up with was a very clean room and excellent service. The check in couldn't have gone smoother, and Charlotte was very helpful with suggestions about local restaurants, lining up transportation for the airport, etc. For the price, I felt like this was a very good deal. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BigCarolinaTraveler
Thank you so much for staying with us and providing us with your feedback. We love hearing from our guest and really appreciate you taking the time to do so.
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We were pleased with this facility. Price was very reasonable, room was nice, and although not new it was clean and the staff were great. The whirlpool bath was very large and I was a bit concerned that with the ongoing lack of rain in Texas filling it would not be a good idea. Breakfast was fine, location was convenient to the 410 & 1604 loops and a short drive to downtown.
If you need to stay near the airport, give it a try.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom T
Charlotte Y, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport North, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate the comments. We hope to see you in the near future.
Moorpark, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My king suite had a perfectly nice whirlpool bath…in the living room. Since it also incorporates the shower, you’re showering in the living room. There’s no light in that area, so you’re also showering in relative darkness.

Otherwise, I generally liked the room. Since it was a suite it was good sized, with a divider between the living and sleeping areas. The bed was very comfortable. The TV is on a long cabinet and visible from either the bed or the sofa. The workspace is in the sleeping area and has a phone, lamp, and multiple outlets. Internet is free and more or less reliable, although every time your computer goes to sleep you have to go back and accept the conditions again. Annoying. There was also a small fridge and microwave. The bathroom (sans shower) has a good deal of counter space. When I first turned on the water in the sink, it sputtered at me as if it had been turned off for a while. Amenities include soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion.

Since I liked the room I wanted to give three stars, but really can’t. The tub is badly in need of re-caulking. The windows are filthy. The air conditioning is in a wall unit by the bed and is very loud. There’s a clock radio that can blast static at you when it goes off; I had to be grateful for that, since no one answered when I phoned to request a wake-up call. There is no airport shuttle; you can arrange round-trip airport transportation for $18.

The fitness center is poor, with an old elliptical, a treadmill, and a low-end weight machine. There’s a business center with a computer and printer. Desk staff is polite enough, and only at the desk if there’s someone there to serve.

The complimentary breakfast is rudimentary, managing to even make bacon smell bad. There’s a very good Mexican restaurant next door. There are a few others within walking distance if you explore a bit.

I stayed here because I was visiting a company just around the corner. If I visit the same company I might stay here again for the convenience, but it won’t be my first choice.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Charlotte Y, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport North, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your thoughts and input on your recent stay. I will be reviewing your suggestions with our management team to ensure we correct the issues you have mentioned such as re caulking of tub and fitness center equipment. I would like to mention that we do offer several options for our Jacuzzi suites, not all are in the living room. Taxi fare is taken care of by us if the reservation is booked on choicehotels.com or directly with us. Again, thank you for your comments as they help us know what we are doing right, doing wrong and where we can improve.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Great location along freeway just minutes from the airport. When I pulled up, I notices "comfort suites" on the building had half the letters broken; not a good first impression. Charlotte checked me in; very pleasant. She imprinted my credit card which was the third time this week in San Antonio my credit card was imprinted by Comfort Suites. I explained the identity theft issue; she said it's for disputed charges. My card is on file, I just signed the checkin form acknowledging charges, so what am I disputing? She was very nice, removed the imprint, and gave it to me. She gets 5 stars for respecting the concerns of her guests.
The room was comfortable but the bathroom was not very fuctional. The mirror was horizontal instead of verticle and the light over the mirror funneled the light towards the ceiling instead of downward toward the mirror and sink. Because the mirror was placed incorrectly, it was only 5 feet high; so anybody over 5 ft tall has to duck to shave, comb, brush teeth, makeup, etc. and there is little direct light to help out with those tasks. Breakfast was what you'd expect from this chain; eggs were quite soggy but everything else was good.

Room Tip: Room 200 has a bathroom with bad lighting and a useless mirror.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dcjw700
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed here in early Aug for 4 nights while traveling for work. I was given the first room on the right on the first floor. It may have been designed for accessibility because there was a whirlpool tub/shower that opened up right to the living room. It's a room that would only work if you're comfortable with everyone in the room seeing you get in and out of the shower. Perhaps they gave me this room because I was by myself? Or maybe it was considered an upgrade room because it had the whirlpool tub? I doubt the other rooms are like that.

Good: Good value compared to other hotels in the area (~$70 night with AAA discount). Check-in was efficient and friendly. Room was clean and mostly updated. Breakfast was a bit on the small side but had most everything I like (scrambled eggs, yogurt, sausage). The hotel is close to the airport. There are many, many stores in the area. Bedding was clean with 5 different types of pillows to choose from. My room had a mini-refrigerator and microwave.

Bad: While the room is generally updated, there's some deferred maintenance. Carpets are a little more worn/dirty than an average Comfort Suites. There was a ventilation cover in the bathroom that was rusted. The toilet tank lid had been broken and glued back together. The air conditioner is a little bit louder than normal as it cycles on and off (which it does frequently in summer in San Antonio). While the TV in the room itself was nice, it takes forever to move between channels and I never did find a movie channel if there was one. The shower had a fan over the top, but had no overhead lights, so I showered in semi-darkness each day. Breakfast opened at 6:30am...would really have liked it to start at 6am. Only 1 of the 3 pieces of equipment in the "exercise facility" was functional (fortunately it was the one I use - the treadmill). Also in the exercise room, there was no TV and the water cooler bottle had obviously been refilled with tap water. It's on the 2nd floor, so I was worried I was waking people up as a ran on the treadmill. The elliptical was probably in a dangerous state...someone needs to go in with some tools and tighten it together. The universal weight machine had no bars or attachments present and was unusable. I couldn't control the temperature in the exercise room.

Overall: A good choice if you want to save a little money, but you can see where the lower price is forcing maintenance tradeoffs.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank QDM_AUS
Charlotte Y, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport North, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
QDMVirginia

Thank you so much for sharing your comments. Guest feedback is important to us as it helps us determine what we are doing right, wrong and were we can improve. Your willingness to share your comments is genuinely appreciated. We hope to see you again when you are in San Antonio.