“Another fun visit!”

Tower of the Americas
Book In Advance
US$49.99*
and up
San Antonio River Walk Cruise, Hop-On Hop-Off Tour and Tower of the Americas...
US$42.11*
and up
San Antonio Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour, River Cruise, and Tower of the...
US$62.00*
Executive Downtown San Antonio Segway Tour
Ranked #32 of 267 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: This 750-foot tower built for the 1968 HemisFair has unbeatable panoramic views, especially if you're in the tower's revolving restaurant.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We ascended to the top a little after 8:00pm so we could take in the sunset, which was beautiful! Very windy on the observation deck (duh!) but so much fun! Indoors we liked the map key, so that we could identify certain buildings and landmarks. Spent time in the bar. Good service, tasty beverages, more good views. Descended after an hour at the top. Watched the 4D movie. I had seen it before but it was still fun! There was a sweet girl working there.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Read a review on Trip Advisor that told about the bar Happy Hour and food prices. That was a GREAT tip even though we are not big drinkers. The bar is just below the observation deck and just above the rotating restaurant, which you can look down on from the bar area. Seating around the railing is a bit low, but comfortable. Happy hour offerings of drinks and appetizers were VERY reasonably priced and included a trip up to the observation deck which is $10 alone for adults. Most drinks and appetizers range from $4 to $6 and all were very tasty. We had spinach & artichoke dip, lettuce wraps, and pork sliders as well as 2 drinks and a trip to the upper deck for about $30/35 total including tip! Relaxing way to have a light dinner, see the view and enjoy some romance. Happy hour times are from 4:30pm until 7:00, so lasts a good long time. This would be really awesome when the days are shorter because this time would also fall during darker hours so you can see the city by night as well. Watching the diners rotating below was also an unusual and fun addition w/o spending the high price of actually eating in the restaurant. Same appetizers were on the regular menu at the restaurant for about double the price when not Happy Hour. This was a good deal. Thanks to TA reviewers for the head up suggestion!

1  Thank Sonworshipper
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Our family went on vacation in San Antonio and we enjoyed our visit to the tower. The views from the observation deck were awesome! We thought that the 4D movie was going to be the high light of our visit. I must admit, we were disappointed. It was ok, the chairs move, you have on 4D glasses which gives you a virtual reality experience. But you get squirted in the face with water a few times, and it's kind of unpleasant. At $11.00 per person, I don't feel that the experience was a good value. I would have been satisfied with paying about $6.00 per person. Valuing the observation deck at $4.00 per person and the 4D movie at $2.00 per person.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Don't miss this attraction. It's reasonably priced and gives outstanding views of San Antonio from 750' up. There's plenty to see inside and outside while you're at the top. Don't miss the chance to walk around the tower from the outdoor deck. The winds will give you an appreciation of how high you are. And if that doesn't do it, you'll figure it out once you feel the tower move underneath you. I couldn't stay very long in the observatory deck because I was going through mild vertigo because the tower was literally swaying amid high cross winds. I later learned the tower is engineered to "sway" albeit by just a few centimeters, but you will definitely feel it. If you get bad motion sickness, you might want to avoid the upper deck or limit the duration of your visit. The winds at the top can be strong despite that surface winds may be calm. Don't miss the 4D show in the ground lobby. It runs every 20 minutes.

1  Thank David E
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I visited the Tower of the Americas the second evening of my visit to San Antonio and wanted to maximize the experience. After using an online coupon to get reduced admission, I went to the Chart House bar for happy hour. The view from there is already impressive.

After a long wait for the elevator to go up 1 floor to the observation deck, I got to see the sunset from the highest place in San Antonio. Being such a big city, I was expecting a more impressive skyline, but there aren't too many tall buildings in the city. This particular evening was a bit hazy, so the sunset was not great, but still decent.

I also went to the theater show - Skies over Texas. Warning, if you have a backache or are deathly afraid of snakes, don't go. Don't want to give away the surprises of the show, but everyone should have some fair warning.

Been to Tower of the Americas? Share your experiences!