“Not what I was expecting.”

Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market
Ranked #59 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I am currently staying at this hotel and the only reason I am still here is because I pre-paid! The hotel over all is ok, but upon check in the gentleman that checked in before me was given really great service and was asked if he wanted a tour of the hotel and was also told what breakfast hours were. I however did not get the same welcome nor explained anything about breakfast or hotel. The best I got was "Good thing you brought blankets" I said why is that and the response was "Because we are out". Hmmm, should have been my first clue. The room, like I said, is ok other than the fact that the bathroom is SMALL! There is hardly room for you to get in without a battle with the door. The shower has a half glass pane and leaks all over the floor.

Now on to breakfast. It's sub par if that! Yesterday was our first experience and let me say it was crazy!! I am completely understanding that it is Spring Break, and it will be busy. This was awful. Not enough food, not enough staff to work it. Let it slide and then went down this morning. It was worse. Having to wait for food, not enough plates or bowls or anything else. I asked for a plastic spoon from the cafe and was told to wait and they would get me silverware. They never came back. Luckily my daughter had a plastic one. The sandwiches were cold in the center. The plates were all wet and the bowl I picked up was wet, with a long hair in it. They never offered to get me another. When the lady brought out sandwiches I told her I needed 4 and she just seemed annoyed. At 9:30 ON THE DOT they pulled everything! If they are behind, they should keep serving a little longer. Then as we were sitting there, while one of my kids couldn't even get cereal, one of the employees walks by with a nice French Toast breakfast and that was not even served today! I can keep going, but this sums it up for the most part.

Last..I came in the hotel yesterday and did not have a key. I went to the front desk and stood for over 5 min. Nobody came up. Phone kept ringing and ringing. I finally had to go to the General Manager's office where he and the front desk clerk were sitting in there laughing and having a great time, while customers waited.

I do not think I have ever had such an experience. Again, had I of not prepaid I would leave.

• Stayed: March 2014
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Nicole M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide with your comments on Trip Advisor. I wish to extend our heartfelt apologies for the issues encountered during your visit. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay and that you left with a negative impression of us.

We realize you have a choice when staying in San Antonio and I’d like to invite you back to give us another opportunity to show you the type of service and product we are proud to deliver. Please contact me directly when your travels bring you back to San Antonio so I may personally handle your arrangements. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chris M. Arango

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at this Hyatt property for one very quick night. Admittedly, it was a place to "crash" after a long day's drive to watch my son's high school sporting event in San Antonio. The property is located right off 281 and is a minute or two drive to San Antonio's Alamo Quarry Market shopping and entertainment area as well as being close to the airport. I was surprised at how spacious the room was with a separate living room area complete with refrigerator, coffee maker and desk. The shower was rather nice and there was plenty of room to maneuver in the bathroom area. The flat screen TV swiveled so you could watch it from the bed or from the living area. I did not experience the complimentary breakfast as the breakfast area was mobbed and had insufficient seating. Check in was a bit unusual as I couldn't tell whether the front desk was for hotel check in or for restaurant check in. Either way, it wasn't as efficient as one might have expected. All in all, given the surprisingly spacious room, the close approximation to Quarry Market and freeway access, I came away with a positive experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Trip Tex,

A sincere THANK YOU for taking the time to provides us with your positive feedback on
Trip Advisor. It’s a fabulous feeling to read positive comments like yours to the team, and to ownership.

Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport hotel. If there is anything else we can do for you, please don’t hesitate to ask. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport hotel “real” soon!

Warmest regards,

Chris

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I planned a long weekend trip to San Antonio for our anniversary, which just happens to be Valentine's Day. I spent a couple of weeks agonizing over where to stay and how much to spend. We have been several times before so we were flexible on location. Due to the holiday and several events going on, most of the hotels on the Riverwalk were booked up. Those that were available were beyond what we wished to pay. We finally decided on the Hyatt Place and were very pleased. The hotel is conveniently located on Hwy 281, which made getting anywhere very easy. Our rate was about $140 a night with tax and included free parking and free breakfast. The room, located on the 3rd floor, was very clean. It included a sofa with chaise lounge, king bed, large television, desk and chair, mini fridge and bathroom with walk in shower. The housekeeping did a great job every day and the room was always clean. I was a little worried about highway noise, but we never heard any. The only complaint would be that the temperature of the room never seemed to get just right. The air conditioner was a little noisy, but would cool the room down and then we would wake up in the middle of the night too hot. While not perfect, it was not something that would keep us from staying there again.
We arrived in the lobby late the first morning for breakfast, but still found a place to sit and food available. They had 2 skillets of egg dishes, breads, yogurts, and other things. I did not see fresh whole fruit, although it could have been all gone by the time we arrived. Although the selections were small, we found plenty to satisfy us.
Due to the convenient location we recommend this hotel for people wanting to see more of San Antonio than just downtown. We easily traveled downtown, as well as to the Mission Trail and the Botanical Gardens.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Free2bee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback on Trip Advisor . I sincerely enjoying reading comments like yours, and exceeding our guest expectations.

I would like to aplogize for the issues you encountered with your a/c unit while you were here. I am pleased that despite this issue with your a/c that you enjoyred your stay.

Should you find yourself coming back to San Antonio I would like to invite you back to the Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport and I will personnally oversee your reservation process. Again thank you for your wonderful comments and we hope to see you back soon at the Hyatt Place.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Beautifully updated former AmeriSuites. The hotel was really nicely done. Great complimentary breakfast, a small bar and 24-hour snacks made it very convenient. The front desk staff didn't quite have it together. Everything seemed unorganized. Probably 2 hours after we checked in, another guest opened our door. They had obviously assigned him the same room. Mistakes happened, but I had to go stand in line to get OUR keys reprogrammed. Review would definitely have been better if this had not happened. Convenient location, good place. Close to Quarry Market.

Room Tip: We were on the back of the hotel. Very Quiet. Not sure about the front (near Hwy. 281)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Ed E,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments on Trip Advisor. I wish to extend our heartfelt apologies for the issues encountered during your visit. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay and that you left with a negative impression of us.

Security and the safety of our guest is a top priority here at the Hyatt Place Airport/Quarry Market. Please know that what you encountered was an isolated event and not a normal occurrance here at Hyatt Place Quarry Market.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Sloppy operation for Hyatt. Stayed 3 times over 10 days & found new staff each stay. Advertise airport transfers, but our party & 2 others, waited 55 minutes after calling the hotel, & it's less than 10 minutes away. Rooms standard Hyatt Place offering, & housekeeping is top notch, but there are obvious operational problems. Breakfast service was haphazard & unacceptable each morning of our visit. Had a group in the hotel during 1 stay, & the property was so seriously understaffed & overwhelmed at breakfast that it was an embarrassment to Hyatt, & we felt sorry for the staff who were on duty. Most food offerings were empty & no coffee for long periods, & then either filled with coffee grounds, or improperly brewed & undrinkable, which resulted in dozens of 1/2 filled cups all over the lobby. Not a clean table anywhere in the lobby when we arrived at 9:00A. Management clearly failed to staff properly. The staff who were on duty were pleasant, courteous & apologetic, but that didn't make up for the inferior service levels.

Room Tip: INSIST on even-numbered rooms. Odd-numbered rooms face the freeway intersection, which is why the ho...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear SMVHOU,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your experience at Hyatt Place Quarry Market. I wish to express my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered with transportation as well as during breakfast. Let me assure you that what you experienced was the exception and definitely not the normal level of service we offer here at the HyattPlace. I can offer no excuse or explanation – only my apologies and invitation to return. Please contact me personally when your travels bring you back to San Antonio so I may handle the arrangements and ensure a flawless experience. I hope you will accept our apologies and give us a opportunity to give you a true Hyatt experience.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Good -

Check-in was great. Friendly staff

Room was super clean. Didn't find a spec of dust anywhere.

Good shower pressure and warm water - nice walk in shower too

Location - excellent if you need to stay close to the airport yet would like to go shopping or dining. Very close to the Quarry Market area which has plenty of both.

TV - Huge flat screen TV with HD channels that actually work. Been to a lot of Hyatt's here lately where the screen was fuzzy and the channel selection was weak.

Bad -

Tried to plug in my laptop somewhere near the bed. Found the the AC plugs are almost completely covered by the head board. Even the lamp cord was jammed into the small space. My recommendation is simple and cost effective - mount one of those 4-outlet things on the nightstand like a lot of Hyatt Regeny hotels have. It makes a HUGE difference to business travelers and other travelers alike to have plenty of AC outlet options near the bed.

The other annoyance is the air conditioning unit. Please tell me you have a plan to replace these monster AC/Heat units that are as loud as airplane engines. No wonder you included a new set of ear plugs on each night stand. I would have needed them had it been to cold or hot in the room. Thankfully I was visiting during a 70-degree period and didn't need to run the unit. But it was on when I checked in and it was extremely loud.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Ravenboy,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments on Trip Advisor. I wish to extend our heartfelt apologies for the issues encountered with your a/c unit during your visit. We are disappointed that you were not you left with a negative impression of us.

I would also thank you for your feedback regarding the outlets in your room, it is comments like these that give us the opportunity to help improve the level of service we provide our guest.Guest satisfaction is a top priority here at the Hyatt Place Airport/Quarry Market.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014